What effects do walkers and dogs have on the distribution and productivity of breeding European Nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus?
Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s1, pages 27–36, March 2007
How to Cite
LANGSTON, R. H. W., LILEY, D., MURISON, G., WOODFIELD, E. and CLARKE, R. T. (2007), What effects do walkers and dogs have on the distribution and productivity of breeding European Nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus?. Ibis, 149: 27–36. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00643.x
- Issue online: 5 MAR 2007
- Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2007
- Received 11 April 2006; revision accepted 4 September 2006.
- 1999. Multi-way comparisons and generalized linear models of nest success: extensions of the Mayfield method. Bird Study 46: S22–S31.
- 1979. Nightjar habitats and breeding in East Anglia. Br. Birds 72: 207–218.
- 1981. A breeding study of Nightjars. Br. Birds 74: 161–169. &
- BirdLife International. 2004. Birds in Europe: Population Estimates, Trends and Conservation Status. Cambridge: BirdLife International (BirdLife Conservation Series no. 12).
- 1985. Handbook of the Birds of Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. the Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. IV. Terns to Woodpeckers. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (ed.)
- 1996. Nightjars – some aspects of their behaviour and conservation. Br. Wildl. 7: 297–304.
- 2002. The population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man: an analysis of conservation concern 2002–07. Br. Birds 95: 410–450. , , , , , , , &
- 2000. Heathlands in an urban setting: effects of urban development on heathlands of south-east Dorset. Br. Wildl. 11: 229–237.
- HMSO. 1998. UK Biodiversity Group Tranche 2 Action Plans – Volume I: Vertebrates and Vascular Plants. Tranche 2, Vol. I 53. London: HMSO.
- 1999. Predicting the consequences of human disturbance, predation and sea-level rise for Ringed Plover population size . PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
- 2001. Access to the Countryside and Bird Conservation: Priorities for Research. Peterborough: English Nature, Research Report 485.
- 2003. The impact of urban development and human disturbance on the numbers of nightjar Caprimulgus europaeus on heathlands in Dorset, England. Biol. Conserv. 114: 219–230. &
- 2001. Effects of human approaches to nests of northern New Zealand dotterels. Biol. Conserv. 98: 233–466. , , &
- Predicting the consequences of recreational disturbance for a woodlark Lullula arborea population on heathlands in southern England. J. Appl. Ecol. in press. , , & in press.
- MapInfo Corporation. 2000. MapInfo Professional 6. New York: MapInfo Corporation.
- 1975. Suggestions for calculating nest success. Wilson Bull. 87: 456–466.
- 1994. The status and distribution of nightjars Caprimulgus europaeus in Britain in 1992. A report to the British Trust for Ornithology. Bird Study 41: 181–191. , , , &
- 2002. The Impact of Human Disturbance on the Breeding Success of Nightjar Caprimulgus Europaeus on Heathlands in South Dorset, England. Peterborough: English Nature, Report no. 483.
- 1982. Effect of predator exclosures on nesting success of Killdeer. J. Field Ornithol. 53: 263–268. &
- 1984a. Behaviour of young Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula and its relationship to growth and survival to reproductive age. Ibis 126: 133–155.
- 1984b. Breeding biology and population dynamics of Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula in Britain and Greenland: nest predation as a possible factor limiting distribution and timing of breeding. J. Zool. Soc. Lond. 202: 83–114.
- 2000. Changes in the heathlands in Dorset, England between 1987 and 1996. Biol. Conserv. 93: 117–125. , , &
- 2000. The Conservation Handbook: Research, Management and Policy. Oxford: Blackwell Science.
- 1996. Ecological Census Techniques: a Handbook. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (ed.)
- 2004. Bird Ecology and Conservation: a Handbook of Techniques. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , & (eds)
- 2007. Stone-curlews Burhinus oedicnemus and recreational disturbance: developing a management tool for access. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 37–44. , &
- 2004. A Study of the Effects on Breeding Nightjars of Disturbance Due to Human Access on Foot to Heathland. Sandy: RSPB, Research Report no. 11. &
- 1990. Recreational disturbance of breeding golden plovers Pluvialis apricaria. Biol. Conserv. 51: 243–262. & .