Risk factors for surgical site infection following caesarean section in England: results from a multicentre cohort study
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology © 2012 RCOG
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 119, Issue 11, pages 1324–1333, October 2012
How to Cite
Wloch, C., Wilson, J., Lamagni, T., Harrington, P., Charlett, A. and Sheridan, E. (2012), Risk factors for surgical site infection following caesarean section in England: results from a multicentre cohort study. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 119: 1324–1333. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2012.03452.x
- Issue published online: 14 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2012
- Accepted 18 June 2012. Published Online 1 August 2012.
- 1NHS Information Centre. HES online: maternity data. HES website. 22-12-2010 [http://www.hesonline.nhs.uk/Ease/servlet/ContentServer?siteID=1937]. Accessed 30 September 2011.
- 11Saving Mothers’ Lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer: 2006–2008.The Eighth Report of the Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. BJOG 2011;118(Suppl 1):1–203., , , , , , et al.
- 12RCOG Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Classification of urgency of Caesarean section – a continuum of risk. RCOG Royal College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2010 [http://www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/GoodPractice11ClassificationofUrgency.pdf]. Accessed 30 September 2011.
- 15Surgical Site Infection Surveillance Service, Health Protection Agency. Protocol for the surveillance of surgical site infection. Version 5 April 2011. Health Protection Agency. 2011 [http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947388966]. Accessed 30 September 2011.
- 17Department of Health. High impact intervention; care bundle to prevent surgical site infection. clean-safe-care.nhs.uk. 2010 [http://hcai.dh.gov.uk/files/2011/03/2011-03-14-HII-Prevent-Surgical-Site-infection-FINAL.pdf]. Accessed 30 September 2011.
- 18Antibiotic prophylaxis versus no prophylaxis for preventing infection after cesarean section. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010;1:CD007482., .
- 20Results of a multicenter study on risk factors for surgical site infections (SSI) following C-section (CSEC). Am J Infect Control 1996;24:84., , .
- 24National Collaborating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health. NICE clinical guideline 74 surgical site infection – prevention and treatment of surgical site infection. NICE. 2008 [http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG74FullGuideline.pdf]. Accessed 30 September 2011.
- 25Obesity: impediment to wound healing. Crit Care Nurs Q 2003;26:119–32., .
- 27Centre for Maternal and Child Enquiries and Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. CMACE/RCOG joint guideline: management of women with obesity in pregnancy. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. 2010 [http://www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/CMACERCOGJointGuidelineManagementWomenObesityPregnancya.pdf]. Accessed 30 September 2011.
- 33National Obesity Observatory. Epidemiology of maternal obesity. National Obesity Observatory. 2011 [http://www.noo.org.uk/NOO_about_obesity/maternal_obesity/epidemiology]. Accessed 30 September 2011.