Five-year evaluation of the impact of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme on birds
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 171–180, November 2004
How to Cite
BRADBURY, R. B., BROWNE, S. J., STEVENS, D. K. and AEBISCHER, N. J. (2004), Five-year evaluation of the impact of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme on birds. Ibis, 146: 171–180. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00348.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 2004. Managing the Grey Partridge recovery: population change, reproduction, habitat and shooting. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 181–191. &
- 2000. From science to recovery: four case studies of how research has been translated into conservation action in the UK. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 43–54. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , &
- Anon. 1995. Action Plans, Vol. 2. Biodiversity. The UK Steering Group Report. London: HMSO.
- Anon. 1998. UK Biodiversity Group Tranche 2 Action Plans. Vertebrates and Vascular Plants, vol. 1. Peterborough: English Nature,.
- Anon. 1999. A Better Quality of Life – a Strategy for Sustainable Development for the United Kingdom. London: DETR.
- Anon. 2001. Ecological Evaluation of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme 1998–2000. Report to UK Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. Boxworth: ADAS Consulting Ltd, The Centre for Land Use and Water Resources Research at the University of Newcastle, Edward Grey Institute of Field Ornithology at the University of Oxford & The Game Conservancy Trust.
- 2002. Grassland nature reserves for breeding wading birds in England and the implications for the ESA agri-environment scheme. Biol. Conserv. 106: 279–291. &
- 2002. Growing crops to provide food for seed-eating farmland birds in winter. Aspects Appl. Biol. 67: 229–236. &
- 2003. Evaluation of the impact of the pilot UK Arable Stewardship Scheme on breeding and wintering birds. Bird Study 50: 131–141. &
- 1997. The use of game cover and game feeders by songbirds in winter. In Kirkwood, R.C. (ed.) Biodiversity and Conservation in Agriculture: 1183–1190. BCPC Proceedings No. 69. Farnham: British Crop Protection Council.
- 1999. Use of set-aside land in winter by declining farmland bird species in the UK. Bird Study 46: 157–169. , , , &
- 1997. The importance of mixed farming for seed-eating birds in the UK. In Pain, D.J. & Pienkowski, M.W. (eds) Farming and Birds in Europe. The Common Agricultural Policy and its Implications for Bird Conservation: 331–357. London: Academic Press.
- 2002. The role of research and development in the evolution of a ‘smart’ agri-environment scheme. Aspects Appl. Biol. 67: 253–264. , &
- 2003. The State of the UK's Birds 2002. Sandy: RSPB, BTO, WWT and JNCC. , , , , , , &
- 2001. Agri-environment schemes do not effectively protect biodiversity in Dutch agricultural landscapes. Nature 413: 723–725. , , &
- 2003. How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 947–969. &
- 1999. The second silent spring? Nature 400: 611–612. , , &
- (eds) 1997. Farming and Birds in Europe. The Common Agricultural Policy and its Implications for Bird Conservation. London: Academic Press. &
- 2001. Countryside Stewardship delivers Cirl Buntings (Emberiza cirlus) in Devon, UK. Biol. Conserv. 101: 361–373. , , &
- 2004. Policy into practice: the development and delivery of agri-environment schemes and supporting advice in England. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 250–258. , &
- 2004. The role of agri-environment schemes and farm management practices in reversing the decline of farmland birds in England. Biol. Conserv 119: 19–39. , , , &
- 1996. Field use by farmland birds in winter: an analysis of field type preferences using resampling methods. Bird Study 43: 320–332. , &
- 2004. Changes in breeding wader populations on lowland wet grasslands in England and Wales: a review of causes and potential solutions. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 32–40. , &