Identifying practices and ideas to improve the implementation of maternal mortality reduction programmes: findings from five South Asian countries
Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
© 2009 The Authors Journal compilation © RCOG 2009 BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 117, Issue 3, pages 304–313, February 2010
How to Cite
Hussein, J., Newlands, D., D’Ambruoso, L., Thaver, I., Talukder, R. and Besana, G. (2010), Identifying practices and ideas to improve the implementation of maternal mortality reduction programmes: findings from five South Asian countries. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 117: 304–313. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2009.02457.x
- Issue published online: 12 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 15 DEC 2009
- Accepted 30 October 2009. Published Online 15 December 2009.
- 4Knowledge Translation in Global Health. Bull World Health Organ 2005;83:721–800., , , , .
- 5WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, World Bank. Maternal Mortality in 2005: Estimates developed by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA & The World Bank. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2007 ISBN: 978 92 4 159621 3.
- 6UNICEF. The State of the World’s Children 2008. New York: UNICEF, 2007 ISBN: 978-92-806-4191-2.
- 8Government of India. National Program Implementation Plan RCH Phase II – program document. Undated.
- 9Ministry of Public Health, Islamic Government of Afghanistan. National policy on reproductive health. 2006.
- 10Family Health Division, His Majesty’s Government of Nepal. National safe motherhood plan 2002–2017. 2002.
- 11Bangladesh national strategy for maternal health. 2001.
- 12Government of Pakistan, Ministry of Health. National maternal newborn and child health (MNCH) program 2006–2012, 2006.
- 13UN Inter-Agency Committee on Women and Gender Equality. [http://www.un.org/womenwatch/resources/goodpractices/guideline.html]. Accessed 3 August 2008.
- 14Institute of Rural Health. Database of good practice in rural health and wellbeing. [http://www.ruralhealthgoodpractice.org.uk/index.php?page_name=welcome]. Accessed 19 February 2009.
- 15WHO Pan American Health Organization. Guidelines best practice competition. [http://www.new.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=457&Itemid=207&lang=en]. Accessed 19 February 2009.
- 20Options consultancy services. Nepal safer motherhood project. 2004 [http://www.nsmp.org/index.html]. Accessed 27 March 2008.
- 21WHO. Working Together for Health, The World Health Report 2006. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2006 ISBN 92 4 156317 6.
- 22Policy and management constraints on access to and use of life-saving emergency obstetric care in India. J Am Med Women Assoc 2002;57:165–8..
- 27Referral in pregnancy and childbirth: concepts and strategies. In: De BrouwereV, Van LerbergheW, editors. Safe Motherhood Strategies: A Review of the Evidence. Stud Health Serv Organ Policy 2001; 17; 229–46., .
- 32A conditional cash assistance programme for promoting institutional deliveries among the poor in India: process evaluation results. In: RichardF, WitterS, De BrouwereV, editors. Reducing Financial Barriers to Access to Obstetric Care’. Stud Health Serv Organ Policy 2008; 24: 257–73. [http://www.itg.be/itg/GeneralSite/generalpage.asp?WPID=528&L=E]. Accessed 6 February 2009., , , , .
- 36Reaching the Poor with Health, Nutrition and Population Services: What Works, What Doesn’t, and Why. USA: The World Bank, 2005, pp. 300 ISBN: 0821359614., , .
- 37Reducing financial barriers to obstetric care in low income countries: the need for action. In: RichardF, WitterS, De BrouwereV, editors. Reducing Financial Barriers to Access to Obstetric Care, Stud Health Serv Organ Policy 2008; 24: 257–73. [http://www.itg.be/itg/GeneralSite/generalpage.asp?WPID=528&L=E]. Accessed 6 February 2009., , .
- 40OECD. DAC criteria for evaluating development assistance. [http://www.oecd.org/dac/evaluation]. Accessed 8 July 2007.