Non-inversion tillage and farmland birds: a review with special reference to the UK and Europe
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 192–202, November 2004
How to Cite
CUNNINGHAM, H. M., CHANEY, K., BRADBURY, R. B. and WILCOX, A. (2004), Non-inversion tillage and farmland birds: a review with special reference to the UK and Europe. Ibis, 146: 192–202. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00354.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 1979. Problems of interpreting arthropod sampling with pitfall traps. Zool. Anz., Jena 202: 177–184.
- 1990. Assessing pesticide effects on non-target invertebrates using long term monitoring and time-series monitoring. Funct. Ecol. 4: 369–373.
- 1991. Twenty years of monitoring invertebrates and weeds in cereal fields in Sussex. In Firbank, L.G., Carter, N., Darbyshire, J.F. & Potts, G.R. (eds) The Ecology of Temperate Cereal Fields: 305–331. Oxford: Blackwell.
- 1990. Long-term changes in numbers of cereal invertebrates assessed by monitoring. In: Brighton Crop Protection Conference – Pests and Diseases: 163–172. Brighton: BCPC. &
- 1987. Regnorme uddrevet med strom i forsog med direkte saning og plojning. Dan. J. Plant Soil Sci. 91: 3–14.
- 1999. Plant protection in spring cereal production with reduced tillage. II. Pests and beneficial insects. Crop Protection 18: 651–657.
- 2003. Long-term experiments with reduced tillage in spring cereals. II. Effects on pests and beneficial insects. Crop Protection 22: 147–152.
- 1997. Carabid beetles and agricultural practices: influence of soil ploughing. Biol. Agr. Hort. 15: 185–190. &
- 1989. Reduced tillage in Great Britain: practical and research experience. In Baumer, K. & Ehlers, W. (eds) Energy Saving by Reduced Soil Tillage: 29–40. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities.
- 1999. Do host-plant requirements and mortality from soil cultivation determine the distribution of graminivorous sawflies on farmland? J. Appl. Ecol. 36: 271–282. , &
- 1979. The effects of different methods of cultivation and direct drilling and of contrasting methods of straw dispersal on populations of earthworms. J. Soil Sci. 30: 669–679. &
- 1986. Ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) populations in Kentucky Alfalfa and influence of tillage. J. Econ. Entomol. 79: 511–517. &
- 2002. Linking agricultural practice to insect and bird populations: a historical study over three decades. J. Appl. Ecol. 39: 673–687. , , &
- 1986. Conservation tillage: ecological traps for nesting birds? Wildl. Soc. Bull. 14: 308–317.
- 1989. Conventional and reduced tillage in Hungary – a review. Soil Tillage Res. 13: 233–252. , &
- 1983. Comparison of soil surface arthropod populations in conventional tillage, no-tillage and old field systems. Agro-Ecosystems 8: 247–253. &
- 2004. Evidence for the indifect effects of Desticides on farmland birds. Ibis 2004, 146: 132–144. , , , , , , &
- 1995. Earthworm populations (Lumbricidae) in ploughed and undisturbed leys. Soil Tillage Res. 35: 125–133.
- 2003. Evaluation of the impact of the pilot UK Arable Stewardship Scheme on breeding and wintering birds. Bird Study 50: 131–141. &
- 2004. Five-year evaluation of the impact of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme on birds. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 171–180. , , &
- 1999. Diet of nestling Corn Buntings (Miliaria calandra) in southern England examined by compositional analysis of faeces. Bird Study 46: 319–329. &
- 1985. Tillage and soil insecticide effects on predator – black cutworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) interaction in corn agroecosystems. J. Econ. Entomol. 78: 1389–1392. , &
- 1999. Use of set aside land in winter by declining farmland bird species in the UK. Bird Study 46: 157–169. , , , &
- 2004. Quantifying the effects of habitat structure on prey detectability and accessibility to farmland birds. Ibis 146: 124–131. &
- 1997. A Review of the Indirect Effects of Pesticides on Birds. JNCC Report 227. Peterborough: JNCC. , , , , &
- 1985. Reduced Tillage in Northwest Europe – a Review. Soil Tillage Res. 5: 129–177.
- 1995. Effect of tillage on ground beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) – A farm scale study in central alberta. Can. Entomol. 127: 631–639.
- 1995. Farming and ground beetles: effect of agronomic practice on populations and community structure. Can. Entomol. 127: 123–140. , &
- 2000. Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 771–788. , , , &
- 1985. The effects of direct drilling, shallow cultivation and ploughing on some soil properties in a long-term experiment on spring barley. J. Agr. Sci. 104: 125–133. , &
- 1999. Tillage practices, and temperature and moisture interactions affect earthworm populations and species composition. Pedobiologia 43: 658–665.
- 1993. Habitat preferences of generalist predators in reduced-tillage corn. J. Entomol. Sci. 28: 404–416. , , &
- 2002. The effect of non-inversion tillage on earthworm and arthropod populations as potential food sources for farmland birds. Asp. Appl. Biol. 67: 101–106. , , &
- 2003. Non-inversion tillage and farmland birds in winter. BCPC – Crop Science & Technology: 533–536. , , &
- in press. The effect of non-inversion tillage on field usage by UK farmland birds in winter. Bird Study in press. , , &
- 2001. Habitat use and diet of skylarks Alauda arvensis wintering on lowland farmland in southern Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 536–547. , , , , &
- 2002. The Common Agricultural Policy, EU enlargement and the conservation of Europe's farmland birds. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 89: 167–182. , , &
- 1987. Use of no-till winter-wheat by nesting ducks in North-Dakota. J. Soil Water Conserv. 42: 50–53. &
- ECAF. 2004. http://www.ecaf.org (Accessed 23 April 2004).
- 1975. Effects of direct drilling on the soil fauna. Outlook Agr. 8: 243–244.
- 1977. Investigations into the influence of agricultural practice on soil invertebrates. Ann. Appl. Biol. 87: 515–520.
- 1982. The effect of direct drilling and minimal cultivation on earthworm populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 19: 723–734. &
- 1989. Soil fauna in sustainable agriculture – results of an integrated farming system at Lautenbach, Frg. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 27: 561–572. &
- 2001. Response of earthworm communities to different types of soil tillage. Appl. Soil Ecol. 17: 91–96.
- 2002. The role of research and development in the evolution of a ‘smart’ agri-environment scheme. Asp. Appl. Biol. 67: 253–264. , &
- 1994. Bird use of agricultural fields under reduced and conventional tillage in the Texas Panhandle. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 22: 34–42. &
- 1995. Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conserv. Biol. 9: 1425–1441. , , , , , &
- 1985. Conservation tillage. Science 230: 625–629. , , &
- 1979. The effect on earthworms of ploughing, tined cultivation, direct drilling and nitrogen in a barley monoculture system. J. Agr. Sci., Camb. 93: 147–155. &
- 1978. Factors affecting the diet of farmland skylarks Alauda arvensis L. J. Anim. Ecol. 47: 913–928.
- 2002. The State of the UK's Birds 2001. Sandy: RSPB. , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 1–13. , &
- 2003. Summer diet and body condition of Song Thrushes Turdus philomelos in stable and declining farmland populations. Ibis 145: 637–649. , &
- 2004. The environmental consequences of adopting conservation tillage in Europe: reviewing the evidence. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 103: 1–25.
- 2003. The impact of soil cultivation on arthropod (Coleoptera and Araneae) emergence on arable land. Pedobiologia 47: 181–191. &
- 2001. Earthworm populations in conventional and integrated farming systems in the LIFE Project (SW England) in 1990–2000. Ann. Appl. Biol. 139: 361–372. , &
- 1990. Nahrungsokologie der Feldlerche Alauda arvensis in einer intensiv genutzten Agrarlandschaft des schweizerischen Mittellandes. Orn. Beob. 87: 31–53.
- 1997. Earthworm activity in no-tillage and conventional tillage systems in Missouri soils: a preliminary study. Soil Biol. Biochem. 29: 489–491. , , , , &
- 1995. Effects of soil management on cereal pests and their natural enemies. In Glen, D.M., Greaves, M.P. & Anderson, H.M. (eds) Ecology and Integrated Farming Systems: 85–102. Chichester: John Wiley. , , , , &
- 2001. Tillage systems and soil ecology. Soil Tillage Res. 61: 61–76.
- 2003. How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 947–969. &
- 2003. Intraguild interference and biocontrol effects of generalist predators in a winter wheat field. Oecologia 134: 144–153.
- 1997. Bird use and nesting in conventional, minimum-tillage, and organic cropland. J. Wildl. Manage. 61: 644–655. &
- 1999. The horizontal movement of seeds in arable soil by different soil cultivation methods. J. Appl. Ecol. 36: 443–454. &
- 2000. A test for a differential colonization and competitive ability in two generalist predators. Ecology 81: 3341–3349. , &
- 2003. The role of weeds in supporting biological diversity within crop fields. Weed Res. 43: 77–89. , , , , &
- 2003. Occurrence and productivity of songbirds in prairie farmland under conventional versus minimum tillage regimes. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 96: 107–117. &
- 1997. The diet of nestling Linnets Carduelis cannabina before and after agricultural intensification. In Kirkwood, R.C. (ed.) Biodiversity and Conservation in Agriculture: 923–928. Brighton: British Crop Protection Council. , &
- 2002. The selection of stubble fields by wintering granivorous birds reflects vegetation cover and food abundance. J. Appl. Ecol. 39: 535–547. , , &
- 1999. Influence of autumn applied herbicides on summer and autumn food available to birds in winter wheat fields in southern England. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 72: 285–297. &
- 2002. Indirect effects of pesticides on breeding yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella. In British Crop Protection Council – Pest and Diseases: 965–970. Brighton: BCPC. , &
- 2004. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain. An appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146: 579–600. .
- 1992. Earthworm community response to tillage and residue management on different soil types in southern Finland. Soil Tillage Res. 23: 221–239.
- 1999. Long-term changes in over-winter survival rates explain the decline of reed buntings Emberiza schoeniclus in Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 36: 798–811. , &
- 1970. Recent changes in the farmland fauna with special reference to the decline of the Grey Partridge. Bird Study 17: 145–166.
- 2002. The influence of cropping rotations and soil cultivation practice on the population ecology of carabids (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in arable land. Pedobiologia 46: 452–474. &
- 1999. Impact of ploughless soil tillage on yield and soil quality: a Scandinavian review. Soil Tillage Res. 53: 3–14.
- 1999. The winter distribution of seed-eating birds: habitat structure, seed density and seasonal depletion. Ecography 22: 447–454. &
- 2001. Earthworm communities in conventional wheat monocropping and low-input wheat-clover intercropping systems. Ann. Appl. Biol. 138: 377–388. , , , &
- 1998. Comparative tillage costs for crop rotations utilizing minimum tillage on a farm scale. Soil Tillage Res. 49: 223–231. , , &
- 1998a. Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Bird Census indices. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 24–43. , , , , &
- 1998b. Variation in the survival rates of some British passerines with respect to their population trends on farmland. Bird Study 45: 276–292. , &
- 2004. Effects of habitat on the use of supplementary food by farmland birds in winter. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 144–154. &
- SMI. 2004. http://www.smi.org.uk/casestudies/study09.html (accessed 23 April 2004).
- 1990. Arthropods and other invertebrates in conservation-tillage agriculture. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 35: 299–318. &
- 2003. Winter use of wild bird cover crops by passerines on farmland in northeast England. Bird Study 50: 15–21. , &
- 1997. ECOtillage: a sustainable management programme which reduces the cost of crop establishment and weed control, whilst providing environmental benefits. Brighton Crop Protection Conference – Weeds: 453–460. Brighton: BCPC. &
- 1997. Effects on earthworm populations of reducing pesticide use in arable crop rotations. Soil Biol. Biochem. 29: 657–661. , , &
- 1997. Field-scale effects of farming practices on linyphiid spider populations in grass and cereals. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 84: 59–69. &
- 1998. Isolating the components of activity-density for the carabid beetle Pterostichus melanarius in farmland. Oecologia 116: 103–112. , &
- 1993. Carabid beetle assemblage under diversified agroecosystems. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 68: 279–285.
- 1992. Earthworms in arable land taken out of cultivation. Soil Biol. Biochem. 24: 1673–1675.
- 1996a. The Diet of Bird Species of Lowland Farmland: A Literature Review. Report to the Department of the Environment and English Nature. London: Department of the Environment. , &
- 1996b. Field use by farmland birds in winter: an analysis of field type preferences using resampling methods. Bird Study 43: 320–332. , &
- 1999. A review of the abundance and diversity of invertebrate and plant foods of granivorous birds in northern Europe in relation to agricultural change. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ. 75: 13–30. , , , &
- 1992. Tillage treatments and earthworm distribution in a swiss experimental corn field. Soil Biol. Biochem. 24: 1635–1639. &