Preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Authors Journal compilation © RCOG 2009 BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Special Issue: International Reviews
Volume 116, Issue Supplement s1, pages 71–76, October 2009
How to Cite
Mnyani, C. and McIntyre, J. (2009), Preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 116: 71–76. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2009.02312.x
- Issue published online: 4 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2009
- Accepted 13 July 2009.
- 9World Health Organization. Towards Universal Access: Scaling up Priority HIV/AIDS Interventions in the Health Sector: Progress Report, April 2007. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2007.
- 10World Health Organisation. Towards Universal Access. Scaling up Priority HIV/AIDS Interventions in the Health Sector 2008 Progress Report. Geneva: World Health Organisation, 2008.
- 11World Health Organization. Antiretroviral Drugs for treating Pregnant Women and preventing HIV Infection in Infants in Resource-limited Settings: Towards Universal Access. Recommendations for a Public Health Approach. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2006.
- 12US Public Health Service Task Force. Public health service task force recommendations for use of antiretroviral drugs in pregnant HIV-infected women for maternal health and interventions to reduce perinatal HIV transmission in the United States. 29 April 2009 [ http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/PerinatalGL.pdf]. Accessed 1 August 2009.
- 22US Food and Drug Administration. FDA public health advisory for nevirapine (viramune). 19 January 2005 [ http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PublicHealthAdvisories/ucm051674.htm]. Accessed 1 August 2009.
- 23Efavirenz reclassified as FDA pregnancy category D. AIDS Clin Care 2005;17:17..
- 24UNAIDS. AIDS epidemic update: December 2007. Geneva: Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) and World Health Organization (WHO), 2007.
- 29Role of Infant Feeding and HIV in a Severe Outbreak of Diarrhea and Malnutrition among Young Children, Botswana, 2006. Abstract 770. 14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; 2007 February 25–28; Los Angeles. 2007. Foundation for Retrovirology and Human Health, Alexandria, VA., , , et al.
- 34No Benefit of Early Cessation of Breastfeeding at 4 months on HIV-free survival of infants born to HIV-infected mothers in Zambia: The Zambia Exclusive Breastfeeding Study. Abstract 74. 14th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; 2007 February 25–28; Los Angeles. 2007. Foundation for Retrovirology and Human Health, Alexandria, VA., , , et al.
- 39Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV-1 among Breastfeeding Mothers Using HAART: The Kisumu Breastfeeding Study, Kisumu, Kenya, 2003–2007. 15th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; 2008 February 3–6; Boston, MA, 2008. Abstract 45aLB. Foundation for Retrovirology and Human Health, Alexandria, VA., , , , , , et al.
- 41Prevention of Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV-1 through Breastfeeding by treating Mothers Prophylactically with Triple Antiretroviral Therapy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania—The MITRA PLUS Study. 4th IAS Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention; 2007 July 22–25; Sydney. Abstract no. TUAX101”. 2007. International AIDS Society, Geneva., , , , , , et al.
- 43Good Start Study Group, et al. Operational effectiveness of guidelines on complete breast-feeding cessation to reduce mother-to-child transmission of HIV: results from a prospective observational cohort study at routine prevention of mother-to-child transmission sites, South Africa. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2009;50:521–8., , , , , and the
- 47World Health Organization. Strategic Approaches to the Prevention of HIV Infection in Infants. Report of a WHO meeting, Morges, Switzerland, 20–22 March 2002. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002.
- 48Global Partners Forum. Achieving universal access to comprehensive PMTCT services. 26 November 2007 [ http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/mtct/pmtct_scaleup2007/en/index.html]. Accessed 4 December 2007.