Providing one-to-one care in labour. Analysis of ‘Birthrate Plus’ labour ward staffing in real and simulated labour ward environments
Article first published online: 19 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors BJOG An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology © 2012 RCOG
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
Volume 120, Issue 1, pages 100–107, January 2013
How to Cite
Allen, M. and Thornton, S. (2013), Providing one-to-one care in labour. Analysis of ‘Birthrate Plus’ labour ward staffing in real and simulated labour ward environments. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 120: 100–107. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-0528.2012.03483.x
- Issue published online: 12 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 19 OCT 2012
- Accepted 16 July 2012. Published Online 22 October 2012.
- 1Staffing in Meternity Units (Getting the Right People in the Right Place at the Right Time). London: The King’s Fund, 2011., , , , , , et al.
- 3Is midwife workload associated with quality of process of care (continuous electronic fetal monitoring [CEFM]) and neonatal outcome indicators? A prospective study in consultant-led labour wards in Scotland. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol2003;17:369–77., , , , .
- 4Continuous support for women during childbirth. Cochrane Database System Rev2011;2:CD003766., , , , .
- 5Care Quality Commission. Women’s experiences of maternity services 2010. [http://www.cqc.org.uk/aboutcqc/howwedoit/involvingpeoplewhouseservices/patientsurveys/maternityservices.cfm]. Accessed 1 December 2010.
- 6Royal College of Anaesthetists, Royal College of Midwives, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Health RCoPaC. Safer Childbirth: Minimum Standards for the Organisation and Delivery of Care in Labour. London: RCOG Press, 2007.
- 7National Collaborating Centre for Women’s and Children’s Health. Intrapartum Care: Management and Delivery of Care to Women in Labour (CG55). In: National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence. London: RCOG Press, 2007.
- 8Department of Health. Maternity Standard, National Service Framework for Children, Young People and Maternity Services. London: DH Publications, 2004.
- 9Royal College of Midwives. Guidance Paper on Staffing Standard in Midwifery Services. London: Royal College of Midwives, 2009.
- 11Birthrate Plus: A Framework for Workforce Planning and Decision Making for Midwifery Services. Books for Midwives Press, Hale, Cheshire, UK: Hochland & Holland, 1996., .
- 12Birthrate Plus Programme: a basis for staffing standards?Br J Midwifery2003;11:264–6., , , .
- 14Distributed simulation with COTS simulation packages: a case study in health care supply chain simulation. In: Proceedings of the 2006 Winter Simulation Conference. Monterey, CA, USA. December 3–6, 2006; pp. 1136–42. Download from Brunel University Research Archive, 2006 (http://dspace.brunel.ac.uk/bitstream/2438/4001/3/Dist%20Sim%20with%20Simul8%20HLA.pdf)., , , .
- 18Managing unnecessary variability in patient demand to reduce nursing stress and improve patient safety. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf2005;31:330–8., , , , .
- 19Why do midwives leave? (Not) being the kind of midwife you want to be. Br J Midwifery2006;14:27–31., , .
- 21Managing variation in demand: lessons from the UK National Health Service. J Healthc Manag2006;51:309–22., , .