Flying in the face of climate change: a review of climate change, past, present and future
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s1, pages 4–10, September 2004
How to Cite
Watkinson, A. R., Gill, J. A. and Hulme, M. (2004), Flying in the face of climate change: a review of climate change, past, present and future. Ibis, 146: 4–10. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00321.x
- Issue published online: 23 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2004
- Received 14 May 2002; revision accepted 9 September 2003.
- 1993. Climate instability during the last interglacial period recorded in the GRIP ice core. Nature 364: 203–207. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Managed realignment in the UK – the first five years of colonization by birds. Ibis 146 (Suppl.1): S101–S110. , , , , , &
- 2001. The effects of flooding lowland wet grassland on soil macroinvertebrate prey of breeding wading birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 320–338. , &
- 2003. The likely impact of sea level rise on waders (Charadrii) wintering on estuaries. J. Nat. Conserv. 11: 43–58. &
- 1980. The effect of the hard weather of 1978/79 on the wader populations of the Ythan estuary. Wader Study Group Bull. 28: 16–17.
- 1997. Evolution and Ecology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1992. Expected changes in the benthic fauna of Wadden Sea tidal flats as a result of sea-level rise or bottom subsidence. J. Sea Res. 47: 25–39.
- 2001. Synchronised reproductive success of the main bivalve species in the Wadden Sea: causes and consequences. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Series 211: 143–155. , , &
- 1997. Reconstructing late-glacial and Holocene climates. In Hulme, M. & Barrow, E. (eds) Climates of the British Isles: 84–111. London: Routledge. &
- 2001. Low-frequency temperature variations from a northern tree ring density network. J. Geophys. Res. – Atmos. 106: 2929–2941. , , , , , &
- 1996. Habitat associations of coastal wintering passerines. Bird Study 43: 188–200. &
- 1993. Estuary Wader Capacity Following Severe Weather Mortality. BTO Research Report 103. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology. , , &
- 1981. Survival of shorebirds (Charadrii) during severe weather: the role of nutritional reserves. In Jones, N.V. & Wolff, W.J. (eds) Feeding and Survival Strategies of Estuarine Organisms: 231–249. London: Plenum Press.
- 1982. Mortality of Redshanks and Oystercatchers from starvation during severe weather. Bird Study 29: 183–188. &
- 1981. Winter fat reserves in shorebirds; disturbance of regulated levels by severe weather conditions. Ibis 123: 359–363. , , &
- 2002. Climate Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCIP02 Scientific Report: 120. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research. Norwich: University of East Anglia. , , , , , , , , , , &
- IPCC. 2000. Special Report on Emissions Scenarios (SRES): a Special Report of Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- IPCC. 2001a. Climate Change 2001: the Scientific Basis. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- IPCC. 2001b. Climate Change 2001: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2001. The evolution of climate over the last millennium. Science 292: 662–667. , &
- 1999. Predicting the consequences of human disturbance, predation and sea level rise for Ringed Plover populations. PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
- 1979. Weights and fat in Lapwings Vanellus vanellus and Oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus starved to death during a cold spell in spring. Ornis Scand. 10: 235–240. &
- 2002. Management of coastal grazing marshes for breeding waders: the importance of surface topography and wetness. Biol. Conserv. 103: 199–207. , , &
- NAST. 2000. Climate Change Impacts on the United States: the Potential Consequences of Climate Variability and Change. Washington, DC: US Global Change Research Programme.
- 2002. Integrated impacts on coastal areas and river flooding. In Holman, I.P. & Loveland, P.J. (eds) REGIS: Regional Climate Change Impact Response Studies in East Anglia and North West England: 54–101. London: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. &
- 2004. Climate change and coastal waterbird populations – past declines and future impacts. Climate Change and Coastal Birds. Ibis 146 (Suppl.1): S82–S89. , &
- 2002. Evidence for trends in heavy rainfall events over the UK. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A 360: 1313–1325. &
- 2000. Observed trends in the daily intensity of United Kingdom precipitation. Int. J. Climatol. 20: 347–364. , , &
- 1992. A new daily Central England Temperature series, 1772–1991. Int. J. Climatol. 12: 317–342. , &
- 1991. Plant Community History. London: Chapman & Hall.
- 2002. Risk estimation of collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. Climatic Change 52: 65–91. &
- 1995. Habitat switching by Dark-bellied Brent Geese Branta bernicla bernicla (L.) in relation to food depletion. Oecologia 103: 499–508. , , , &
- 2002. Climate change and dispersal. In Bullock, J.M. (ed.) Dispersal: 410–428. Oxford: Blackwell Science. &
- 1999. A review of the trends observed in British Isles mean sea-level data measured by tide gauges. Geophys. J. Int. 136: 651–670. , , &
- 2001. Trends, rhythms and aberrations in global climate 65 Ma to present. Science 292: 686–693. , , , &