Evaluating extreme risks in invasion ecology: learning from banking compliance
Article first published online: 31 MAR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Diversity and Distributions
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 581–591, July 2008
How to Cite
Franklin, J., Sisson, S. A., Burgman, M. A. and Martin, J. K. (2008), Evaluating extreme risks in invasion ecology: learning from banking compliance. Diversity and Distributions, 14: 581–591. doi: 10.1111/j.1472-4642.2008.00478.x
- Issue published online: 31 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 31 MAR 2008
- Australia and New Zealand Environment and Conservation Council & Agriculture and Resource Management Council of Australia and New Zealand (ANZECC/ARMCANZ). (2000) Australian and New Zealand water quality guidelines. ANZECC/ARMCANZ, Canberra, ACT.
- Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS). (1998) Final import risk analysis of the New Zealand request for the access of apples into Australia. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, ACT. Available at http://www.affa.gov.au/corporate_docs/publications/pdf/market_access/biosecurity/plant/ACF133.pdf.
- Bank for International Settlements, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (2002) Sound practices for the management and supervision of operational risk, December 2001, revised July 2002.
- Bank for International Settlements, Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (2004) Basel II: international convergence of capital measurement and capital standards: a revised framework, June 2004, Available at http://www.bis.org/publ/bcbs107.htm.
- 2004) Environmental statistics: methods and applications. Wiley, Chichester, UK. (
- 2004) Statistics of extremes: theory and applications. Wiley, Hoboken NJ. , & (
- 2006) Info-gap decision theory decisions under severe uncertainty, 2nd edn. Oxford. (
- Biosecurity Australia (2006) Final import risk analysis report for apples from New Zealand, Part B. Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Government of Australia, Canberra, ACT.
- 2002) Statistical fraud detection: a review. Statistical Science, 17, 235–255. & (
- 2003) Bayesian analysis of extreme values by mixture modelling. Extremes, 6, 25–47. , , & (
- 2005) Risks and decisions for conservation and environmental management. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. (
- 2001) An introduction to statistical modelling of extreme values. Springer, London. (
- 2003) Anticipating catastrophes through extreme value modelling. Applied Statistics, 52, 405–416. & (
- 1996) Bayesian methods in extreme value modelling: a review and new developments. International Statistical Review, 64, 119–136. & (
- 2001) Is it a crime to belong to a reference class? Journal of Political Philosophy, 9, 168–181. , & (
- Embrechts, P., ed. (2000) Extremes and integrated risk management. Risk Waters Group, London.
- 1997) Modelling extremal events for insurance and finance. Springer, New York. , & (
- 2004) Dependence in probabilistic modeling, Dempster–Shafer theory, and probability bounds analysis. SANDIA report 2004-3072. Sandia National Laboratories, New Mexico. , , , , , , & (
- 1998) The role of context in the communication of uncertain beliefs. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 20, 57–70. & (
- 2001) The science of conjecture: evidence and probability before Pascal. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD. (
- 2005) Risk-driven global compliance regimes in banking and accounting: the new Law Merchant. Law, Probability and Risk, 4, 237–250. (
- 2006) Case comment: quantification of the ‘proof beyond reasonable doubt’ standard. Law, Probability and Risk, 5, 159–165. (
- 2007) International compliance regimes: a public sector without restraints. Australian Journal of Professional and Applied Ethics, 9, 86–95. (
- 2002) Reckoning with risk: learning to live with uncertainty. Penguin, London. (
- 1983) Does having to justify one's judgments change the nature of the judgment process? Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 31, 223–232. & (
- 2007) The reference class problem is your problem too. Synthese, 156, 563–585. (
- 2004) Pattern discovery and detection: a unified statistical methodology. Journal of Applied Statistics, 31, 885–924. & (
- 2004) Decisions from experience and the effect of rare events in risky choice. Psychological Science, 15, 534–539. Direct Link:, , & (
- 2004) A survey of outlier detection methodologies. Artificial Intelligence Review, 22, 85–126. & (
- 2007) Changes in global economies and trade: the potential spread of exotic freshwater bivalves. Biological Invasions, 9, 161–180. , , , & (
- 2006) Predicting pathogen introduction: West Nile Virus spread to Galápagos. Conservation Biology, 20, 1224–1231. , , , , , & (
- 2001) Operational risk: measurement and modelling. Wiley, New York. (
- 2002) Hack I.T.: security through penetration testing. Addison-Wesley, Boston, MA. , & (
- 2005) Underarm bowling and Australia-New Zealand trade. Australian Review of Public Affairs 18 July 2005. Available at http://www.australianreview.net/digest/2005/07/knight.html. (
- 2000) Extreme value distributions: theory and applications. Imperial College Press, London. & (
- 1992) Exploring judgemental forecasting. International Journal of Forecasting, 8, 15–26. & (
- 1999) Effects of choice accountability, issue involvement, and prior knowledge on information acquisition and use. Journal of Business Research, 45, 75–88. , , & (
- 1999) Accounting for the effects of accountability. Psychological Bulletin, 125, 255–275. & (
- 2007) Assessing invasive alien species across multiple spatial scales: working globally and locally. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 5, 217–224. , & (
- 2002) Fundamentals of risk management. McGraw-Hill, Boston, MA. (
- 2006) Den-use and home range characteristics of bobucks (Trichosurus cunninghami) resident in a forest patch. Australian Journal of Zoology, 54, 225–234. (
- 2007) Comparison of bobuck (Trichosurus cunninghami) demography in two habitat types in the Strathbogie Ranges, Australia. Journal of Zoology, 271, 375–385. & (
- 2007) Invasive alien species in an era of globalization. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 5, 199–208. & (
- 2004) The art of software testing, 2nd edn. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ. (
- 2007) A simulation model of plant invasion: long-distance dispersal determines the pattern of spread. Biological Invasions, 9, 383–395. , , , , & (
- 2006) Uncertain judgements – eliciting experts’ probabilities. Wiley, London. , , , , , , & (
- 1998) Patterns of preference for numerical and verbal probabilities. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 10, 117–131. & (
- 2003) Quantifying errors without random sampling. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 3, 9. & (
- 2005) Robust decision-making under severe uncertainty for conservation management. Ecological Applications, 15, 1471–1477. , , , , , & (
- Risk Management Magazine (2005) Inside NAB's mightmare. 21 September 2005. Available at http://www.riskmanagementmagazine.com.au/articles/25/0c036625.asp.
- 1998) The potential for spread of Erwinia amylovora and fire blight via commercial apple fruit; a critical review and risk assessment. Crop Protection, 17, 19–28. , , , & (
- 2004) The New Basel Capital Accord: Part I: Environmental risks for banks. Environmental Claims Journal, 16, 93–101. & (
- Senate (2005) Australian Parliament, Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee. Administration of Biosecurity Australia: Revised draft import risk analysis for apples from New Zealand, March 2005. Available at http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/rrat_ctte/apples04/report/report.pdf.
- Senate Hansard (1997) Australian Parliament, Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee. 11 June 1997. Available at http://www.aph.gov.au/hansard/senate/commttee/s1423799.pdf.
- 1996) Effects of procedural and outcome accountability on judgment quality. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 65, 1–17. & (
- 2005) The politics of assessing risk for biological invasions: the USA as a case study. Trends in Ecology and Evolution, 20, 216–222. (
- 1992) De-escalation strategies: a comparison of techniques for reducing commitment to losing courses of action. Journal of Applied Psychology, 77, 419–426. & (
- 2006) A case for a reassessment of the risks of extreme hydrological hazards in the Caribbean. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 20, 296–306. , & (
- 1989) Extreme value analysis of environmental time series: an example based on ozone data (with discussion). Statistical Science, 4, 367–393. (
- 2007) Application of risk assessment and decision analysis to aquatic nuisance species. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management, 3, 79–89. , , , & (
- 1983) Accountability and complexity of thought. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 45, 74–83. (
- 2005) Expert political judgment: How good is it? How can we know? Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. (
- 2005) If wishes were horses: discursive comments on attempts to prevent individuals being unfairly burdened by their reference classes. Law, Probability and Risk, 5, 33–49. (
- 1991) Statistical reasoning with imprecise probabilities. Chapman & Hall, London. (
- 1993) Comparing the calibration and coherence of numerical and verbal probability judgments. Management Science, 39, 176–190. , & (
- 2003) Eyewitness testimony. Annual Review of Psychology, 54, 277–295. & (
- World Trade Organization (WTO) (1998) Measures affecting importation of salmon. Report of the Appellate Body AB-1998-5, Australia.
Editor: Prof David Richardson