Visitor patterns on southern heaths: a review of visitor access patterns to heathlands in the UK and the relevance to Annex I bird species
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s1, pages 112–119, March 2007
How to Cite
UNDERHILL-DAY, J. C. and LILEY, D. (2007), Visitor patterns on southern heaths: a review of visitor access patterns to heathlands in the UK and the relevance to Annex I bird species. Ibis, 149: 112–119. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00641.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Received 9 January 2004; revision accepted 8 August 2005.
- 1990. Moorland Recreation and Wildlife. Bakewell, UK: Peak Park Joint Planning Board.
- Atlantic Consultants. 1998. Repeat Attitude Survey of the Value of Heathlands. Report to English Nature. Truro, UK: Atlantic Consultants.
- Atlantic Consultants. 2003. Public Perceptions of Heathland in Dorset. Report to the Urban Heaths Partnership. Truro, UK: Atlantic Consultants.
- 2003. Getting the facts – Dog walking and visitor number surveys at Burnham Beeches and their implications for the management process. Countryside Recreation 11: 16–19.
- 2007. Political and social drivers for access to the countryside: the need for research on birds and recreational disturbance. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 3–8.
- 1977. Ecology of the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata (Boddeart) in relation to its conservation in Britain. PhD thesis. UK: Council for National Academic Awards.
- Visitor Access Patterns on the Dorset Heathlands. Wareham, UK: English Nature. , , & in press.
- Crest Nicholson. 2004. Chobham Visitor Survey. Weybridge, UK: Crest Nicholson.
- 1988. Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats, on-the-Spot Appraisal of the Dorset Heathlands. Wageningen: IFNR.
- 1996. The Dartford Warbler in the United Kingdom in 1994. Br. Birds. 89: 203–212. &
- 2000. Heathlands in an urban setting – effects of urban development on the heathlands of south-east Dorset. Br. Wildlife 11: 229–237.
- 1999. Predicting the consequences of human disturbance, predation and sea level rise for ringed plover population size. PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
- 2002. Urban Development Adjacent to Heathland Sites in Dorset the Effect on the Density and Settlement Patterns of Annex I Bird Species. English Nature Research Reports no. 463. Peterborough, UK: English Nature. &
- 2003. The impact of urban development and human disturbance on the numbers of nightjar Caprimulgus europaeaus on heathlands in Dorset, England. Biol. Conserv. 114: 219–230. &
- Visitor Access Patterns on the Thames Basin Heaths. A Report to English Nature. Wareham, UK: Footprint Ecology. , & in press.
- 2007. Predicting the population consequences of human disturbance for Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula: a game theory approach. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 82–94. &
- 2005. Predicting the consequences of human disturbance, urbanisation and fragmentation for a woodlark Lullula arborea population. PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
- MORI. 2004. Bourley and Long Valley Heath Users Survey. London: MORI Social Research Institute.
- 1994. The status and distribution of nightjars Caprimulgus europaeus in Britain in 1992. A report to the British Trust for Ornithology. Bird Study 41: 181–191. , , , &
- 2002. The Impact of Human Disturbance on the Breeding Success of Nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus on Heathlands in South Dorset, England. English Nature Research Reports no. 483. Peterborough, UK: English Nature.
- 2007. Habitat type determines the effects of disturbance on the breeding productivity of the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 16–26. , , , , &
- NFO System Three. 2001. Survey of Behaviour Associated with Access and Informal Recreation. Commissioned report F99ACC08. Battleby, UK: Scottish Natural Heritage.
- 1998. A study of the impact of a statutory approach to extending public access to open countryside on the lowland heath of the Purbeck District. MA dissertation, University of Birmingham.
- 2005. Urban Impacts on Dorset Heathlands: Analysis of the Heathland Visitor Questionnaire Survey and Heathland Fires Incidence Data Sets. English Nature Research Report Number 624. Peterborough, UK: English Nature. &
- RSPB. 2003. Woolmer Forest Visitor Survey. Unpublished. Wareham, UK: RSPB.
- 2000. Cannock Chase AONB Visitor Survey. Keele, UK: Staffordshire University.
- 2001. Survey of Heathland Use: Winfrith and Sandford Heaths. Unpublished. Wareham, UK: RSPB.
- 2005. Dogs, Access and Nature Conservation. English Nature Research Report no. 649. Peterborough, UK: English Nature. , , , &
- 2007. Stone – curlews Burhinus oedicnemus and recreational disturbance: developing a management tool for access. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 37–44. , &
- 1994. Birds in Europe: Their Conservation Status. Birdlife Conservation Series no. 3. Cambridge: Birdlife International. &
- 2000. Halden visitor survey. Dissertation. Exeter University.
- 2005. A Literature Review of Urban Effects on Lowland Heaths and Their Wildlife. English Nature Research Reports no. 623. Peterborough, UK: English Nature.
- University of Portsmouth. 1996. The New Forest Sport and Recreation Study. University of Portsmouth.
- Wealden District Council. 2004. Ashdown Forest Visitor Survey: Preliminary Results. Hailsham, UK: Wealden District Council.
- 2000. The status of breeding woodlarks Lullula arborea in Britain in 1997. Bird Study. 47: 212–224. &
- 1988. The level of recreational pressure on blanket bog in the Peak District, England. Biol. Conserv. 44: 213–227. &