Evidence for the indirect effects of pesticides on farmland birds
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 131–143, November 2004
How to Cite
BOATMAN, N. D., BRICKLE, N. W., HART, J. D., MILSOM, T. P., MORRIS, A. J., MURRAY, A. W. A., MURRAY, K. A. and ROBERTSON, P. A. (2004), Evidence for the indirect effects of pesticides on farmland birds. Ibis, 146: 131–143. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00347.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 2003. A risk assessment framework for determining the effects of pesticides on farmland biodiversity. BCPC Int. Congr. – Crop Sci. Technol. 2003: 239–244. , , , , &
- 2000. Habitat associations and breeding success of yellowhammers on lowland farmland. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 789–805. , , , , &
- 2003. Habitat and weather are weak correlates of nestling condition and growth rates of four UK farmland passerines. Ibis 145: 295–306. , , , &
- 1999. The effect of agricultural intensification on the decline of the Corn Bunting, Miliaria calandra. DPhil thesis. University of Sussex.
- 2002. Agricultural intensification and the timing of breeding of Corn Buntings Miliaria calandra. Bird Study 49: 219–228. &
- 2000. Effects of agricultural intensification on the breeding success of corn buntings Miliaria calandra. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 742–755. , , &
- 2003. Habitat use, foraging ecology and diet of Turtle Doves Streptopelia turtur in Britain. Ibis 145: 572–582. &
- 2004. Temporal changes in the breeding ecology of European Turtle Doves Streptopelia turtur in Britain, and implications for conservation. Ibis 146: 125–137. &
- 2000. Pesticides and their effects on lowland farmland birds. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 89–104. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union.
- 1997. A Review of the Indirect Effects of Pesticides on Birds. JNCC Report 227. Peterborough: Joint Nature Conservation Committee. , , , , &
- 2000. Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 71–788. , , , &
- 2001a. Agricultural intensification and the collapse of Europe's farmland bird populations. Proc. Royal Soc. Lond. B 268: 25–29. , &
- 2001b. Body condition, growth rates and diet of Skylark Alauda arvensis nestlings on lowland farmland. Ibis 143: 658–669. , , , , &
- 2002. Survival rates, causes of failure and productivity of Skylark Alauda arvensis nests on lowland farmland. Ibis 144: 652–664. , , , , &
- 2001. The effects of agriculture on Swallows, Hirundo rustica. PhD thesis, University of Oxford.
- 1999. Pesticide Use, Avian Food Rresources and Bird Densities in Sussex. Peterborough: Joint Nature Conservation Committee. &
- 2002. Spatial variation in densities of farmland birds in relation to pesticide use and avian food resources. In Chamberlain, D. & Wilson, A. (eds) Avian Landscape Ecology-Pure and Applied Issues in the Large-Scale Ecology of Birds: 305–312. IALE. , , , , &
- 2002. The changing status of arable plants that are important food items for farmland birds. Aspects of Applied Biology 67, Birds and Agriculture 67: 165–170. &
- 1993. The GLIM System. Release 4 Manual. Oxford: Clarendon Press. , &
- 2000. Relationships between recent changes in lowland British agriculture and farmland bird populations: an overview. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 5–16. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union.
- 1984. The feeding ecology and survival of partridge chicks (Alectoris rufa and Perdix perdix) on arable farmland in East Anglia. J. Appl. Ecol. 21: 817–830.
- 2004. The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 1–13. , &
- 2003. Responses of plants and invertebrate trophic groups to contrasting herbicide regimes in the Farm Scale Evaluations of genetically modified herbicide-tolerant crops. Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. Lond. B 358: 1899–1913. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Weeds in fields with contrasting conventional and genetically modified herbicide-tolerant crops. I. Effects on abundance and diversity. Phil. Trans. Royal Soc. Lond. B 358: 1819–1832. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1985. The feeding ecology and survival of pheasant chicks on arable farmland. J. Appl. Ecol. 22: 645–654.
- 1997. A comparison of goodness-of-fit tests for the logistic regression model. Statistics Med. 16: 965–980. , , &
- 2002. Linnet. In Assessing the Indirect Effects of Pesticides on Birds. Unpublished report to Defra. Sandy: RSPB.
- 1997. The diet of nestling Linnets Carduelis cannabina before and after agricultural intensification. Brighton Crop Protection Conference – Weeds: 923–928. Farnham: British Crop Protection Council. , &
- 1999. Influence of autumn applied herbicides on summer and autumn food available to birds in winter wheat fields in southern England. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 72: 285–297. &
- 2001. Foraging habitat selection by Yellowhammers (Emberiza citrinella) in agriculturally contrasting regions in lowland England. Biol. Conserv. 98: 197–210. , , , , , &
- 2002. Indirect effects of pesticides on breeding yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella. BCPC Conf. – Pests Dis. 2002: 965–970. , &
- 2004. Evidence for indirect effects of pesticides on breeding yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. in press. , , &
- 2004. Factors affecting foraging by breeding farmland birds. PhD thesis, Harper Adams University College.
- 1995. The contribution of some recent research on birds to ecological understanding. J. Anim. Ecol. 64: 675–696.
- 2004. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain. An appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146: 579–600.
- 1984. Behavioural regulation of bird populations: a review of habitat use in relation to migration and residency. In Sibly, R.M. & Smith, R.H. (eds) Behavioural Ecology: Ecological Consequences of Adaptive Behaviour: 25th Symposium of the British Ecological Society: 105–142. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications.
- 2002. Use of field margins by foraging yellowhammers. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 93: 413–420. , , &
- 1980. The effects of modern agriculture, nest predation and game management on the population ecology of partridges (Perdix perdix and Alectoris rufa). Adv. Ecol. Res. 11: 1–79.
- 1986. The Partridge: Pesticides, Predation and Conservation. London: Collins.
- 1991. Modelling the population dynamics of the Grey Partridge: conservation and management. In Perrins, C.M., Lebreton, J.-D. & Hirons, G.J.M. (eds) Bird Population Studies: Their Relevance to Conservation and Management: 373–390. Oxford: Oxford University Press. &
- 1995. Population dynamics of the Grey Partridge Perdix perdix 1793–1993: monitoring, modelling and management. Ibis 137: S29–S37. &
- 1998. Comparative nesting and feeding ecology of skylarks Alauda arvensis on arable farmland in southern England with special reference to set-aside. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 131–147. , &
- 1985. Pesticide use on cereals and the survival of Grey Partridge chicks: a field experiment. J. Appl. Ecol. 22: 49–54.
- 1986. The survival of gamebird (Galliformes) chicks in relation to pesticide use on cereals. Ibis 128: 57–64.
- 1999. The winter distribution of seed-eating birds: habitat structure, seed density and seasonal depletion. Ecography 22: 447–454. &
- 2004. Habitat use by seed-eating birds: a scale-dependent approach. Ibis 146: 88–99. , , &
- 1998a. Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Bird Census indices. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 24–43. , , , , &
- 1998b. Variation in the survival rates of some British passerines with respect to their population trends on farmland. Bird Study 45: 276–292. , &
- 2000. The demography of lowland farmland birds. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 117–133. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , , , &
- 1990. Indirect impacts of pesticides on the production of wild gamebirds in Britain. In Church, K.E., Warner, R.E. & Brady, S.J. (eds) Perdix V, Gray Partridge and Ring-necked Pheasant Workshop: 84–102. Emporia: Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks. &
- 2003. Predicting the response of farmland bird populations to changing food supplies. J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 970–983. , , &
- 1998. Breeding ecology of farmland Yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella. Bird Study 45: 109–121. , &
- 1993. Procedure GLMM. Genstat 5 Procedure Library Manual. Oxford: NAG.
- 1996. The Diet of Bird Species of Lowland Farmland: a Literature Review. Unpublished report to the Department of the Environment and Joint Nature Conservation Committee. Sandy: University of Oxford & Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. , &