Predicting the effects of marine climate change on the invertebrate prey of the birds of rocky shores
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s1, pages 40–47, September 2004
How to Cite
Kendall, M. A., Burrows, M. T., Southward, A. J. and Hawkins, S. J. (2004), Predicting the effects of marine climate change on the invertebrate prey of the birds of rocky shores. Ibis, 146: 40–47. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00326.x
- Issue published online: 23 SEP 2004
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2004
- Received 23 March 2002; revision accepted 4 December 2003.
- 1961. A biologically-defined exposure scale for the comparative description of rocky shores. Field Studies 1: 1–17.
- 1976. The rate of development of the embryos of Balanus balanoides (L.) from a number of European and American populations. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 24: 251–269. &
- 1982. Some observations concerning the relationship between reproductive strategy and distribution area in annelids (Polychaeta). Oceanol. Acta 5: 465–472.
- 1992. A comparison of reproduction in co-occurring chthamalid barnacles, Chthamalus stellatus (Poli) and Chthamalus montagui (Southward). J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 160: 229–249. , &
- 1999. Limpet Patella spp. consumption by Oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus: a preference for solitary prey items. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 183: 253–261. , , &
- 1964. The effects of the severe winter of 1962–3 on marine life in Britain. J. Anim. Ecol. 33: 165–210.
- 1958. The distribution of intertidal organisms along the coasts of the English Channel. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 37: 157–208. &
- 1985. Birds as predators on rocky shores. In Moore, P.G. & Seed, R. (eds) The Ecology of Rocky Coasts: 249–264. London: Hodder and Stoughton. &
- 1953. The barnacle Balanus balanoides in Spitzbergen. Skrifter Norsk Polarinstitut 98: 1–64.
- 2002. Detection of environmental change – evidence from the Western English Channel. Sci. Total Environ. 310: 245–256. , &
- 2001. The Impact of Climate Change on Subtidal and Intertidal Benthic Species in Scotland. Report to Scottish National Heritage from the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom – Final Report. Plymouth: Marine Biological Association. , , , &
- 2002. Climate Change Scenarios for the United Kingdom: the UKCIP02 Scientific Report. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research. Norwich: University of East Anglia. , , , , , , , , , , & (eds).
- 1947. The bases for temperature zonation in geographical distribution. Ecol. Monogr. 17: 325–335.
- 2000. Spatial and temporal variation in settlement and recruitment of the intertidal barnacle Semibalanus balanoides (L.) (Crustacea: Cirripedia) over a European scale. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 243: 209–225. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1999. Settlement and post-settlement interactions between Semibalanus balanoides (L.) (Crustacea: Cirripedia) and three species of fucoid canopy algae. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 236: 49–67. , &
- 1999. Surface air temperatures and its changes over the past 150 years. Rev. Geophys. 37: 173–199 . , , , &
- 1987. Reproduction and recruitment in the barnacle Chthamalus montagui at Aberystwyth (mid-Wales). Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 38: 305–308. &
- 1985. Annual recruitment of Semibalanus balanoides on the Yorkshire Coast 1968–82. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 65: 1009–1030. , , &
- 1986. Temporal and spatial patterns in the recruitment of Gibbula umbilicalis. Hydrobiologia 142: 15–22. &
- 1987. Annual variation in recruitment and population structure of Monodonta lineata and Gibbula umbilicalis populations at Aberaeron (mid-Wales). Est. Coast. Shelf Sci. 24: 499–511. , &
- 1964. The Ecology of Rocky Shores. London: English Universities Press.
- 1976. Long term ecological surveillance: practical realities in the rocky littoral. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev. 14: 371–390.
- 1986. Latitudinal trends in reproduction, recruitment and population characteristics of some rocky littoral molluscs and cirripedes. Hydrobiologia 142: 1–13.
- 1996. Coastal benthos and global warming: strategies and problems. Mar. Pollut. Bull. 32: 698–700.
- 1999. Coastal zone conservation and management: a biological indicator of climatic influences. Aquat Conserv. Mar. Freshw. Ecosyst. 9: 401–405.
- 1982. Some geographical components in population dynamics; possibilities and realities in some littoral species. Neth. J. Sea Res. 16: 18–28. , , &
- 2004. The possible impact of climate change on the future distributions and numbers of waders on Britain's non-estuarine coast. Ibis 146 (Suppl.1): S70–S81. , , , &
- 2003. Predicting the impact of climatic change on Arctic-breeding waders. Wader Study Group Bull. 100: 86–95. &
- 1991. Forty years changes in species composition and population density of barnacles on a rocky shore near Plymouth. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 71: 3495–3513.
- 1956. Fluctuations in the distribution and abundance of intertidal barnacles. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 35: 211–229. &
- 1995. 70 years observations of changes in distribution and abundance of zooplankton and intertidal organisms in the Western English-Channel in relation to rising sea temperature. J. Therm. Biol. 20: 127–155. , &
- 1984. Sun and shade mediate competition in the barnacles Chthamalus and Semibalanus – a field experiment. Biol. Bull. 167: 176–185.
- 2000. Water Birds on the Edge. First Circumpolar Assessment of Climate Change Impact on Arctic Breeding Water Birds. Cambridge: World Conservation Monitoring Centre. &