A 50-year audit of maternal mortality in the Peninsula Maternal and Neonatal Service, Cape Town (1953–2002)
Article first published online: 28 JAN 2005
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Special Issue: Developing World Issue
Volume 112, Issue 9, pages 1257–1263, September 2005
How to Cite
Fawcus, S.R., van Coeverden de Groot, H.A. and Isaacs, S. (2005), A 50-year audit of maternal mortality in the Peninsula Maternal and Neonatal Service, Cape Town (1953–2002). BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 112: 1257–1263. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2005.00601.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 28 JAN 2005
- 2Department of Health Report on Health and Social Subjects. Report on confidential enquiries into maternal deaths in England and Wales 1982–1984. HMSO 1989;34: 140–151.
- 3Department of Health. Why mothers die? 1997–1999. The Fifth Report of the Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. London: RCOG Press, 2001.
- 4The global problem of maternal mortality: inequalities and inequities. In: MacleanAB, NeilsonJ, editors. Maternal Morbidity and Mortality. London: RCOG, 2002..
- 5Preventing Maternal Deaths. Geneva: WHO publications, 1989: 14–18 [chapter 2]., .
- 6The Safe Motherhood Initiative: a call to action. Lancet 1987: 268–270..
- 7World Health Organisation. Maternal mortality: helping women off the road to death. WHO Chronicle 1986;40(5):175–183.
- 9Saving Mothers. First Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in South Africa. Pretoria: Department of Health, 1998.
- 10The Peninsula Maternity and Neonatal Service, an urban community perinatal programme. S Afr Med J 1982;61: 35–39., , .
- 13Maternal mortality in Cape Town, 1978–1983. S Afr Med J 1986;69: 797–802..
- 14World Health Organisation. International Classification of Diseases. Manual of the international statistical classification of diseases, injuries and causes of death. Ninth revision. Geneva, 1977.
- 16Preventing Maternal Deaths. Geneva: WHO Publication, 1989: 96–100 [chapter 5]., .
- 17Egypt 1992 to 2000 in Reducing Maternal Mortality. In: Koblinsky, editor. Washington DC: World Bank Publication, 2003: 93–111 [chapter 6].
- 20Saving Mothers. Second Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths. South Africa 1999–2001. Pretoria: Department of Health, 2003.
- 24Did maternal mortality ratio increase in Malawi between 1992–1998? Review of Malawi Demographic and Health Surveys and other data sources. Trop Doct 2003;33: 182–185., .