Managing the UK Grey Partridge Perdix perdix recovery: population change, reproduction, habitat and shooting
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 181–191, November 2004
How to Cite
AEBISCHER, N. J. and EWALD, J. A. (2004), Managing the UK Grey Partridge Perdix perdix recovery: population change, reproduction, habitat and shooting. Ibis, 146: 181–191. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00345.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 1991. Sustainable yields: gamebirds as a harvestable resource. Gibier Faune Sauvage 8: 335–351.
- 1997. Gamebirds: management of the Grey Partridge in Britain. In Bolton, M. (ed.) Conservation and the Use of Wildlife Resources: 131–151. London: Chapman & Hall.
- in press. Restoring the fortunes of the Grey Partridge in the UK: the GCT recovery programme. In Perco, F. & Potts, G.R. (eds) Managing Partridges and Other Game in the Agricultural Landscape. Udine: Provincia di Udine.
- 1998. Spatial changes in Grey Partridge (Perdix perdix) distribution in relation to 25 years of changing agriculture in Sussex, U.K. Gibier Faune Sauvage 15: 293–308. &
- 2000. From science to recovery: four case studies of how research has been translated into conservation action in the UK. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 43–54. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , &
- 2002. Preliminary results from using GIS to examine spatial variation in Grey Partridge demography over 30 years in Sussex, UK. Proc. IUGB Congr. 24: 23–33. , &
- 2003. Predicting the Response of Farmland Birds to Agricultural Change. BTO Research Report 289. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology. , , , , &
- Anon. 1995. Biodiversity: the UK Steering Group Report, Vol. 2: Action Plans. London: HMSO.
- Anon. 2003. Entry Level Agri-Environment Scheme Pilot: Scheme. Guidance Booklet. London: Defra.
- 2002. Breeding Birds in the Wider Countryside: Their Conservation Status 2001. BTO Research Report no. 278. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Five-year evaluation of the impact of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme on birds. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 171–180. , , &
- 2002. Farming and Food: a Sustainable Future. Policy Commission on the Future of Farming and Food. London: HMSO.
- 1993. The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland: 1988–1991. London: T. & A.D. Poyser. , &
- 2004. The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 1–13. , &
- 1988. The Pheasant: Ecology, Management and Conservation. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications. &
- 1990. Population Trends in British Breeding Birds. Tring: British Trust for Ornithology. , , &
- 1978. The effects on a partridge population of predator control, insect shortages, different shooting pressures and releasing reared birds. Game Conserv. Ann. Rev. 1977 9: 75–83.
- 1980. The effects of modern agriculture, nest predation and game management on the population ecology of partridges (Perdix perdix and Alectoris rufa). Adv. Ecol. Res. 11: 1–79.
- 1986. The Partridge: Pesticides, Predation and Conservation. London: Collins.
- 1995. Population dynamics of the Grey Partridge Perdix perdix 1793–1993: monitoring, modelling and management. Ibis 137 (Suppl. 1): 29–37. &
- 1987. Hedgerow management for the conservation of partridges Perdix perdix and Alectoris rufa. Biol. Conserv. 40: 127–139.
- 2003. The Breeding Bird Survey 2002. BTO Research Report no. 334. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology. , &
- 1991. Wise use and conservation. Gibier Faune Sauvage 8: 379–388.
- 1993. Manipulating pesticide use to increase the production of wild game birds in Britain. In Church, K.E. & Dailey, T.V. (eds) Quail III: National Quail Symposium: 92–101. Pratt: Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. , &
- 1992. Game Heritage: an Ecological Review from Shooting and Gamekeeping Records. Fordingbridge: Game Conservancy Ltd.
- 1999. A Question of Balance: Game Animals and Their Role in the British Countryside. Fordingbridge: The Game Conservancy Trust.
- 2001. Conserving the Grey Partridge. Fordingbridge: The Game Conservancy Trust.
- 1963. The interpretation of insect population changes. Proc. Ceylon Assoc. Adv. Sci. 18(D): 142–156. &