How does your searching grow? A survey of search preferences and the use of optimal search strategies in the identification of qualitative research
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2004
Health Information & Libraries Journal
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 21–32, March 2004
How to Cite
Grant, M. J. (2004), How does your searching grow? A survey of search preferences and the use of optimal search strategies in the identification of qualitative research. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 21: 21–32. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-1842.2004.00483.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2004
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2004
- 3Use of two online services as drug information sources for health professionals. Methods of Information in Medicine 1992, 311, 153–8., &
- 6Centre for Evidence Based Medicine. Searching for best evidence in clinical journals. 2003. Available from: http://www.cebm.net/searching.asp.
- 7Health Care Practice Research and Development Unit. Searching for qualitative research studies on the medline database. 14 May, 2001. Available from: http://www.fhsc.salford.ac.uk/hcprdu/projects/qebp_2001ppt
- 8NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Searching for best evidence in clinical journals. April, 2002. Available from: http://www.york.ac.uk/Institute/crd/search.htm
- 9Public Health Resource Unit. Filters. 3 February, 2003. Available from: http://www.phru.org.uk/~casp/filters.htm.
- 10UK Clearing House on Health Outcomes. Information sheets. March, 1997. Available from: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/nuffield/infoservices/UKCH/sheets.html
- 11University of Rochester Medical Center. Nesbit guide to evidence based resources: tools and search filters. 2003. Available from: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/hslt/miner/digital_library/evidence_based_resources.cfm
- 12Qualitative Research Methods in Health Technology Assessment: A Review of the Literature. Southampton: National Co-Ordinating Centre for Health Technology Assessment, 1998., , , &
- 13Research design in ethnography. In: DE 304 Course Team, eds. Research Methods in Education and the Social Sciences. Milton Keynes: Open University Press, 1979.
- 14The logics of qualitative research. In: Miller, G. & Dingwall, R., eds. Context and Methods in Qualitative Research. London: Sage, 1997.
- 1618 October, 1999. Available from: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2ind9910&Levidence-based-libraries&PR2&I-1[no subject]
- 1731 July, 1999. Available from: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2ind9907&Levidence-based-health&PR10156&I-1Re: common sense and the standard of truth …
- 18Canadian Task Force on the Periodic Health Examination. The periodic health examination. Canadian Medical Association Journal 1979, 121, 1193–254.
- 19Centre for Evidence Based Medicine. Levels of evidence and grades of recommendations. 2003. Available from: http://www.cebm.net/levels_of_evidence.asp
- 20Qualitative research and evidence based healthcare. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 1998, 35, 32–7.&
- 21Evidence Based Healthcare: How to Make Health Policy and Management Decisions. London: Churchill Livingstone, 1997..
- 22Evidence Based Healthcare: How to Make Health Policy and Management Decisions. 2nd edn. London: Churchill Livingstone, 2001.
- 23Developing evidence based social care policy and practice. Part Three: Feasibility of Undertaking Systematic Reviews in Social Care. Leeds: University of Leeds. Nuffield Institute for Health, 2002., , , &
- 24Developing a review question: a spiral approach to literature searching. 3rd Symposium on Systematic Reviews: Beyond the Basics, Oxford, 3–5 July 2000. 2000.&
- 25NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Undertaking Systematic Reviews of Research on Effectiveness: CRD's Guidance for Those Carrying Out or Commissioning Reviews. Report number 4, 2nd edn. York: CRD, 2001.
- 27Cochrane Qualitative Methods Network. Cochrane qualitative methods network. January, 2000. Available from: http://www.iphrp.salford.ac.uk/cochrane/homepage.htm
- 28Cochrane Qualitative Methods Network. Network members. January, 2000. Available from: http://www.iphrp.salford.ac.uk/cochrane/methods.htm
- 29Research Methods in Health: Investigating Health and Health Services. Buckingham: Open University Press, 1997.
- 30Qualitative Data Analysis: an Expanded Sourcebook. 2nd edn. London: Sage Publication, 1994.&
- 33Effective Literature Searching for Research. 2nd edn. Aldershot: Gower, 2000.
- 34Narrative Based Medicine: Dialogue and Discourse in Clinical Practice. London: BMJ Publications, 1998.
- 37Searching for qualitative research studies on the medline database: the development of an optimal search strategy. Masters Dissertation. Aberystwyth: University of Wales—Aberystwyth, Department of Information and Library Studies, 2001.
- 38University of Rochester Medical Center. Evidence-Based Filters for OVID cinahl. 2003. Available from: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/hslt/miner/digital_library/evidence_based_resources.cfm#TOOLS
- 40Which database? Which interface? In: Booth, A. & Brice, A., eds. Evidence Based Practice: a Handbook for Information Professionals. London: Facet Publishing, 2004.
- 41Department of Health. Information for Health: an Information Strategy for the Modern NHS 1998–2005: a National Strategy for Local Implementation. London: Department of Health, 1998.