Choice and birth method: mixed-method study of caesarean delivery for maternal request
Article first published online: 22 APR 2009
© 2009 The Authors Journal compilation © RCOG 2009 BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 116, Issue 7, pages 886–895, June 2009
How to Cite
Kingdon, C., Neilson, J., Singleton, V., Gyte, G., Hart, A., Gabbay, M. and Lavender, T. (2009), Choice and birth method: mixed-method study of caesarean delivery for maternal request. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 116: 886–895. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2009.02119.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 22 APR 2009
- Accepted 3 November 2008. Published Online 22 April 2009.
- 1Patient choice caesarean. ACOG Clin Rev 2000;5:1–15.
- 2The Sociology of Health and Medicine. Cambridge: Polity Press, 1998..
- 5Are you too posh to push? The way you give birth has become a status symbol of our times. And by 2010 half of all women will refuse to endure the pain of natural birth. Daily Mail 1999 January 26;36–37..
- 11The National Sentinal Caesarean Section Audit Report. London: RCOG Press, 2001., .
- 13Childbirth Connection. Listening to Mothers II. Survey Report. New York: Childbirth Connection, 2006.
- 19Mothers aren’t behind a vogue for caesareans. Boston Globe 2006;A15., .
- 21Department of Health. Maternity Statistics, England: 2003–04. London: Office of National Statistics, 2005.
- 22Department of Health. Changing Childbirth: Part 1: Report of the Expert Maternity Group. London: HMSO, 1993.
- 23Department of Health. NHS choices: delivering for the NHS. 2008 [http://www.nhs.uk/aboutNHSChoices/Documents/NHSChoices-deliveringforthenhs.pdf]. Accessed 8 April 2008.
- 24Department of Health. Maternity matters: choice, access and continuity of care in a safe service. HMSO, 2007. [http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_073312]. Accessed 3 March 2009.
- 25National Collaborating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health. Caesarean Section Clinical Guideline 2004. London: RCOG Press, 2004.
- 26Merseyside and Cheshire Perinatal Annual Report (Including the Isle of Man). Liverpool: Merseyside Perinatal Epidemiology Unit, 2002..
- 29An Expanded Sourcebook: Qualitative Data Analysis, 2nd edn. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 1994., .
- 30Professionals’ Views of the “Dangers” of Self-Help Groups (CRSO Paper 345). Ann Arbor, MI: Center for Research on Social Organisation, 1987..
- 31[Developer] WinMax Pro software for qualitative data analysis. Berlin, Germany, 1998. (Successor Versions since 2001: MAXqda) [http://www.maxqda.com]. Accessed 1 August 2006.
- 32Women’s views towards participating in research in a maternity setting: A longitudinal cohort study. MPhil Thesis, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, 2007.