Present address: School of Forest Resources, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, State College, PA 16802, USA
Conservation management of Lapwing Vanellus vanellus on lowland arable farmland in the UK
Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 41–49, November 2004
How to Cite
SHELDON, R., BOLTON, M., GILLINGS, S. and WILSON, A. (2004), Conservation management of Lapwing Vanellus vanellus on lowland arable farmland in the UK. Ibis, 146: 41–49. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00365.x
- Issue online: 16 NOV 2004
- Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2004
- 2000. From science to recovery: four case studies of how research has been translated into conservation action in the UK. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 43–54. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , &
- 2002. Grassland nature reserves for breeding wading birds in England and the implications for the ESA agri-environment scheme. Biol. Conserv. 106: 279–291. &
- 2001. Breeding Birds in the Wider Countryside: Their Conservation Status 2000. BTO Research Report no. 252. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1990. The roles of predation, food and agricultural practice in determining the breeding success of the lapwing (Vanellus vanellus) on upland grasslands. J. Anim. Ecol. 59: 915–929.
- 1991. Feeding ecology of Charadriiform chicks in agricultural grassland. Ardea 79: 31–43. , , &
- 1993. Habitat selection by monogamous and polygamous Lapwings on farmland – the importance of foraging habitats and suitable nest sites. Ardea 81: 99–105.
- 1996. Predation on artificial, solitary and aggregated wader nests on farmland. Oecologia 107: 343–346.
- 1992. Hatching success of lapwings on farmland: differences between habitats and colonies of different sizes. J. Anim. Ecol. 61: 469–476. , &
- 1995. Trade-offs in nest site selection in coastal populations of Lapwings Vanellus vanellus. Ibis 137: 550–558. &
- 1999. Modelling the survival of British Lapwings Vanellus vanellus using ring-recovery data and weather co-variates. Bird Study 46 (Suppl.): S5–S13. , , &
- 2000. Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 771–788. , , , &
- 1996. Biology and Ecology of Earthworms, 3rd edn. London: Chapman & Hall. &
- 1985. The exclusion of avian predators from aggregations of nesting Lapwings (Vanellus vanellus). Anim. Behav. 33: 308–314.
- 1995. Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conserv. Biol. 9: 1425–1441. , , , , , &
- 1988. Effects of agriculture on the breeding ecology of Lapwings Vanellus vanellus. J. Appl. Ecol. 25: 487–503.
- 1989. Arrival and habitat use by Lapwings Vanellus vanellus in the early breeding season. Ibis 131: 377–388.
- 1984. Habitats and distribution of waders breeding on Scottish agricultural land. Scottish Birds 13: 98–107. , &
- 1996. Population trends of breeding birds in the United Kingdom since 1800. Br. Birds 89: 291–305. , &
- 2003a. Plugging the gaps – winter studies of Eurasian Golden Plovers and Northern Lapwings. Wader Study Group Bull. 100: 25–30.
- 2003b. Diurnal and nocturnal ecology of Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria and Lapwings Vanellus vanellus wintering on arable farmland. PhD Thesis, University of East Anglia, Norwich.
- 1975. Predation on birds nests in relation to antipredator aggression and nest density: an experimental study. Oikos 26: 117–120. , , &
- 2002. Population estimates, trends and habitat associations of breeding Lapwing Vanellus vanellus, Curlew Numenius arquata and Snipe Gallinago gallinago in Northern Ireland in 1999. Bird Study 49: 17–25. , , &
- 1974. Length of the pre-laying period in the lapwing Vanellus vanellus in relation to its food resources. Ornis Scand. 5: 1–4.
- 1996. The Historical Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland: 1875–1900. London: T. & A.D. Poyser.
- 1994. Lapwing Vanellus Vanellus populations in relation to agricultural change: a review. In Tucker, G.M., Davies, S.M. & Fuller, R.J. (eds) The Ecology, Conservation of Lapwings Vanellus vanellus: 1–33. Peterborough: Joint Nature Conservation Committee. , &
- 1986. The Atlas of Wintering Birds in Britain and Ireland. Calton: T. & A.D. Poyser.
- 1999. The effects of intensive agriculture on the breeding ecology of the Lapwing Vanellus vanellus. PhD thesis, Liverpool John Moores University.
- 2000. Habitat models of bird species’ distribution: an aid to the management of coastal grazing marshes. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 706–727. , , , , , &
- 1996. The numbers of breeding waders in lowland Scotland. Scottish Birds 18: 231–241.
- 2000. Factors affecting breeding wader populations on upland enclosed farmland in northern Britain. PhD thesis, Edinburgh University.
- 1986. Farming and Birds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 2002. Changes in breeding wader numbers on Scottish farmed land during the 1990s. Scottish Birds 23: 10–21. , &
- 1992. Breeding wader populations in Northern Ireland, 1985–87. Irish Birds 4: 497–518. &
- 1994. Annual and long-term variation in the survival rates of British lapwings Vanellus vanellus. J. Anim. Ecol. 63: 60–70. , &
- 2001. Countryside Stewardship delivers Cirl Buntings (Emberiza cirlus) in Devon, UK. Biol. Conserv. 101: 361–373. , , &
- 1996. The effects of traffic on the density of breeding birds in Dutch agricultural grasslands. Biol. Conserv. 75: 255–260. , &
- 2002. Factors affecting the distribution, abundance and chick survival of the Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus). PhD thesis, HarperAdams University College.
- 1990. Effects of agricultural change on nesting Lapwings Vanellus vanellus in England and Wales. Bird Study 37: 115–127.
- 1991. The numbers and distribution of Lapwing Vanellus vanellus nesting in England and Wales in 1987. Bird Study 38: 20–37. &
- 1998. Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Birds Census indices. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 24–43. , , , , &
- 2004. Policy into practice: the development and delivery of agri-environment schemes and supporting advice in England. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery.Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 250–258. , &
- 1992. Effects of agricultural practices on field use by invertebrate-feeding birds in winter. J. Appl. Ecol. 29: 779–790.
- 1999. Dorset Farmland Bird Survey 1999 . Unpublished Report. Sandy: Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. , &
- 1996. The Diet of Bird Species of Lowland Farmland: a Literature Review. Report to the Department of the Environment. London: Defra. , &
- 2001. Numbers and distribution of Northern Lapwings Vanellus vanellus breeding in England and Wales in 1998. Bird Study 48: 2–17. , &
- 2004. Changes in breeding wader populations on lowland wet grasslands in England and Wales: a review of causes and potential solutions. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery.Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 32–40. , &