Trends in maternal obesity incidence rates, demographic predictors, and health inequalities in 36 821 women over a 15-year period
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2006
RCOG 2006 BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 114, Issue 2, pages 187–194, February 2007
How to Cite
Heslehurst, N., Ells, L., Simpson, H., Batterham, A., Wilkinson, J. and Summerbell, C. (2007), Trends in maternal obesity incidence rates, demographic predictors, and health inequalities in 36 821 women over a 15-year period. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 114: 187–194. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2006.01180.x
- Issue online: 9 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2006
- Accepted 17 October 2006. Published OnlineEarly 4 December 2006.
- 1Department of Health. Health Survey for England 2003. HMSO: London, 2003.
- 2Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health. Why mothers die 2000-2002. RCOG: London, 2004.
- 3North East Public Health Observatory. OP22: maternal obesity and pregnancy outcome: a scoping study. 2006 [www.nepho.org.uk]. Accessed 22 May 2006.
- 6Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD). The English Indices of Deprivation. Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, 2000. [www.odpm.gov.uk]. Accessed 22 May 2006.
- 7Department of the Environment Transport and the Regions (DETR). Measuring Multiple Deprivation at the Small Area Level: The Indices of Deprivation 2000. Department of the Environment Transport and the Regions, 2000. [www.communities.gov.uk]. Accessed 25 April 2006.
- 8Census Standard Tables: ST001 Age by Sex and Marital Status, ST028 Sex and Age by Economic Activity, ST101 Sex and Age by Ethnic Group, ST007 Age of FRP (Family Reference Person) and Number and Age of Dependent Children by Family Type. Office of National Statistics, 2001. [www.census.ac.uk]. Accessed 30 March 2006.
- 9South East Public Health Observatory. Choosing Health in the South East: Obesity, 2005. [www.SEPHO.org.uk]. Accessed 30 April 2006.
- 10Comptroller and Auditor General. Tackling Childhood Obesity—The First Steps. London: The Stationary Office, 2006. Accessed 22 May 2006.
- 11Department of Health. Delivering Choosing Health: Making Healthier Choices Easier. London: Department of Health, 2005.
- 13National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence. Obesity consultation. 2006 [www.nice.org.uk]. Accessed 22 May 2006.
- 16Obesity is associated with increased risk of first trimester and recurrent miscarriage: matched case–control study. Hum Reprod 2004;19:1644., , .
- 20Confidential Enquiry into Maternal Deaths. Why Mothers Die 1997–1999. RCOG: London, 2001.
- 21Health Committee. Obesity—Third report of session 2003–2004. Vol 1, HC 23.1. HMSO: London, 2004.
- 25House of Commons Health Committee. Inequalities in Access to Maternity Services. London: The Stationary Office, 2003.