Birds in willow short-rotation coppice compared to other arable crops in central England and a review of bird census data from energy crops in the UK
Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2006
© 2006 British Ornithologists' Union
Special Issue: Wind, Fire and Water: Renewable Energy and Birds
Volume 148, Issue Supplement s1, pages 184–197, March 2006
How to Cite
SAGE, R., CUNNINGHAM, M. and BOATMAN, N. (2006), Birds in willow short-rotation coppice compared to other arable crops in central England and a review of bird census data from energy crops in the UK. Ibis, 148: 184–197. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2006.00522.x
- Issue online: 27 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 27 MAR 2006
- Anon. 1999. Quality of Life Counts. Indicators for a Strategy for Sustainable Development for the United Kingdom: a Baseline Assessment. HMSO, London.
- Anon. 2000. Assessment of the visual impact of SRC plantations. ETSU B/W2/00575/REPORT. Oxford: ETSU.
- Anon. 2005. Single Payment Scheme – Information for Farmers and Growers in England February 2005 Update. Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs PB 10525. HMSO, London.
- 1999. Establishment of Short Rotation Coppice. Forestry Commission Practice Note. Edinburgh: Forestry Commision.
- 1983. The influence of ditch and hedgerow structure, length of hedgerow and area of woodland and garden on bird numbers on farmland. J. Appl. Ecol. 20: 731–750.
- 1992. Bird Census Techniques. London: Academic Press. , &
- 1999. Ecological Assessment of Energy Coppice. Report B/W5/00216/00/REPORT. Oxford: ETSU. &
- CSL. 2003. Audit of Bioenergy crop trial sites. CTD 0204. HMSO, London.
- 2004. The Ecology of Short Rotation Coppice Crops – ARBRE Monitoring. B/U1/00727/00/REPORT p. 156. Oxford: ETSU. , , &
- 2002. Farming and Food, a Sustainable Future. Report of the Policy Commission on the Future of Farming and Food. HMSO, London.
- Department of the Environment. 1995. Biodiversity: the UK Steering Group Report. HMSO, London.
- 2000. The importance of cereal fields to breeding and wintering skylarks Alauda arvensis in the UK. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A., eds. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: pp. 43–54. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. &
- DTI. 1999. Short Rotation Coppice for energy production – Good Practice Guidelines . HMSO, London.
- 1994. Habitat selection of Cirl Buntings Emberiza cirlus wintering in Britain. Bird Study 41: 81–87. &
- Forest Research. 2005. Grants for Short Rotation Coppice. At: http://www.forestry.gov.uk/arcsite/innfd-5jpj24 .
- 2000. Relationships between recent changes in lowland British agriculture and farmland bird populations: an overview. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A., eds. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: pp. 5–16. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union.
- 1992. Distribution of breeding songbirds in Bradfield Woods, Suffolk, in relation to vegetation and coppice management. Bird Study 39: 73–88. &
- 2004. The relevance of non-farmland habitats, uncropped areas and habitat diversity to the conservation of farmland birds. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 22–31. , &
- 1995. Woodland and scrub. In Managing Habitats for Conservation (eds W. J.Sutherland & D. A.Hill), pp. 327–361. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 1990. Energy Foresting in Agricultural Areas and Changes in the Avifauna. Proceedings of the Sixth Nordic Congress of Ornithology, pp. 17–20. Roros, Norway.
- 1994. Bird fauna of cultivated energy shrub forests at different heights. Biomass Bioenergy 6: 49–52.
- 1994. The distribution of passerine birds in hedgerows during the breeding season in relation to characteristics of the hedgerow and adjacent farmland. J. Appl. Ecol. 31: 677–692. , &
- 2004. The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II. Road Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 1–13. , &
- 2002. The population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man: an analysis of conservation concern 2002–07. Br. Birds 95: 410–450. , , , , , , , &
- 2000. Responses of farmland birds to set-aside and its management. In: Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A., eds. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: pp. 69–76. Tring: British Ornithologists Union. &
- 1990. Bird communities of two short rotation forestry plantations on cutover peatland. Irish Birds 4: 169–180.
- 1984. The number of species of insects associated with British trees: a re-analysis. J. Anim Ecol. 53: 455–478. &
- 1992. Birds on Lowland Farms. London: HMSO.
- 1998. Population Dynamics of Melampsora Rusts and Disease Control. in Renewable Energy Willow Plantations. Monitoring Rust Variation for Successful Breeding and Improvement of SRC Energy Willows. Report B/W6/00508/REPORT. Oxford: ETSU. , &
- 1998. The ARBRE project: progress achieved. Biomass Bioenergy 15 (3): 213–218. , &
- 1986. The Partridge. Pesticides, Predation and Conservation. London: Collins.
- 1969. Nesting habitat of Reed and Marsh Warblers. Bird Study 16: 130–131.
- RCEP. 2004. Biomass as a Renewable Energy Source. London: Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution.
- 1993. Public Perceptions of Short Rotation Coppice. Report B/W5/00340/REPORT. Oxford: ETSU.
- 1995. Factors affecting wild plant communities occupying short rotation coppice crops on farmland in the UK and in Eire. Proc. Brighton Crop Protection Conference 1995 – Role Weed Control. Land Use Change 7D: 980–985.
- 1998. Short rotation coppice for energy – towards ecological guidelines. Biomass Bioenergy 15: 39–47.
- 1996. Factors affecting songbird communities using new short rotation coppice habitats in spring. Bird Study 43: 201–213. &
- 1994. Enhancing the Conservation Value of Short Rotation Coppice – Phase 1, the Identification of Wildlife Conservation Potential. Report B/W5/00277/REPORT. Oxford: ETSU. , &
- 1997. Invertebrates in the canopy of willow and poplar short rotation coppices. Aspects Appl. Biol. 49: 105–111. &
- 1998. Integrated Crop Management of SRC Plantations to Maximise Crop Value, Wildlife Benefits and Other Added Value Opportunities. Report B/W2/00400/00/REPORT Oxford: ETSU. &
- 2005. The effects of energy grass plantations on biodiversity. Annual Report. DTI B/CR/00782/00/00. &
- 1998. Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Birds Census indices. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 24–43. , , , , &
- 2004. Policy into practice: the development and delivery of agri-environment schemes and supporting advice in England. In Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II. Road Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 250–258. , &
- SPSS Inc. 1999. Sysytat 9. Illinois: SPSS Inc.
- 1999. Poplar and Willow Varieties for Short Rotation Coppice. Forestry Commission Information Note 17. Edinburgh: Forestry Commision. &
- 1978. The breeding bird community of willow scrub at Leighton Moss, Lancashire. Bird Study 25: 239–244.