Swards and structure: the interactions between farming practices and bird food resources in lowland grasslands
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 108–114, November 2004
How to Cite
MCCRACKEN, D. I. and TALLOWIN, J. R. (2004), Swards and structure: the interactions between farming practices and bird food resources in lowland grasslands. Ibis, 146: 108–114. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00360.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 1999. Polyphenols and agriculture: beneficial effects of proanthocyanidins in forages. Agri. Ecosyst. Environ. 75: 1–12. , &
- 2004. What factors determine where invertebrate-feeding birds forage in dry agricultural grasslands? In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 99–107. , &
- 2001. The effects of flooding lowland wetland grassland on soil macroinvertebrate prey of breeding waders. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 320–338. , &
- 2004. Insects as food for farmland birds: is there a problem? In Van Emden, H.F. & Rothschild, M. (eds) Insects and Bird Interactions: 37–50. Andover: Intercept.
- 2000. The feeding value of grass and grass products. In Hopkins, A. (ed.) Grass its Production and Utilization, 3rd edn: 140–195. Oxford: Blackwell Science. , &
- 1991. Insect fauna and grassland birds. In Curtis, D.J., Bignal, E.M. & Curtis, M.A. (eds) Birds and Pastoral Agriculture in Europe: 97–101. Argyll: Scottish Chough Study Group and Peterborough: Joint Nature Conservation Committee.
- 1990. Feeding ecology of charadriifrom chicks in agricultural grassland. Ardea 79: 31–44. , , &
- 2002. Linking agricultural practice to insect and bird populations: a historical study over three decades. J. Appl. Ecol. 39: 673–687. , , &
- 2003. Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 182–188. , &
- 2001. Comment: future directions in agriculture policy and nature conservation. Br. Wildlife 13: 16–20. , &
- 1994. Effects of habitat type and grassland management practices on the body size and distribution of carabid beetles. Pedobiologia 38: 502–512. , , &
- 2004. Testing solutions in grass-dominated landscapes: a review of current research. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 163–170. , &
- 2001. Contrasting patterns of change in the distribution and abundance of farmland birds in relation to farming system in lowland Britain. Global Ecol. Biogeogr. 10: 399–409. &
- in press. Comparing the effects of farming practices on ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) and spider (Araneae) assemblages on Scottish farmland. Biodivers. Conserv. in press:. , , , , , , , &
- 1994. Grassland Invertebrates. London: Chapman & Hall.
- Defra. 2002. The Digest of Agricultural Census Statistics, United Kingdom. London: The Stationery Office.
- 1988. Water deficiency and excess in grassland: the implications for grass production and for the efficient use of N. In Wilkins, R.J. (ed.) Nitrogen and Water Use by Grassland: 24–41. North Wyke, Devon: IGER.
- 1996. Comparative Plant Ecology: a Functional Approach to Common British Species. London: Chapman & Hall. , &
- 2001. Effects of varying rates of autumn fertiliser applications to pastures in eastern England on feeding sites selection by Brent Geese, Branta b. bernicla. Agri. Ecosyst. Environ. 86: 203–209. &
- 2001. Foraging behaviour of Brent Geese, Branta b. bernicla, on grasslands: effects of sward length and nitrogen content. Oecologia 127: 97–104. , &
- 2004. Developing grassland conservation headlands: response of carabid assemblage to different cutting regimes in a silage field. Agri. Ecosyst. Environ. 102: 263–277. , , &
- 2004. The impact of agriculture and some solutions for arthropods and birds. In Van Emden, H.F. & Rothschild, M. (eds) Insects and Bird Interactions: 51–73. Andover: Intercept.
- 1985. South-west England grassland survey 1983. 1. Age structure and sward composition of permanent and arable grassland and their relation to manageability, fertilizer nitrogen and other management features. Grass Forage Sci. 40: 349–359. , , &
- 1993. The potential for avermectins to affect wildlife. Vet. Parasitol. 48: 273–280.
- 1998. Applying the results of ecological studies to land-use policies and practices. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 961–967. &
- 1995. Factors affecting the size of leatherjacket (Diptera: Tipulidae) populations in pastures in the west of Scotland. Appl. Soil Ecol. 2: 203–213. , &
- 2000. Biodiversity and landscape interactions on Scottish farmland. In Clare, T. & Howard, D. (eds) Quantitative Approaches to Landscape Ecology: 97–106. Bangor: International Association for Landscape Ecology (UK Region). , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Productivity and profitability: the effects of farming practices on the prey of insectivorous birds. In Van Emden, H.F. & Rothschild, M. (eds) Insects and Bird Interactions: 75–87. Andover: Intercept. , , &
- 1999. Condensed tannins and gastro-intestinal parasites in sheep. Proc. New Zeal. Grassl. Assoc. 61: 57–61. , &
- 2000. The effects of structure and its dynamics on the ecology and conservation of arthropods in British grasslands. Biol. Conserv. 95: 129–142.
- 2002. Starling foraging success in relation to agricultural land-use. Ecography 25: 363–371. , &
- 2000. The principles of pasture growth and utilization. In Hopkins, A. (ed.) Grass its Production and Utilization, 3rd edn: 31–89. Oxford: Blackwell Science. &
- 2000. Habitat characteristics affecting use of lowland agricultural grassland by birds in winter. Biol. Conserv. 95: 279–294. , , , , &
- 1988. The extent of agricultural field drainage in England and Wales 1971–80. Trans. Inst. Br. Geogr. 13: 19–28. &
- 2001. The importance of arable habitat for farmland birds in grassland landscapes. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 1059–1069. , &
- 2004. Habitat use by seed-eating birds: a scale-dependent approach. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 87–98. , , &
- 1992. British Plant Communities, Vol. 3. Grasslands and Montane Communities. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 1990. The influence of management on food size in the menu of insectivorous birds. Proc. Exp. Appl. Entomol. 1: 69–74.
- 2000. Agricultural land-use and the spatial distribution of granivorous lowland farmland birds. Ecography 23: 702–719. , , &
- 1994. Effects of fertilizers on plant species composition and conservation interest of UK grassland. In Haggar, R.J. & Peel, S. (eds) Grassland Management and Nature Conservation: 64–73. Reading: British Grassland Society.
- 2001. Changes in lowland grassland management: implications for invertebrates and birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 647–664. , , , , , &
- 2000. Diversity of butterflies in the agricultural landscape: the role of farming system and landscape heterogeneity. Ecography 23: 743–750. , &
- 1999. A review of the abundance and diversity of invertebrates and plant foods of granivorous birds in northern Europe in relation to agricultural change. Agri. Ecosyst. Environ. 75: 13–30. , , , &
- 2004. Changes in breeding wader populations on lowland wet grasslands in England and Wales: a review of causes and potential solutions. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 32–40. , &