Quantifying the effects of habitat structure on prey detectability and accessibility to farmland birds
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 123–130, November 2004
How to Cite
BUTLER, S. J. and GILLINGS, S. (2004), Quantifying the effects of habitat structure on prey detectability and accessibility to farmland birds. Ibis, 146: 123–130. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00352.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 1973. Observational study of behaviour: sampling methods. Behaviour 49: 227–267.
- 1997. Saltatory search: a theoretical analysis. Behav. Ecol. 8: 307–317. , &
- 2003. Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 182–188. , &
- 1997. The relative importance of habitat structure and prey characteristics for the foraging success of Water Pipits (Anthus spinoletta). Ethology 103: 222–235. , &
- 1988. Patch use as an indicator of habitat preference, predation risk and competition. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 22: 37–47.
- 1997. Competition between birds and mammals: a comparison of giving-up densities between Crested Larks and gerbils. Evol Ecol. 11: 757–771. , &
- 1977. Foraging rates of Starlings in two habitats. Condor 79: 386–387.
- 2003. Good foragers can also be good at detecting predators. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Series B-Biol. Sci. 270: 1069–1076. , , &
- 1992. Metabolic aspects of shivering thermogenesis in passerines during winter. Ornis Scand. 23: 381–387. , &
- 2004. The effect of sward height and drainage on Starlings Sturnus vulgaris and Lapwings Vanellus vanellus foraging in grassland habitats. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 115–122. , , &
- 1994. Predicting the effects of agricultural changes in central Spanish croplands on seed-eating overwintering birds. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 49: 289–298. &
- 1985. Prey detectability for fish-eating birds in relation to fish density and water transparency. Ornis Scand. 16: 1–7.
- 1991. Random prey detection with pause-travel search. Am. Natur. 138: 1459–1477. &
- 2003. Diurnal and nocturnal ecology of Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria and Lapwings Vanellus vanellus wintering on arable farmland. PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
- in press.Prey detectability: significance and measurement using novel laser pen technique. Wader Study Group Bull.
- 1987. Comparative winter feeding ecology of Lapwings Vanellus vanellus and Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria on cereals and grassland in the Lower Derwent valley. Bird Study 34: 244–250.
- 2004. The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 1–13. , &
- 1985. From individual behaviour to population dynamics. In Sibley, R.M. & Smith, R.H. (eds) Behavioural Ecology: Ecological Consequences of Adaptive Behaviour: 3–32. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications. &
- 2002. The importance of grazed habitat for foraging Choughs Pyrrhocorax pyrrhocorax, and its implications for agri-environment schemes. Aspects Appl. Ecol. 67: 59–66. , &
- 1954. The Natural Regulation of Animal Numbers. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1990. Protective cover and the use of space: different strategies in finches. Oikos 58: 151–158.
- 1995. Factors affecting the size of leatherjacket (Diptera: Tipulidae) populations in pastures in the west of Scotland. Appl. Soil Ecol. 2: 203–213. , &
- 1985. Prey detection by intertidally feeding Lapwing. Z. Tierpsychol. 67: 45–57.
- 1987. Predation risk impairs diet selection in juvenile salmon. Anim. Behav. 35: 931–933. , &
- 1998. Design of grassland feeding areas for waders during winter: the relative importance of sward, landscape factors and human disturbance. Biol. Conserv. 84: 119–129. , , , &
- 2002. The selection of stubble fields by wintering granivorous passerines reflects vegetation cover and food abundance. J. Appl. Ecol. 39: 535–547. , , &
- 2002. Determinants of patch selection by Yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella foraging in cereal crops. Aspects Appl. Biol. 67: 43–50. , &
- 1990. SPSS/PC+ Advanced Statistics 4.0. Gorinchem, The Netherlands: SPSS Ltd.
- 1997. Post-dispersal predation on Pinus sylvestris seeds by Fringilla spp.: ground substrate affects selection for seed colour. Oecologia 110: 353–359. &
- 1990. Search strategies of foraging animals. Am. Sci. 78: 152–160. , &
- 2000. Habitat characteristics affecting use of lowland agricultural grassland by birds in winter. Biol. Conserv. 95: 279–294. , , , , &
- 1981. Biometry, 2nd edn. New York: W.H. Freeman &. Co. &
- 1984. Identification Guide to European Passerines. Tring, UK: British Trust for Ornithology.
- 1998. Factors determining winter densities of birds on Environmentally Sensitive Area arable reversion grasslands in southern England, with special reference to Skylarks (Alauda arvensis). Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 70: 189–201. &
- 1970. Animal Populations in Relation to Their Food Resources. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications.
- 1995. Winter field use by the European Starling Sturnus vulgaris: habitat preferences and the availability of prey. J. Avian Biol. 26: 193–202. , &
- 2004. A review of the effects of habitat structure on predation risk of birds in agricultural landscapes. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 210–220. &
- 2002. The influence of substrate on the functional response of an avian granivore and its implications for farmland bird conservation. Oecologia 130: 637–644. &
- 2004. The effect of limited visibility on vigilance behaviour and speed of predator detection: implications for the conservation of granivorous passerines. Oikos 106: 377–385. , , &
- 1993. How the food supply harvestable by waders in the Wadden Sea depends on the variation in energy density, body weight, biomass, burying depth and behaviour of tidal-flat invertebrates. Neth. J. Sea Res. 31: 441–476. &