Foraging energetics of Grey-headed Albatrosses Diotnedea chrysostoma at Bird Island, South Georgia
Article first published online: 3 APR 2008
Volume 129, Issue Supplement S1, pages 149–158, January 1987
How to Cite
COSTA, D. P. and PRINCE, P. A. (1987), Foraging energetics of Grey-headed Albatrosses Diotnedea chrysostoma at Bird Island, South Georgia. Ibis, 129: 149–158. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.1987.tb03196.x
- Issue published online: 3 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2008
- Accepted 20 March 1986
- 1985. The energetics of 'flying' and 'paddling' in water: locomotion in penguins and ducks. J. Comp. Physiol. B. 155: 373–380. &
- 1974. Energy costs of gliding flight in herring gulls. Nature 248: 83–84. &
- 1970. Respiration, oxygen consumption and heart rate in some birds during rest and flight. Z. vergl. Physiol. 66: 201–214. , &
- 1983. Time and energy limits to brood size in House Martins Delichon urbica. J. Anim. Ecol. 42: 905–925. &
- 1980. The biochemical comaposition of krill Euphausia superba from South Georgia. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 43: 221–236.
- 1980. Chemical comaposition and calorific value of food fed to mollymauk chicks Diomedea melanophris and D. chrysostoma at Bird Island, South Georgia. Ibis 122: 488–494. &
- 1984. Assessment of the impact of the California Sea Lion and Elephant Seal on commercial fisheries. R/F-92. In California Sea Grant College Program Biennial Report, 1982-84 Institute of Marine Resources, University of California, San Diego , CA .
- 1986. Free-ranging and reproductive energetics of the Northern Fur Seal. In Gentry, R.L. & Kooyman, G.L. (eds), Fur Seals: Maternal Strategies on Land and at Sea: 79–101. Princeton : Princeton University Press. &
- 1985. Reproductive bioenergetics of the Antarctic Fur Seal Arctocephalus gazella. Antarct. J. U.S. (in press). , , &
- 1986. Energy requirements of free ranging Little Penguin, Eudyptula minor. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. (in press). , ,
- 1979. Effect of starvation and experimental feeding on the proximate comaposition and caloric content of Antarctic teleost, Notothenia coriiceps neglecta. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 62A: 321–326.
- 1982. Energy costs of incubation and moult in petrels and penguins. J. Anim. Ecol. 51: 177–194.
- 1986. The food and feeding ecology of penguins. In Croxall, J. P. (ed.), Seabirds: Feeding Ecology and Role in Marine Ecosystems. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press (in press). &
- 1982. Calorific content of squid (Mollusca: Cephalopoda). Bull. Br. Antarct. Surv. 55: 27–31. &
- 1984. The impact of seabirds on marine resources, especially krill, at South Georgia. Pp. 285–318. In Whittow, G.C. & Rahn, H. (eds), Seabird Energetics. New York : Plenum Press. , &
- 1983. Water flux and estimated metabolism of free-ranging gentoo and macaroni penguins at South Georgia. Polar Biol. 2: 41–46. , &
- 1984. Energetics of free-ranging seabirds: 203–234. In Whittow, G.C. & Rahn, H. (eds), Seabird Energetics. New York : Plenum Press.
- 1984. Flight energetics of free-living Sooty Terns. Auk 101: 288–294. &
- 1979. Reproductive energetics of a free-living bird. J. Anim. Ecol. 48: 411–482. &
- 1984. Techniques for the serial collection of blood samples and inspection of gonads in free-living albatrosses. Bull. Br. Antarct. Surv. 71: 127–133.
- 1983. Swimming in penguins. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis. University of California, Los Angeles.
- 1982. Diving depths and energy requirements of King Penguins. Science 217: 726–727. , , &
- 1966. Theory of use of the turnover rates of body water for measuring energy and material balance. Theor. Biol. 12: 46–74. &
- 1949. The fate of utilized molecular oxygen and the sources of the oxygen of respiratory carbon dioxide, studied with the aid of heavy oxygen. J. Biol. Chem. 108: 803–811. , , &
- 1970. Respiratory metabolism and body water turnover rates of Perognathus formosus in its natural environment. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 32: 259–265.
- 1975. Water and energy budgets of free-living animals: measurement using isotopically labeled water: 207–226. In Hadley, N. (ed.), Environmental Physiology of Desert Organisms. Stroudsburg , Pa. : Dowden, Hutchinson & Ross.
- 1980. CO2 production in animals: analysis of potential errors of the doubly labelled water method. Am. J. Physiol. 238: R466–473.
- 1980. Water flux in animals: analysis of potential errors in the tritiated water method. Am. J. Physiol. 238: R454–465. &
- 1984. Energy utilization by free-ranging Jackass Penguins Spheniscus demersus. Ecology 65: 1648–1655. , &
- 1975. Mechanics of flight: 1–75. In Farner, D.S. & King, J.R. (eds), Avian Biology, Vol. 5. New York : Academic Press.
- 1982. The flight of petrels and albatrosses (Procellariiformes), observed in South Georgia and its vicinity. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B300: 75–106.
- Flight of seabirds. In Croxall, J.P. (ed.), Seabirds: Feeding Ecology and Role in Marine Ecosystems. Cambridge : Cambridge Univ. Press. (in press). .
- 1984. Scaling of foraging radius and growth rate in petrels and albatrosses. Ornis Scand. 15: 145–154. , &
- 1980. The food and feeding ecology of Grey-headed Albatross Diomedea chrysostoma and Black-browed Albatross, D. melanophris. Ibis. 122: 476–488.
- 1985. Population and energetic aspects of the relationships between Black-browed and Grey-headed Albatrosses and the Southern Ocean marine environment: 473–477. In Siegfried, W.R., Condy, P.R. & Laws, R.M. (eds), Antarctic Nutrient Cycles and Food Webs. Berlin : Springer-Verlag.
- 1984. Activity budgets of foraging Grey-headed Albatrosses. Condor 86: 297–300. &
- 1986. Diet and feeding ecology of Procellariiformes. In Croxall, J.P. (ed.), Seabirds: Feeding Ecology and Role in Marine Ecosystems. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. &
- 1984. Automated measurement of feed size and feeding frequency in albatrosses. J. Appl. Ecol. 21: 789–794. &
- 1981. Weight loss in incubating albatrosses and its implications for their energy and food requirements. Condor 83: 238–242. , &
- 1981. Comparison of growth of albatrosses. Ornis Scand. 12: 120–124. &
- 1982. Animal Physiology. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press.
- 1982. Measurement of energy expenditure in humans by double-labelled water method. J. Appl. Physiol. 53: 955–959. &
- 1976. Energy utilization and temperature regulation of jack rabbits (Lepus californicus) in the Mojave Desert. Physiol. Zool. 49: 364–375. , &
- 1982. Temperature regulation in the Little Penguin Eudyptula minor in air and water. J. Comp. Physiol. 148: 93–100. &
- 1972. Metabolism during flight in the Laughing Gull Larus atricilla. Am. J. Physiol. 222: 237–245.
- 1973. Daily energy expenditure of Purple Martins Progne subis during the breeding season: estimates using D2180 and time budget methods. Ecology 54: 597–603. &
- 1984. Modelling the requirements of seabird populations: 255–284. In Whittow, G.C. & Rahn, H. (eds.), Seabird Energetics. New York : Plenum Press.