Climate change and loss of saltmarshes: consequences for birds
Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s1, pages 21–28, September 2004
How to Cite
Hughes, R. G. (2004), Climate change and loss of saltmarshes: consequences for birds. Ibis, 146: 21–28. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00324.x
- Issue online: 23 SEP 2004
- Version of Record online: 23 SEP 2004
- Received 2 May 2002; revision accepted 8 March 2004.
- 2000. Spatial variation in process and pattern in salt marsh plant communities in eastern North America. In Weinstein, M.P. & Kreeger, D.A. (eds) Concepts and Controversies in Tidal Marsh Ecology: 39–57. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. &
- 1996. Habitat associations of coastal wintering passerines. Bird Study 43: 188–190. &
- 1992. Erosion and Vegetation Change on the Saltmarshes of Essex and North Kent Between 1973 and 1988. Research and Survey in Nature Conservation 42. Peterborough: Nature Conservancy Council.
- 2000. Vertical accretion versus elevational adjustment in UK saltmarshes: an evaluation of alternative methodologies. In Pye, K. & Allen, J.R.L. (eds) Coastal and Estuarine Environments. Geol. Soc. Lond. Spec. Publ. 175: 223–238. , , , &
- 1978. The winter grazing of saltmarsh vegetation by Dark-bellied Brent Geese. Wildfowl 29: 153–162. &
- 1993. An ecological ‘cascade’ effect. Migratory birds affect stability of intertidal sediments. Limnol. Oceanogr. 38: 225–231. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1984. Spartina and waders – the Dyfi estuary. In Doody, P. (ed.) Spartina anglica in Great Britain: 37–40. Peterborough: Nature Conservancy Council. &
- 2000. Development and structure of salt marshes; community patterns in time and space. In Weinstein, M.P. & Kreeger, D.A. (eds) Concepts and Controversies in Tidal Marsh Ecology: 137–155. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- 1998. Habitat creation opportunities for landward coastal realignment: Essex case studies. J. Chart. Inst. Water. Environ. Manage. 12: 107–112. , &
- 1992. Bird Life of Coasts and Estuaries. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1999. The restoration of mud flats invaded by common cord-grass (Spartina anglica, C.E. Hubbard) using mechanical disturbance and its effects on the macrobenthic fauna. Aquat. Conserv. Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst. 9: 47–61. , &
- 1989. Holocene sedimentation on the North Norfolk barrier coast in relation to sea-level change. J. Quat. Sci. 4: 25–36. &
- 2000. Botanical and Accretional Studies at Tollesbury, Essex and Saltram Devon. Managed Realignment at Tollesbury and Saltram. Annual Report for 1999. Report C 00356. Monk's Wood: Centre for Ecology and Hydrology. , , , &
- 1988. Rates of change in the numbers of dunlin (Calidris alpina), wintering in British estuaries in relation to the spread of Spartina anglica. J. Appl. Ecol. 25: 95–109. &
- 1998. Saltmarsh erosion and management of saltmarsh restoration; the effects of infaunal invertebrates. Aquat. Conserv. Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst. 9: 83–95.
- 2001. Biological and physical processes that affect saltmarsh erosion and saltmarsh restoration; development of hypotheses. Ecol. Stud. 151: 173–192.
- 2000. The effects of the polychaete Nereis diversicolor on the distribution and transplanting success of Zostera noltii. Helgol. Mar. Res. 54: 129–136. , , &
- 2004. On the loss of saltmarshes in South-east England and methods for their restoration. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 440–448. &
- 1996. Nocturnal feeding by Dark-bellied Brent Geese Branta Bernicla Bernicla. Ibis 138: 291–297. &
- 1983. Saltmarsh Ecology. Glasgow: Blackie. &
- 2004. The effects of bioturbation and herbivory by the polychaete Nereis diversicolor on loss of saltmarsh in South-east England. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 449–463. &
- 1998. The role of migratory waterfowl as nutrient vectors in a managed wetland. Conserv. Biol. 12: 910–920. , , , , &
- 2000. Saltmarsh erosion in south east England. Mechanisms, causes and implications. In Sherwood, B.R., Gardiner, B.G. & Harris, T. (eds) British Saltmarshes: 359–396. London: Linnean Society of London.
- 1999. Nutrient enrichment and trophic organisation in an estuarine food web. Acta Oecol. 20: 449–461.
- 1995. Cyclic winter grazing patterns in Brent Geese and the regrowth of salt-marsh grass. Funct. Ecol. 9: 931–941. , , &
- 2000. Community structure and functional dynamics of benthic microalgae in salt marshes. In Weinstein, M.P. & Kreeger, D.A. (eds) Concepts and Controversies in Tidal Marsh Ecology: 81–106. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. &
- 2000. Salt marsh values; retrospection from the end of the century. In Weinstein, M.P. & Kreeger, D.A. (eds) Concepts and Controversies in Tidal Marsh Ecology: 9–19. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. &
- 2001. Comparison of nitrogen cycling in saltmarsh zones related to sea level rise. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 221: 1–16. &
- 2000. Review of nitrogen and phosphorus metabolism in seagrasses. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 250: 133–167. &
- 1999. Primary production by phytopklankton and microphytobenthos in estuaries. Adv. Ecol. Res. 29: 93–153. &
- 1984. Marine Ecological Processes. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- 2000. Role of salt marshes as part of coastal landscapes. In Weinstein, M.P. & Kreeger, D.A. (eds) Concepts and Controversies in Tidal Marsh Ecology: 23–38. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers. , , , , &