A blueprint for the countryside
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
Volume 146, Issue Supplement s2, pages 230–238, November 2004
How to Cite
SUTHERLAND, W. J. (2004), A blueprint for the countryside. Ibis, 146: 230–238. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2004.00369.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2004
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2004
- 1997. Watershed protection for New York City's supply. J. Am. Waterworks Assess. 89: 75–88. , , , , , &
- 2002. Restoring North American Birds: Lessons from Landscape Ecology. Yale: Yale University Press.
- 2004. Five-year evaluation of the impact of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme on birds. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery.Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 171–180. , , &
- 1994. North south trade and the global environment. Am. Econ. Rev. 84: 851–874.
- 2002. Farming and food, a Sustainable Future. Report of the Policy Commission on the Future of Farming and Food. London: Defra.
- 2003. A novel approach to the use of genetically modified herbicide tolerant crops for environmental benefit. Proc. Roy Soc. Lond. B 270: 335–340. , , , , , , &
- 2000. Analysis of population trends for farmland birds using generalized additive models. Ecology 81: 1970–1984. , , , &
- 2000. Genetically modified crops and farmland biodiversity. Science 289: 1481–1482. &
- 2004. Changes in abundance of farmland birds in relation to intensification of arable agriculture in Denmark. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 427–439.
- 2004. Amelioration of biodiversity impacts of GM technology: predicting transient versus long-term effects. Proc. Royal Soc. B. 271: 325–331. , , &
- 2002. Importance of farmland bird habitats for conservation of plant species. Conserv. Biol. 16: 399–412. , &
- 2001. Beyond toxicity. Human health and the natural environment. Am. J. Prev. Med. 20: 47–53.
- 2003. How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 947–969. &
- 1981. Introduction. In Mercer, R. (ed.) Farming Practice in British Prehistory: 9–26. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- 1982. A prison environment's effect on health case service demands. J. Environ. Systems 11: 17–34.
- National Audit Office. 2001. Tackling Obesity in the England. London: The Stationary Office.
- National Rivers Authority. 1995. A Guide to the Understanding and Management of Saltmarshes. London: National Rivers Authority.
- 2004. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain. An appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146: 579–600. .
- 2002. Agri-Culture. Reconnecting People, Land and Nature. London: Earthscan.
- 2003. Green Exercise: Complementary Roles of Nature, Exercise and Diet in Physical and Emotional Well-Being and Implication for Public Health. CES Occasional Paper: 2003–2001. University of Essex. , , &
- 1986. The History of the Countryside. London: Dent.
- 2002. Changes in arable farming and biodiversity in Great Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 39: 157–176. &
- 2003. Birds, Scythes and Combines. a History of Birds and Agricultural Change. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2004. Policy into practice: the development and delivery of agri-environment schemes and supporting advice in England. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery.Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 250–258. , &
- 2002. Rick Stein's Food Heroes. London: BBC Consumer Publishing.
- 2003. Rick Stein's Guide to the Food Heroes of Britain. London: BBC Consumer Publishing.
- 2004. Rick Stein's Food Heroes: Another Helping. London: BBC Consumer Publishing.
- 2003. Predicting the response of farmland birds to changing food supplies. J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 970–983. , , &
- 2002. Restoring a sustainable countryside. Trends Ecol. Evol 17: 148–150.
- The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol in press. , , & in press.
- 2002. A review of natural vegetation openness in north-western Europe. Biol. Conserv. 104: 133–148.
- 1984. View through a window may influence recovery from surgery. Science 224: 420–421.
- 2000. Grazing Ecology and Forest History. Wallingford: CABI Publishing.
- 2000. Predictions of biodiversity response to genetically modified herbicide-tolerant crops. Science 289: 1554–1557. , , &
- 2002. Trade v environment. Trends Ecol. Evol 17: 341–344. , &