The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 1–13, November 2004
How to Cite
GREGORY, R. D., G. NOBLE, D. and CUSTANCE, J. (2004), The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. Ibis, 146: 1–13. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00358.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 2000a. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , , & (eds)
- 2000b. From science to recovery. Four case studies of how research has been translated into conservation action in the UK. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 43–54. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , &
- Anon. 1998. Sustainability Counts: Consultation Paper on a Set of ‘Headline Indicators of Sustainable Development. London: Department of the Environment, Transport and Regions.
- Anon. 1999. Quality of Life Counts. Indicators for a Strategy for Sustainable Development for the United Kingdom: a Baseline Assessment. London: Department of the Environment, Transport and Regions.
- Anon. 2002. Achieving a Better Quality of Life. Review of Progress Towards Sustainable Development. Government annual report 2001. London: Department of the Environment, Transport and Regions.
- Anon. 2003a. A Biodiversity Strategy for England. Measuring Progress: Baseline Assessment. London: Department of the Environment, Transport and Regions.
- Anon. 2003b. Regional Quality of Life Counts 2002. Regional Versions of the National Headline Indicators of Sustainable Development. London: Department of the Environment, Transport and Regions.
- 1992. Population limitation in Palaearctic–African migrant passerines. Ibis 134 (Suppl. 1): 120–132. &
- 2002. Linking agricultural practice to insect and bird populations: a historical study over three decades. J. Appl. Ecol. 39: 673–687. , , &
- 1999. Making the most of birds as environmental indicators. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 20: 81–88.
- 2000. The ecology of yellowhammers on lowland farmland. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 165–172. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. &
- 2000. Effects of agricultural intensification on the breeding success of corn buntings Miliaria calandra. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 742–755. , , &
- 2001. The Role of Agricultural Intensification in the Decline of the Turtle Dove Streptopelia turtur. English Nature Research Report 421. Peterborough: English Nature. &
- 1999. Population declines and reproductive performance of Skylarks Alauda arvensis in different regions and habitats of Great Britain. Ibis 141: 38–51. &
- 2000. Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 771–788. , , , &
- 2004. Breeding Birds in the Wider Countryside: Their Conservation Status 2003. BTO Research Report no. 353. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology (http://www.bto.org/birdtrends). , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1998. Changes in the abundance of invertebrates and plants on British farmland. Br. Wildlife 9: 279–289.
- 1997.The Ecology and Conservation of Corn Buntings Miliaria Calandra. Peterborough: JNCC. & (eds)
- 1994. Habitat selection by Corn Buntings Miliaria calandra in winter. Bird Study 41: 199–210. &
- 2001. The Ecology and Conservation of Skylarks Alauda arvensis. Sandy: RSPB. &
- 2001. Agricultural intensification and the collapse of Europe's farmland bird populations. Proc. Royal Soc. London (B) 268: 25–29. , &
- 2004. The State of the UK's Birds 2003. Sandy: RSPB, BTO & WWT. , , , , , , , &
- 1994. Habitat selection of Cirl Buntings Emberiza cirlus wintering in Britain. Bird Study 41: 81–87. &
- 2000. Analysis of population trends for farmland birds using generalized additive models. Ecology 81: 1970–1984. , , , &
- 2001. Statistical Analysis of an Indicator of Population Trends in Farmland Birds. BTO Research Report 251. Thetford: BTO & RSPB. , &
- 2002. Population dynamics of Starling Sturnus vulgaris breeding in Britain: an integrated analysis. In Crick, H.Q.P., Robinson, R.A., Appleton, G.F., Clark, N.A. & Rickard, A.D (eds) Investigation Into the Causes of the Decline of Starlings and House Sparrows in Great Britain. BTO Research Report 290. Thetford: BTO. , , , &
- 1995. Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conserv. Biol. 9: 1425–1441. , , , , , &
- 1993. Birds as Monitors of Environmental Change. London: Chapman & Hall. &
- 1988. Effects of agriculture on the breeding ecology of lapwings Vanellus vanellus. J. Appl. Ecol. 25: 487–503.
- 1993. The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland: 1988–1991. London: T. & A.D. Poyser. , &
- 1996. Bird species of conservation concern in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man: revising the Red Data list. RSPB Conserv. Rev. 10: 7–10. , , , , , , &
- 1994. Use of preferred nesting habitat by Stone-curlews Burhinus oedicnemus in relation to vegetation structure. J. Zool. 233: 457–471. &
- 1993. The decline of the corncrake in Britain and Ireland in relation to habitat change. J. Appl. Ecol. 30: 689–695. &
- 1997. A simulation model of the effects of mowing of agricultural grassland on the breeding success of the Corncrake (Crex crex). J. Zool. 243: 81–115. , , &
- 2000. Habitat selection, ranging behaviour and diet of the Stone-curlew Burhinus oedicnemus in southern England. J. Zool. 250: 161–183. , &
- 2000. Broad-scale habitat use of sparrows, finches and buntings in Britain. Die Vogelwelt 120 (Suppl.): 163–173.
- 1998. Large-scale habitat use of some declining British birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 785–799. &
- 1996. Population trends of Jays, Magpies, Jackdaws and Carrion Crows in the United Kingdom. Bird Study 43: 28–37. &
- 1999. Generation of the Headline Indicator of Wild Bird Populations. BTO Research Report 221. Thetford: BTO & RSPB. , , &
- 2002. The population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man: an analysis of conservation concern 2002–07. Br. Birds 95: 410–448. , , , , , , , &
- 2003a. The State of the UK's Birds 2002. Sandy: RSPB, BTO, WWT & JNCC. , , , , , , &
- 2003b. Using birds as indicators of biodiversity. Ornis Hungarica 12–13: 11–24. , , , , &
- 2002. Widespread local House-Sparrow extinctions – Agricultural intensification is blamed for the plummeting populations of these birds. Nature 418: 931–932. , , , , , &
- 1999. The second silent spring? Nature 400: 611–612. , , &
- Kyrkos. 1997. Behavioural and demographic responses of Yellowhammers to variation in agricultural practices. DPhil thesis, University of Oxford.
- 1999. The numbers of nesting Rooks Corvus frugilegus in the United Kingdom in 1996. Bird Study 46: 258–273. &
- 1990. Population Trends in British Breeding Birds. Tring: British Trust for Ornithology. , , &
- 2001. Foraging habitat selection by Yellowhammers (Emberiza citrinella) in agriculturally contrasting regions in lowland England. Biol. Conserv. 101: 197–210. , , , , , &
- 2002. Determinants of patch selection by Yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella foraging in cereal crops. In Boatman, N.D., Carter, N., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V., Stoate, C. & Wilson, J.D. (eds) Birds and Agriculture: 43–50. Warwick: Association of Applied Biologists. , &
- 2004. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain: an appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146: 579–600. .
- 1984. The Stock Dove in Britain, 1930–80. Br. Birds 77: 181–201. &
- 1986. Farming and Birds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 1999. Long-term changes in over-winter survival rates explain the decline of reed buntings Emberiza schoeniclus in Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 36: 798–811. , &
- 2001. Countryside stewardship delivers Cirl Buntings (Emberiza cirlus) in Devon, UK. Biol. Conserv. 101: 361–373. , , &
- 1986. The Partridge: Pesticides, Predation and Conservation. London: Collins.
- 1986. Pesticide use on cereal crops and changes in the abundance of butterflies on arable farmland in England. Biol. Conserv. 36: 71–82. &
- 2003. The Breeding Bird Survey 2002. BTO Research Report 334. Thetford: BTO. , &
- 1990. Effects of agricultural change on nesting lapwings vanellus vanellus on farmland. Bird Study 37: 115–128.
- 1998. Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Birds Census indices. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 24–43. , , , , &
- 1999. Temporal variation in the annual survival rates of six granivorous birds with contrasting population trends. Ibis 141: 621–636. , &
- 2000. Changes in plant and arthropod biodiversity on lowland farmland: an overview. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 26–35. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. &
- 2001. The status of breeding Barn Owls in the United Kingdom 1995–97. Bird Study 48: 23–37. , &
- 1994. Birds in Europe: Their Conservation Status. Cambridge: BirdLife International. &
- 2004. Changes in breeding wader populations on lowland wet grasslands in England and Wales: a review of causes and potential solutions. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 32–40. , &
- 2005. Changes in the numbers of breeding waders on lowland wet grasslands in England and Wales between 1982 and 2002. Bird Study in press. , , , , , &