Numerical and functional responses of breeding passerine species to mass occurrence of geometrid caterpillars in a subalpine birch forest: a 30-year study
Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2004
Volume 147, Issue 1, pages 77–91, January 2005
How to Cite
HOGSTAD, O. (2005), Numerical and functional responses of breeding passerine species to mass occurrence of geometrid caterpillars in a subalpine birch forest: a 30-year study. Ibis, 147: 77–91. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00338.x
- Issue online: 16 DEC 2004
- Version of Record online: 18 AUG 2004
- Received 26 March 2003; revision accepted 15 June 2004.
- Anon. 1970. Recommendations for an international standard for a mapping method in bird census work. In Svensson, S. (ed.) Bird Census Work and Environmental Monitoring: 49–52. Stockholm: Bull. Ecol. Res. Comm. 9 NFR.
- 1986. Territory size in a Willow Warbler Phylloscopus trochilus population in mountain birch forest in Swedish Lapland. Ornis Scand. 17: 24–30. &
- 1992. Bird Census Techniques. London: Academic Press. , &
- 1979. Feeding ecology of a population of nesting Yellow Warblers. Can. J. Zool. 57: 1670–1681. &
- 1994. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. 8. Oxford: Oxford University Press. & (eds)
- 1989. Predation by birds on Spruce Budworm Choristoneura fumiferana: functional, numerical and total responses. Ecology 70: 152–163. &
- 1984. The composition and dynamics of the passerine bird community in a subalpine birch forest, Swedish Lapland, a 20-year study. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 21: 321–338. , &
- 1960. Populations of tits and Goldcrests and their food supply in pine plantations. Ibis 102: 163–208.
- 1991. Cyclic fluctuations in density: interactions between a defoliator and its host tree. Acta Oecol. 12: 77–88.
- 1982. Breeding success of Finnish birds in the bad summer weather of 1981. Ornis Fenn. 59: 20–31. , , &
- 1968. Comparison of quantitative bird investigations in 1966 and 1967 in a subalpine region in Sør-Trøndelag (South Norway). Sterna 8: 81–90.
- 1982. Seasonal and daily weight variation of adult Bramblings Fringilla montifringilla during the breeding season. Fauna Norv. Series C, Cinclus 5: 59–64.
- 1985a. Annual variation in mean body size of a Brambling Fringilla montifringilla population. Ornis Fenn. 62: 13–18.
- 1985b. Improved breeding success of Willow Warblers Phylloscopus trochilus nesting above the ground during a peak year of small rodents. Fauna Norv. Series C, Cinclus 8: 119.
- 1988. Foraging pattern and prey selection of breeding Bramblings Fringilla montifringilla. Fauna Norv. Series C, Cinclus 11: 27–39.
- 1996a. Population fluctuation of the Redpoll Carduelis flammea during 31 years in a subalpine birch forest in Central Norway. Vår Fuglefauna 19: 149–155.
- 1996b. Morphological changes of Epirrita autumnata Bkh. and Operophtera brumata (L.) (Lep., Geometridae) during a mass outbreak in a subalpine birch forest in Central Norway. Fauna Norv. Series B 43: 47–57.
- 1997. Population fluctuations of Epirrita autumnata Bkh. and Operophtera brumata (L.) (Lep., Geometridae) during 25 years and habitat distribution of their larvae during a mass outbreak in a subalpine birch forest in Central Norway. Fauna Norv. Series B 44: 1–10.
- 2000a. Fluctuation of a breeding population of Brambling Fringilla montifringilla during 33 years in a subalpine forest. Ornis Fenn. 77: 97–103.
- 2000b. The Brambling – a key species of the mountain forest. Vår Fuglefauna 23: 152–161 (in Norwegian).
- 1986. Variation in the head plumage pattern of the Brambling Fringilla montifringilla. Fauna Norv. Series C, Cinclus 10: 7–10. &
- 1988. Community structure, population fluctuations, and resource dynamics of birds in temperate deciduous forests. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 19: 1318–1327.
- 1990. The structure of a temperate deciduous forest bird community: variability in time and space. In Keast, A. (ed.) Biogeography and Ecology of Forest Bird Communities: 121–139. The Hague: Academic Publishing.
- 1988. Assessing population trends of New Hampshire forest birds: local vs regional patterns. Auk 105: 756–768. &
- 1986. Bird community dynamics in a temperate deciduous forest: long-term trends at Hubbard Brook. Ecol. Monogr. 56: 201–220. , &
- 1991. Numerical and demographic responses of temperate forest birds to annual fluctuations in their food resources. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 20: 1559–1567. , &
- 1985. Predation causing extended low densities in microtine cycles: implications from predation on hole-nesting passerines. Oikos 45: 157–158.
- 1996. The importance of productivity to the dynamics of a Swainson's Thrush population. Condor 98: 133–141. &
- 1998. Delayed induced changes in the biochemical composition of host plant leaves during an insect outbreak. Oecologia 116: 182–190. , , , &
- 1982. Pairing systems and site tenacity of the Willow Warbler Phylloscopus trochilus in southern England. Ornis Scand. 13: 193–199.
- 1987. Breeding nomadism and site tenacity in the Brambling Fringilla montifringilla. Ornis Fenn. 64: 50–56.
- 1990. Periodic fluctuations in small mammals at Boda, Sweden from 1961 to 1988. J. Anim. Ecol. 59: 753–761. , &
- 1987. Food as a limit on breeding birds: a life-history perspective. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18: 453–487.
- 1989. Territorial and nonterritorial settling in juvenile Eurasian Nuthatches (Sitta europaea L.) in summer. Auk 106: 560–567.
- 1983. Breeding site tenacity of the Chaffinch Fringilla coelebs and the Brambling F. montifringilla in northern Finland. Ornis Scand. 14: 36–47.
- 1989. American Warblers: an Ecological and Behavioural Perspective. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1991. Tits and their caterpillar food supply. Ibis 133 (Suppl. 1): 49–54.
- 1991. Site tenacity and annual survival of a Willow Warbler Phylloscopus trochilus population in Southern England. Ring. Migr. 12: 128–134. &
- 1975. Insect Ecology. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- 1992. Results of experiments and natural food reductions for breeding Black-throated Blue Warblers. Ecology 73: 357–372. &
- 1970. Factors governing the hunting behaviour and selection of food by the great tit (Parus major L.). J. Anim. Ecol. 39: 619–659.
- 2000. Causes of cyclicity of Epirrita autumnata (Lepidoptera, Geometrida): grandiose theory and tedious practice. Population Ecol. 42: 211–223. , , , , &
- 2001. Population cycles of autumnal moth, Epirrita autumnata, in relation to birch mast seeding. Oecologia 129: 213–219. , , &
- 1991. Population fluctuations in a long distance neotropical migrant: demographic evidence for the importance of breeding season events in the American Redstart. In Johnston, D.W. & Hagan, J.M. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Neotropical Migrant Landbirds: 431–442. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Press. &
- 1998. Stress responses in birds. Poultry Avian Biol. Rev. 9: 153–168.
- 1997. The adrenocortical responses to stress in breeding Willow Warblers Phylloscopus trochilus in Sweden: effects of latitude and gender. Func. Ecol. 11: 376–384. , &
- 1990. Nest-box studies on hole-nesting passerines in spruce forest. II. Reproductive success in the Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca. Fauna Norv. Series C, Cinclus 13: 42–46. , &
- 1988. Searching for density-dependent regulation in a population of pied flycatchers Ficedula hypoleuca Pallas. J. Anim. Ecol. 57: 307–317. , &
- 1972. The outbreaks of Oporinia autumnata (Bkh.) and Operophtera spp. (Lep., Geometridae) in the Scandinavian mountain chain and northern Finland 1862–1968. Zool. Bidr. Uppsala 2 (Suppl.): 1–107.
- 1996. Hazards to a mountain birch forest – Abisko in perspective. Ecol. Bull. 45: 104–114.
- 1999. Can a 12-year study of the Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca reveal the breeding population dynamics? Vogelwelt 120 (Suppl.): 355–360. &
- 1983. Dynamics of a local population of the Willow Warbler Phylloscopus trochilus in southern Finland. Ornis Scand. 14: 1–15.
- 2003. Variation in Blue Tit breeding performance across gradients in habitat richness. Ecology 84: 3033–3043. , , , &
- 1984. Breeding biology of the Pied Flycatcher Ficedula hypoleuca in relation to population density. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 21: 187–197.
- 1972. The stationary passerine populations in the breeding season, 1968–70, in two mountain forest habitats on the west coast of southern Norway. Norwegian J. Zool. 20: 61–89.