Developing research capacity in health librarians: a review of the evidence
Article first published online: 11 AUG 2008
© 2008 York St John University. Journal compilation © 2008 Health Libraries Group
Health Information & Libraries Journal
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 159–174, September 2008
How to Cite
Rossall, H., Boyes, C., Montacute, K. and Doherty, P. (2008), Developing research capacity in health librarians: a review of the evidence. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 25: 159–174. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-1842.2008.00788.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 11 AUG 2008
- 1National Institute for Health Research. Transforming Health Research: The First Two Years: National Institute for Health Research: Progress Report 2006–2008. London: National Institute for Health Research, 2008. Available from: http://www.nihr.ac.uk/files/pdfs/NIHR%20Progress%20Report%202006-2008.pdf (accessed 28 February 2008).
- 2Department of Health. World Class Commissioning: Adding Life to Years and Years to Life. London: Department of Health Commissioning. 2007. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=155367&Rendition=Web (accessed 11 March 2008).
- 3Department of Health. Best Research for Best Health: A New National Research Strategy. London: Department of Health, 2006. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/12/71/52/04127152.pdf (accessed 5 March 2008).
- 4UK Clinical Research Collaboration (UKCRC). Developing the Best Research Professionals: Qualified Graduate Nurses: Recommendations for Preparing and Supporting Clinical Academic Nurses of the Future: Report of the UKCRC Subcommittee for Nurses in Clinical Research (Workforce). London: UKCRC, 2007. Available from: http://www.ukcrc.org/PDF/Nurses_report_summary_August_2007_Web.pdf (accessed 24 January 2008).
- 5Darzi, Professor Lord. Our NHS our Future: NHS Next Stage Review: Interim Report: October 2007. London: Department of Health, 2007. Available from: http://www.ournhs.nhs.uk/fromtypepad/283411_OurNHS_v3acc.pdf (accessed 13 March 2008).
- 6Department of Health. Research Governance Framework for Health and Social Care: Second Edition 2005. London: Department of Health, 2005. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/12/24/27/04122427.pdf (accessed 2 December 2007).
- 7Department of Health. A First-Class Service: Quality in the New NHS. London: The Stationery Office, 1998.
- 8Department of Health. The New NHS: Modern, Dependable. London: The Stationery Office, 1997.
- 9Department of Health. Report of the High Level Group (HLG) on Clinical Effectiveness. London: Department of Health. 2007. Available from: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_079799 (accessed 13 March 2008).
- 10Evidence-Based Medicine: How to Practice and Teach EBM. Third edition. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2005., , , &
- 13Getting research findings into practice: using research findings in clinical practice. British Medical Journal 1998, 317, 399–42.&
- 14Achieving successful academic-practitioner research collaborations. Development in Practice 2002, 12, 338–45.
- 17The LIS Research Landscape: A Review and Prognosis. Birmingham: Centre for Information Research, 2003. Available from: http://www.ebase.bcu.ac.uk/cirtarchive/projects/past/LISlandscape_final%20report.pdf (accessed 29 February 2008).&
- 20Developing research capacity: identifying and quantifying nursing research activity in the NHS. Nursing Times Research 2002, 7, 212–21.&
- 21Building research capacity: the role of partnerships: rehabilitation summit: building research capacity: April 28–29 2005. Washington DC. American Journal of Physical Medicine Rehabilitation 2005, 84, 199–1004.&
- 22Modernising Medical Careers. Medically and Dentally Qualified Academic Staff: Recommendations for Training the Researchers and Educators of the Future: Report of the Academic Careers Sub-committee of Modernising Medical Careers and the UK Clinical Research Collaboration March 2005. London: Modernising Medical Careers, 2005. Available from: http://www.ukcrc.org/PDF/Medically_and_Dentally-qualified_Academic_Staff_Report.pdf (accessed 1 March 2008).
- 23A Review of UK Health Research Funding. London: The Stationery Office. Available from: http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/4/A/pbr06_cooksey_final_report_636.pdf (accessed 1 March 2008).
- 24National Institute for Health Research Faculty. Website. 2007. Available from: http://www.nihr.ac.uk/faculty.aspx (accessed 12 November 2007).
- 25NHS Connecting for Health. Research Capability Programme. Leeds: NHS Connecting for Health, 2007. Available from: http://www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/systemsandservices/research (accessed 28 February 2008).
- 27The need for collaboration in physiotherapy research. Physiotherapy Ireland 2000, 21, 10–11.&
- 29Enhancing health-care research: an interdisciplinary collaborative approach. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research 2005, 37, 35–46., , &
- 30The growth of collaborative and interdisciplinary research. In: Sullivan, J. (ed.). Creating Nursing's Future: Issues, Opportunities and Challenges. St Louis: Mosby, 1999.
- 31Clinical nurse specialist participation on a collaborative research project: barriers and benefits. Clinical Nurse Specialist 2003, 9, 4–16., , &
- 34NHS Networks. Website. 2007. Available from: http://www.networks.nhs.uk (accessed 13 November 2008).
- 35Care Services Improvement Partnership. Designing Networks for Collaborative Advantage: Practice-Based Evidence on How to Set up Networks to Improve Partnership Working and Achieve Positive Outcomes. London: Care Services Improvement Partnership, 2006. Available from: http://www.csip-plus.org.uk/RowanDocs/PartnershipworkingIssue1networkdesign.pdf (accessed 13 November 2008).
- 36UK Clinical Research Network (UKCRN). Website. 2007. Available from http://www.ukcrn.org.uk/index.html (accessed 14 November 2008).
- 37Comprehensive Clinical Research Network (CCRN). Website. 2007. Available from: http://www.ukcrn.org.uk/index/networks/comprehensive.html (accessed 14 November 2007).
- 38Commentary: a look at the bigger picture in building research capacity. Nursing Times Research 2003, 8, 427–8.
- 40Report of a National Review of NHS Library Services in England: from Knowledge to Health in the 21st Century. Newcastle: Institute of Health and Society, 2008. Available from http://www.library.nhs.uk/nlhdocs/national_library_review_final_report_4feb_08.doc (accessed 13th March 2008).
- 41And now, clinical librarians on ward rounds. Hartford Hospital Bulletin 1975, 30, 77–86., &
- 42The librarian in clinical care. Hospital Medical Staff 1977, 6, 18–23.&
- 46Clinical librarianship. In: Walton, G. & Booth, A. (eds). Exploiting Knowledge in Health Services. London: Facet Publishing, 2004, 130–46.
- 47Department of Health. The NHS Plan: A Plan for Investment a Plan for Reform. London: The Stationery Office, 2001.
- 48NHS Executive. HSG (97) 47: Library and Information Services. London: NHS Executive, 1997.
- 49NHS Executive. Information for Health: An Information Strategy for the Modern NHS 1998–2005. London: NHS Executive, 1998.
- 50NHS Executive. Supporting Better Health Stage III: Continuing Professional Development for Library Information Staff: Strategy and Training Programme. Durham: County Durham Health Authority, 2000.
- 51Department of Health. Building the Information Core: Implementing the NHS Plan. London: The Stationery Office, 2001.
- 52Evidence-based librarianship: a commentary for hypothesis. Hypothesis 1997, 11, 4–7.
- 55Evidence-based librarianship: levels of evidence. Hypothesis 2002, 16, 10–3.
- 67Priorities for occupational therapy research in the United Kingdom: executive summary of the POTTER project. British Journal of Occupational Therapy 2008, 7, 13–6., , , , &
- 68LIS researchers and practitioners: creating a research culture. Library and Information Research News 2002, 26, 10–16.
- 71HEFCE. Bibliometric Analysis of Interdisciplinary Research. Bristol: Higher Education Funding Council for England, 2007. Available from: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/rdreports/2007/rd19_07/ (accessed 13 March 2008).
- 75Clinical medical librarianship: the Vanderbilt experience. Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 1998, 86, 412–6.
- 77Cardiff University. Health Evidence Bulletins—Wales. 2007. Available from: http://hebw.cf.ac.uk/ (accessed 6 December 2007).
- 81The research–practice spiral. VINE 2003, 33, 51–64.&
- 82Librarians and collaborative research toward a better scientific base for information practice. Bulletin of the Medical Library Association 1996, 84, 433–6. Available from: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=226167&blobtype=pdf (accessed 13 March 2008).
- 83NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement. National Library for Health: Summary Work Plan 2007/2006. Coventry: NHS Institute for Innovation and Improvement, 2007.
- 84National Knowledge Service. National Library for Health Strategy 2005–2008. London: National Knowledge Service, 2005.