Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Creative Commons Deed, Attribution 2.5, which does not permit commercial exploitation.
The impact of psychological abuse by an intimate partner on the mental health of pregnant women
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2008
2008 The Authors
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 115, Issue 3, pages 377–384, February 2008
How to Cite
Tiwari, A., Chan, K., Fong, D., Leung, W., Brownridge, D., Lam, H., Wong, B., Lam, C., Chau, F., Chan, A., Cheung, K. and Ho, P. (2008), The impact of psychological abuse by an intimate partner on the mental health of pregnant women. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 115: 377–384. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2007.01593.x
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2008
- Accepted 12 October 2007.
- 3Psychological abuse and posttraumatic stress disorder in battered women: examining the roles of shame and guilt. Violence Vict 2001;16:65–78., .
- 9Intimate Partner Violence Surveillance: Uniform Definitions and Recommended Data Elements. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1999., , , .
- 12World Health Organization. The World Health Report. Chapter 1: A public health approach to mental health. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2001 [www.who.int/whr/2001/chapter1/en/index1.html]. Accessed 16 July 2007.
- 15How to Score the SF-12 Physical and Mental Health Summary Scales, 2nd edn. Boston, MA: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, 1995., , .
- 22The social psychology of Chinese people. In: BondMH, editor. The Psychology of the Chinese People. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 1986. pp. 213–66., .
- 24Psychological abuse: a variable deserving critical attention in domestic violence. Violence Vict 1999;14:3–23..
- 26Violence against women in Hong Kong. In: CheungFM, KarlekarM, De DiosA, Vichit-VadakanJ, QuisumbingL, editors. Breaking the Silence: Violence Against Women in Asia. Hong Kong: Equal Opportunities Commission; 1999. pp. 38–58., , .
- 27The role of emotional abuse in physically abusive relationships. J Fam Violence 1990;5:107–20., , , , .
- 28Psychological abuse between adult partners: prevalence and impact on partners and children. In: AbateLL, editor. Handbook of Developmental Family Psychology and Psychopathology. New York, NY: Wiley; 1994. pp. 330–49., .
- 29The impact of different forms of psychological abuse on battered women. Violence Vict 1999;14:105–17., .
- 33Women’s Aid Federation of England. Health and domestic violence—principles of good practice for working with women with mental health issues: guidance for local domestic violence services. Bristol, UK: Women’s Aid Federation, 2005 [www.womensaid.org.uk/landing_page.asp]. Accessed 16 July 2007.
- 34Joint Department of Health and National Institute for Mental Health in England. Victims of Violence and Abuse Prevention Programme. Tackling the Health and Mental Health Effects of Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse. London, UK: Department of Health, 2006.