The role of reflection in the library and information sector: a systematic review
Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2007
Health Information & Libraries Journal
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 155–166, September 2007
How to Cite
Grant, M. J. (2007), The role of reflection in the library and information sector: a systematic review. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 24: 155–166. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-1842.2007.00731.x
- Issue online: 15 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 15 AUG 2007
- Received 25 May 2007; Accepted 2 July 2007
- 1The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action. New York: Basic Books, 1983.
- 2Boud, D., Keogh, R. & Walker, D., eds. Reflection: Turning Experience Into Learning. London: Kogan Page, 1985.
- 3Associates. Fostering Critical Reflection in Adulthood: A Guide to Transformative and Emancipatory Learning. California: Jossey-Bass Inc. Publishing, 1990: 1–20.&
- 4Brockbank, A., McGill, I. & Beech, N., eds. Reflective Learning in Practice. Aldershot: Gower Publishing, 2002.
- 5Reflection in Learning and Professional Development: Theory and Practice. London: Kogan Page, 1999.
- 6The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think in Action. Aldershot: Avebury, 1991.
- 7Oxford University Press. Oxford English Dictionary. 2004. Available from: http://dictionary.oed.com
- 8Nursing and Midwifery Council. Standards of Proficiency for Pre-registration Nursing Education. Standards 02.04. London: Nursing and Midwifery Council, 2004.
- 9Nursing and Midwifery Council. Standards of Proficiency for Pre-registration in Midwifery Education. London: Nursing and Midwifery Council, Standards 03.04, 2004.
- 10Nursing and Midwifery Council. Standards of Proficiency for Specialist Community Public Health Nurses. London: Nursing and Midwifery Council, Standards 04.04, 2004
- 11Nursing and Midwifery Council. Standards of Proficiency for Nurse and Midwife Prescribers. London: Nursing and Midwifery Council, 2006.
- 13Improving practice through research: current perspectives, future prospects.University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada 4–6 June 2003. Available from: http://www.eblib.net
- 14Evidence based librarianship: pooling our knowledge. King's Fund, London, 24 September 2003.
- 15Evaluating your performance. In: Booth, A. & Brice, A. (eds). Evidence-Based Practice for Information Professionals: a Handbook. London: Facet Publishing, 2004: 127–37.
- 16Australian Library and Information Association. (2005) Professional development for library and information professionals. Available from: http://alia.org.au/policies/professional.development.html
- 17The reflective professional. Reading at South East Branch, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxford District, 9 March 2005. 2005. Available from: http://www.cilip.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D8A759B4-0F73-4A78-87F4-2EE55714F1AE/0/bbod90305.ppt
- 18Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals. Reflective practice for information and library staff. Meeting, London, UK, 2 May 2007. Available from: http://www.cilip.org.uk/training/calendar
- 19Knowing the market: the reflections of a publisher. In: Baguley, F. C., Norris, C., Geare, M., Carroll, R., Smith, P., Heeks, P., Gannaway, N., Wood, K., Shurlock, B., Lusty, R., Hammick, C. & Radford, H. (eds). Selection at Work. A seminar held at Durlston Court Hotel, Bournemouth, 20–22 November 1977. South Western Branch, Library Association, 1978: 52–5.
- 20Reflections of a black librarian. Journal of Educational Media Science 1981, 18, 36–45.
- 21From being managed to managing: a personal odyssey. Library Management 2005, 26, 156–8.
- 22Some reflexions on the effects of automation on the management of large research libraries. LIBER Bulletin 1986, 26, 14–6.
- 23The Gloucestershire experience of good records management practice: a personal reflection 2000–2005. Information Management and Technology 2005, 38(3), 112–3, 121.
- 24Reflections on a management course. Library Management 1990, 11, 29–30.
- 25Mentoring: personal reflections of a special librarian. Information Outlook 2000, 7(4), 26–30.
- 26Creating the developmental teaching portfolio. College and Research Libraries News 1998, 59, 776–8.&
- 27Branching out: a model for experiential learning in professional practice. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science 2001, 33, 68–74.&
- 28Reflections on my ALA presidency. New Library World 2001, 102, 10–2.
- 29Reflections on a privilege: becoming part of the course through a collaboration on Blackboard. College and Research Library News 2004, 65(5), 261–263, 268.
- 30Reflections on the PNLA Leadership Institute. PNLA Quarterly 2005, 69, 14–5.
- 31Elizabeth McDonald, University of Memphis (TN). In: , , , , , , , & Jumping through the hoops: serials librarians’ reflections on tenure, reappointment, and promotion experiences in academia. Serials Review 2005, 31, 42–3.
- 32Becoming part of the course: using Blackboard to extend one-shot library instruction. College & Research Library News 2002, 63(1), 11–3, 39. Cited in: Reflections on a privilege: becoming part of the course through a collaboration on blackboard. College & Research Library News 2004 65(5), 261–3, 268.
- 33Evidence-Based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM. London: Churchill Livingstone, 1996., , &
- 36Evidence-based librarianship: a commentary for HYPOTHESIS. Hypothesis 1997, 11, 4–7. Available from: http://gain.mercer.edu/mla/research/hypo11-3.pdf
- 37Knowledge mentoring: a pedagogical model for promoting the use of computer-mediated communications. New Review of Information and Library Research 1995, 1, 1–22.
- 38Elicit, engage, experience, explore: discovery learning in library instruction. Reference Services Review 2000, 28, 313–22.&
- 39Using technology to facilitate assessment of library education. Teacher Librarian 2005, 32, 12–5.
- 40My mentoring diary: a resource for the library and information professions. Library Science Series.Friendswood, TX, USA: Total Recall Publications Inc., 2007.& .
- 41Building Your Portfolio: the CILIP Guide. London: Facet Publishing, 2007.
- 43Tom Roper's Weblog. Available from: http://tomroper.typepad.com/tr/
- 44T Scott. Available from: http://tscott.typepad.com/tsp/libraries/index.html
- 45Professionalism and Evidence-based Practice: reflections of a university librarian. Transforming the profession through evidence-based library and information practice. Evidence-Based Library and Information Practice, 4th International Conference, 6–11 May 2007. North Carolina, USA. 2007. Available from: http://www.eblip4.unc.edu/program.html