The effect of avoidance rates on bird mortality predictions made by wind turbine collision risk models
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2006
© 2006 British Ornithologists' Union
Special Issue: Wind, Fire and Water: Renewable Energy and Birds
Volume 148, Issue Supplement s1, pages 198–202, March 2006
How to Cite
CHAMBERLAIN, D. E., REHFISCH, M. R., FOX, A. D., DESHOLM, MARK. and ANTHONY, S. J. (2006), The effect of avoidance rates on bird mortality predictions made by wind turbine collision risk models. Ibis, 148: 198–202. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2006.00507.x
- Issue published online: 27 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2006
- 2005. Developing field and analytical methods to assess avian collision risk at wind farms. In De Lucas, M., Janss, G. & Ferrer, M. (eds) Birds and Wind Power. Barcelona, Spain: Lynx Edicions, in press. , &
- 2004. Behavioural and environmental correlates of soaring bird mortality at on-shore wind turbines. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 72–81. &
- 2005. Appraisal of Scottish Natural Heritage's Wind Farm Collision Risk Model and its Application. BTO Research Report 401. Thetford, UK: British Trust for Ornithology. , , , &
- 2003. Thermal Animal Detection System (TADS): development of a method for estimating collision frequency of migrating birds at offshore wind turbines. NERI Technical Report 440. Rønde, Denmark: National Environmental Research Institute.
- 2006. Remote techniques for counting and estimating the number of bird-wind turbine collisions at sea: a review. In Wind, Fire and Water: Renewable Energy and Birds. Ibis 148 (Suppl. 1): 76–89. , , &
- 2005. Avian collision risk at an offshore wind farm. Biology Letters 1: 296–298. &
- 2006. Information needs to support environmental impact assessment of the effects of European marine offshore wind farms on birds. In Wind, Fire and Water: Renewable Energy and Birds. Ibis 148 (Suppl. 1): 129–144. , , , &
- Belser. 1999. The behavioral responses of migrating birds to different lighting systems on tall towers. In: Transcripts of Proceedings of Conference on Avian Mortality at Communication Towers, 119th meeting of the American Ornithologists" Union. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. Available at: http://www.towerhill.com/workshop/proceedings/html/pan4.html &
- 2002. The Potential Ornithological Impact of the Proposed Kentish Flats Offshore Wind farm. Ornithological Technical Addendum. Report to GREP UK Marine Ltd. Edinburgh, UK: Environmentally Sustainable Systems. , , &
- 2004. Investigations of Birds During Construction and Operation of Nysted Offshore Wind Farm at Rødsand – Annual status report 2003. Report commissioned by Energi E2 A/S. Roskilde, Denmark: National Environmental Research Institute. , , , &
- 2003. Wind farms and Birds: An analysis of the effects of wind farms on birds. Guidance on environmental assessment criteria and site selection issues. BirdLife International Report to the Council of Europe on behalf of the Bern Convention. Sandy, UK: RSPB. &
- 2004. Proposed Wind Farms at Ben Aketil Edinbane, a Quantitative Collision Risk Model for Golden Eagle. NRL Report. Isle of Islay, UK: Natural Research Ltd.
- 2000. The ABCs of avoiding bird collisions at communication towers: the next steps. In Proceedings of the Avian Interactions Workshop, December 2, 1999. Charleston, US: Electric Power. Research Institute. Available at: migratorybirds.fws.gov/issues/towers/abcs.html
- 1999. Continuation of Bird Studies at Blyth Harbour Wind Farm and the Implications for Offshore Wind Farms. DTI contract ETSU W/13/00485/00/00. Border Wind Ltd. , &
- 2004. On nature conservation issues. Main Appendices. NRL5/3. In Application to the Secretary of State for Trade andIndustry for consent & deemed planning permission for a 78M.W. wind farm on land at Little Cheyne Court, Lydd, Kent. DTI reference GDBC/003/00001/C.
- 2005. Birds and wind farms: what are the real issues? Br. Birds 98: 194–204.
- 1996. The Effects of Wind Turbines on the Bird Population at Blyth Harbour. DTI contract ETSU W/13/00394/REPORT. , &
- 2003. Bird Risk Behaviours and Fatalities at the Altamont Pass Wind Resource Area. Report to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , &
- 1996. A mathematical model of bird collisions with wind turbine rotors. J. Solar Energy Engineering 118: 253–262.
- 2004. Modelling the effects of persecution on the population dynamics of golden eagles in Scotland. Biol. Conservation 119: 319–333. , , &
- 1992. The Impact of the Sep Wind Park Near Oosterblerum (Fr.), the Netherlands, on Birds, 1: Collision Victims. RIN report no. 92/2.