An initial version of this article was given as the Division 44 Presidential Address at the Convention of the American Psychological Association, August 1988. For her invaluable help in making that first version come to life, I would like to thank my partner, Miriam Vogel, who got me through the first stage of my illness with love and courage, put up with my obsessing about writing this article for many months, then read the first draft and pointed out that which was still missing from my discussions. I'm also indebted to all of the presenters at the 1988 Advanced Feminist Therapy Institute, whose papers gave form and substance to my ideas. This version of the article owes a debt of gratitude to Jeanne Marecek, who invited its presence, and to two anonymous reviewers who made extremely helpful comments that allowed me to tie my own thinking into the feminist theoretical mainstream.
NEW VOICES, NEW VISIONS
Toward A Lesbian/Gay Paradigm for Psychology
Article first published online: 28 JUL 2006
Psychology of Women Quarterly
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 445–458, December 1989
How to Cite
Brown, L. S. (1989), NEW VOICES, NEW VISIONS. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 13: 445–458. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-6402.1989.tb01013.x
The use of full names in this article reflects a stylistic tradition of the Feminist Therapy Institute, which is to make the gender of a source visible to my readers. It is essential, in knowing how I came to my way of thinking, to know the perspectives of those who have influenced me.
The use of first-person pronouns to refer to lesbians and gay men is also a reflection of the feminist model of referring to one's own membership in a group about which one is writing.
- Issue published online: 28 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 28 JUL 2006
- First draft received: June 7, 1989 Final draft received: August 8, 1989
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!