Testing the effects of recreational disturbance on two upland breeding waders
Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s1, pages 45–55, March 2007
How to Cite
PEARCE-HIGGINS, J. W., FINNEY, S. K., YALDEN, D. W. and LANGSTON, R. H. W. (2007), Testing the effects of recreational disturbance on two upland breeding waders. Ibis, 149: 45–55. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00644.x
- Issue online: 5 MAR 2007
- Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2007
- Received 5 January 2006; revision accepted 11 July 2006.
- 2007. Political and social drivers for access to the countryside: the need for research on birds and recreational disturbance. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 3–8.
- 2007. Managing visitor access to seabird colonies: a spatial simulation and empirical observations. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 102–111.
- 2004. Human disturbance: people as predation-free predators? J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 335–343. &
- 2003. Human disturbance and nesting success of common eiders: interaction between visitors and gulls. Biol. Conserv. 110: 77–83. &
- 1995. Ecotourism and birds in coastal New Jersey: contrasting responses of birds, tourists and managers. Environ. Conserv. 22: 56–65. , &
- 1999. Managing a breeding population of the Hooded Plover Thinornis rubricollis in a high-use recreational environment. Bird Conserv. Internat. 9: 255–270. &
- 2005. The effect of recreational disturbance on an upland breeding bird, the golden plover Pluvialis apricaria. Biol. Conserv. 121: 53–63. , &
- 1996. A method to quantify the effects of human disturbance on animal populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 33: 786–792. , &
- 1990. Factors associated with the breeding distribution of upland birds in the South Pennines, England. J. Appl. Ecol. 27: 562–577. &
- 1992. Examination of the effects of disturbance on birds with reference to its importance in ecological assessments. J. Environ. Manage. 36: 253–286. , , , , &
- 2000. Human disturbance and the chick-rearing ability of African black oystercatchers Haematopus moquini: a geographical perspective. Biol. Conserv. 96: 379–385. , &
- 1999. Predicting the Consequences of Human Disturbance, Predation and Sea-level Rise for Ringed Plover Population Size. PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
- 1997. Effects of human activity on the behaviour of northern New Zealand dotterel Charadrius obscurus chicks. Biol. Conserv. 82: 15–29. , &
- 2001. Effects of human approaches to nests of northern New Zealand dotterels. Biol. Conserv. 98: 233–240. , , &
- MapInfo Corporation. 2000. MapInfo Professional 6. Troy, NY: MapInfo Corporation.
- 2006. Habitat type determines the effects of disturbance on the breeding productivity of the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 16–26. , , , , &
- 2000. Disturbance, habituation and management of waterbird colonies. Waterbirds 23: 312–332.
- 1996. An Analysis of Human Recreational Impacts on the Reproductive Success of American Oystercatchers (Haematopus palliatus): Cape Lookout National Seashire, North Carolina. MS thesis, Duke University, Durham, NC.
- 1980. Population study of Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria using marked birds. Ornis Scand. 11: 179–189.
- 1971. Recovery of inter-black information when block sizes are unequal. Biometrika 58: 545–554. &
- Peak Park Joint Planning Board. 1988. Visitor Survey 1986/87. Bakewell, UK: Peak National Park.
- 1999. The Ecology of Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria in the Peak District. PhD thesis, University of Manchester.
- 1997. The effect of resurfacing the Pennine Way on recreational use of blanket bog in the Peak District National Park, England. Biol. Conserv. 82: 337–343. &
- 2002. Variation in the growth and survival of Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria chicks. Ibis 144: 200–209. &
- 2003. Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria breeding success on a moor managed for shooting Red Grouse Lagopus lagopus. Bird Study 50: 170–177. &
- 2004. Habitat selection, diet, arthropod availability and growth of a moorland wader: the ecology of European Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria chicks. Ibis 146: 335–346. &
- 1976. Observations on the breeding of the Golden Plover in Great Britain. Bird Study 23: 63–116.
- 2003. Evidence that human disturbance reduces Snowy Plover chick survival. J. Field Ornithol. 74: 300–304. , , &
- SAS Institute Inc. 1997. SAS Release 6.12. Cary, NC: SAS Inst.
- 1994. Population sizes and habitat associations of upland breeding birds in the South Pennines, England. Biol. Conserv. 69: 307–314. &
- 2007. Predicting the effect of disturbance on coastal birds. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 73–81. , , &
- 1989. Differential reproductive success in a stressed population of piping plovers in areas of high and low human disturbance. Am. Zool. 29: 42A. &
- 1988. Measuring the accuracy of diagnostic systems. Science 240: 1285–1293.
- 1995. Upland heather moorland in Great Britain: a review of international importance, vegetation change and some objectives for nature conservation. Biol. Conserv. 71: 163–178. , , &
- 2001. Experimental evidence for effects of human disturbance on foraging and parental care in oystercatchers. Biol. Conserv. 101: 375–380. , &
- 2002. Predicting the impacts of disturbance on shorebird mortality using a behaviour-based model. Biol. Conserv. 106: 319–328. , , , , &
- 1999. Evaluation of radiotelemetry methods in measuring habitat choice by young Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria chicks. Bird Study 46: 363–368. , &
- 2000. Notes on night-time activity of Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria chicks in the North Pennines. Wader Study Group Bull. 90: 56–58. , &
- 2001. Habitat selection by Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria chicks. Basic Appl. Ecol. 2: 177–191. , &
- 1997. Density-dependence and winter weather as factors affecting the size of a population of Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria. Bird Study 44: 227–234. &
- 1988. The level of recreational pressure on blanket bog in the Peak District National Park, England. Biol. Conserv. 44: 213–227. &
- 1989a. The sensitivity of breeding Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria to human intruders. Bird Study 36: 49–55. &
- 1989b. Estimating the date of hatching of eggs of Golden Plover. Wader Study Group Bull. 55: 19–20. &
- 1990. Recreational disturbance of breeding Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria. Biol. Conserv. 51: 243–262. &