Conflict of interest statement: No conflicts declared
Impact of Three Years Training on Operations Capacities of Research Ethics Committees in Nigeria
Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Developing World Bioethics
Volume 14, Issue 1, pages 1–14, April 2014
How to Cite
Folayan, M. O., Adaranijo, A., Durueke, F., Ajuwon, A., Adejumo, A., Ezechi, O., Oyedeji, K. and Akanni, O. (2014), Impact of Three Years Training on Operations Capacities of Research Ethics Committees in Nigeria. Developing World Bioethics, 14: 1–14. doi: 10.1111/j.1471-8847.2012.00340.x
- Issue published online: 13 MAR 2014
- Article first published online: 24 SEP 2012
- Sidaction. Grant Numbers: NG-04-08-01, NG-04-09-01
- “European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership” (EDCTP). Grant Number: CB.2008.41302.013
- AVAC Global Advocacy
- 1World Medical Association General Assembly. World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: Ethical Principles for Medical Research Involving Human Subjects. Helsinki, World Medical Association, 2008; National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research. The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research. Washington, DC, Department of Health, Education and Welfare, 1979; International Ethical Guidelines for Biomedical Research Involving Human Subjects. Geneva, Council for International Organizations of Medical Sciences, 2002; The Ethics of Research Related to Healthcare in Developing Countries. London, Nuffield Council on Bioethics, 2002; and the Ethics of Healthcare Related Research in Developing Countries: A Follow-up Discussion Paper. London, Nuffield Council on Bioethics, 2005; Ethical and Policy Issues in International Research: Clinical Trials in Developing Countries. Vol. I. Report and Recommendations of the National Bioethics Advisory Commission. Washington, DC, United States National Bioethics Advisory Commission, 2001.
- 2Continuing education in research ethics for the clinical nurse. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing 2002; 33: 265–269; United States of America Code of Federal Regulations. 2002; , , A teachable moment: research ethic revisited. American Journal of Obstetric and Gynecology 2003; 188: 2. doi: 10.1067/mob.2003.122;A curriculum for teaching psychiatric research bioethics. Biological Psychiatry 2001; 50: 802–808. doi: 10.1016/S0006-3223(01)01236-7;Teaching scientific integrity and research ethics. Forensic Science International 2000; 113: 511–154. doi: 10.1016/S0379-0738(00)00267-X..
- 3Equipping Africa's researchers for global collaboration. 2003. Available at; http://www.scidev.net/en/opinions/equipping-africas-researchers-for-global-collabor.html [Accessed 18 July 2012]..
- 4Research Triangle Institute Road map for success in international research: strategies for protecting human research subjects globally. Report of workshop. 2005.
- 6UNAIDS. UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic. 2010. Geneva: UN Joint Programme on HIV/AIDS.
- 7Socio-Economic And Socio-Cultural Predisposing Risk Factors To HIV/AIDS: Case Study Of Some Locations In Eastern Nigeria. The Internet Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2010 Volume 6 Number 2; United Nations General Assembly Special Session. (2010). UNGASS Country Progress Report: Nigeria . 2010. Available at: http://data.unaids.org/pub/Report/2010/nigeria_2010_country_progress_report_en.pdf [Accessed 18 July 2012]..
- 9Research Rashomon, Lessons From the Cameroon pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Trial Site. Global Campaign for Microbicides, 2009. Available at: http://www.global-campaign.org/clientfiles/Cameroon.pdf [Accessed 18 July 2012]; & . Preventing Prevention Trial Failures, A Case Study and Lessons for Future Trials From the 2004 Tenofovir Trial in Cambodia. Global Campaign for Microbicides, 2009. Available at: http://www.global-campaign.org/clientfiles/Cambodia.pdf [Accessed 18 July 2012]., & .
- 11Oral Tenofovir Controversy II: Voices From the Field, a Series of Reports of the Oral Tenofovir Trials From the Perspectives of Active Community Voices Engaged on the Field in Cambodia, Cameroon, Nigeria, Thailand and Malawi. New HIV Vaccine and Microbicide Advocacy Society (NHVMAS), 2009. Available at: http://www.nhvmas-ng.org/publication/TDF2.pdf [Accessed 18 July 2012].& .
- 12National Bioethics Advisory Commission, 2001, USA; Council for International Organization for Medical Sciences International Ethics Guidelines for Biomedical Research Involving Human Subjects. Geneva, Switzerland; 2002.
- 13UNAIDS/AVAC. Good Participatory Practice Guidelines for Biomedical HIV Prevention Trials, 2nd edn . 2011 Geneva: UNAIDS.
- 14Ibid: note 2., op. cit.
- 16Outcome of a research ethics training workshop among clinicians and scientists in a Nigerian university. BMC Med Ethics 2008: 24;9: 1. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2246144/?tool=pubmed [Accessed 18 July 2012].& .
- 17Federal Ministry of Health. The National Code for Health Research Ethics. Version 6.0. Available at: www.nhrec.net [Accessed 18 July 2012].
- 18“untrained” here refers to REC members who did not participate in a NHVMAS training.
- 19Institutional review Boards: their role in reviewing approved research. June 2008. Available at: http://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-01-97-00190.pdf [Accessed 18 July 2012]; Ibid: and , op. cit. note 13..
- 20Ibid: 1.
- 21Human capital is key to research ethics. 2002. Available at; http://www.scidev.net/en/opinions/human-capital-is-key-to-research-ethics.html [Accessed 18 July 2012].& .
- 22Teaching medical students on the ethical dimensions of human rights: meeting the challenge in South Africa. Journal of Medical Ethics 1998; 24: 257;Ethics of research training for NIH T32 surgical investigators. Journal of Surgical Research 1995: 247–251. doi: 10.1006/jsre.1995.1038;Effects of training in responsible conduct of research: a survey of graduate students in experimental sciences. Science and Engineering Ethics 1998; 4: 487–498. doi: 10.1007/s11948-998-0041-y.& .