Bacteriological quality of organically grown leaf lettuce in Norway
Article first published online: 9 JUN 2005
Letters in Applied Microbiology
Volume 41, Issue 2, pages 186–189, August 2005
How to Cite
Loncarevic, S., Johannessen, G.S. and Rørvik, L.M. (2005), Bacteriological quality of organically grown leaf lettuce in Norway. Letters in Applied Microbiology, 41: 186–189. doi: 10.1111/j.1472-765X.2005.01730.x
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2005
- Article first published online: 9 JUN 2005
- 2004/0926: received 12 August 2004, revised and accepted 22 February 2005
- 1998) An outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections associated with leaf lettuce consumption. J Infect Dis 177, 1588–1593. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Ecological factors influencing survival and growth of human pathogens on raw fruits and vegetables. Microbes Infect 4, 413–423. (
- 1999) Microbiological safety evaluations and recommendations on fresh produce. Food Control 9, 321–347. (
- Debio (2003) Statistics for 2003. http://www.debio.no .
- 1999) A multistate outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections associated with consumption of mesclun lettuce. Arch Intern Med 159, 1758–1764. , , , , , , , et al. (
- 2004) Trends and Sources of Zoonotic Agents in Animals, Feedingstuffs, Food and Man in Norway, 2003. Oslo, Norway: Norwegian Zoonosis Centre. , and (
- 2002) Bacteriological analysis of fresh produce in Norway. Int J Food Microbiol 77, 199–204. , and (
- 2004) Influence of bovine manure as fertilizer on the bacteriological quality of organic Iceberg lettuce. J Appl Microbiol 96, 787–794. , , , , and (
- 2005) Potential uptake of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from organic manure into crisphead lettuce. Appl Environ Microbiol 71, 2221–2225. , , , , and (
- 1999) Microbiological quality of retail imported unprepared whole lettuces: a PHLS food working group study. J Food Prot 62, 325–328. , , and (
- 2001) The occurrence of enteric pathogens and Aeromonas species in organic vegetables. Int J Food Microbiol 70, 155–162. and (
- 2004) Preharvest evaluation of coliforms, Escherichia coli, Salmonella, and Escherichia coli O157:H7 in organic and conventional produce grown by Minnesota farmers. J Food Prot 67, 894–900. , , and (
- NMKL (1996) Thermotolerant Coliform Bacteria. Enumeration in Foods. Method 125, 3rd edn. Oslo, Norway: Nordic Committee on Food Analysis.
- NMKL (1999) Listeria monocytogenes. Detection in Foods. Method 136, 2nd edn. Oslo, Norway: Nordic Committee on Food Analysis.
- Organic-Europe (2004) Reports on Organic Farming in 25 European Countries. http://www.organic-europe.net .
- PHLS – Public Health Laboratory Service (2000) Guidelines for the microbiological quality of some ready-to-eat food sampled at the point of sale. Commun Dis Public Health 3, 163–167.
- 2001) The microbiological examination of ready-to-eat organic vegetables from retail establishments in the United Kingdom. Lett Appl Microbiol 33, 434–439. , and (
- 2003) Microbiological study of ready-to-eat salad vegetables from retail establishments uncovers a national outbreak of salmonellosis. J Food Prot 66, 403–409. , , , and (
- 2002) Transmission of Escherichia coli O157:H7 from contaminated manure and irrigation water to lettuce plant tissue and its subsequent internalization. Appl Environ Microbiol 68, 397–400. , and (
- The Norwegian Food Safety Authority (2002) Microbiological Guidelines. http://www.mattilsynet.no .
- 2000) Listeria monocytogenes in faeces from clinically healthy dairy cows in Sweden. Acta Vet Scand 41, 167–171. , , , and (
- 1998) Occurrence of shigatoxinogenic Escherichia coli O157 isolated in Norwegian cattle herds. Epidemiol Infect 120, 21–28. , , , and (
- 2001) Occurrence and characterisation of Escherichia coli O157 isolated from cattle in Norway. Vet Res Commun 25, 13–26. , , and (
- 2004) The World of Organic Agriculture. Statistics and Emerging Trends, 6th revised edn. Bonn, Germany: IFOAM-International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements. and (