Integrating multi-scale data to model the relationship between food resources, waterbird distribution and human activities in freshwater systems: preliminary findings and potential uses
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s1, pages 65–72, March 2007
How to Cite
O'CONNELL, M. J., WARD, R. M., ONOUFRIOU, C., WINFIELD, I. J., HARRIS, G., JONES, R., YALLOP, M. L. and BROWN, A. F. (2007), Integrating multi-scale data to model the relationship between food resources, waterbird distribution and human activities in freshwater systems: preliminary findings and potential uses. Ibis, 149: 65–72. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00659.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Received 22 February 2006; revision accepted 10 November 2006.
- 1999. Aquatic Habitat Assessment: Common Methods. Bethesda, MD: American Fisheries Society. &
- 2004a. Behavioural responses to human disturbance: a matter of choice? Anim. Behav. 68: 1065–1069. &
- 2004b. Human disturbance: people as predation-free predators? J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 335–343. &
- 2006. Linking the concept of scale to studies of biological diversity: evolving approaches and tools. Div. Distrib. 12: 229–235. , &
- 1989. Responses of staging greater snow geese to human disturbance. J. Wildl. Manage. 53: 713–719. &
- 1998. Characterisation of submerged vegetation by a sector-scanning sonar. In Alippi, A. & Caneli, G.B. (eds) Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Underwater Acoustics: 159–164. Rome: Italian National Research Council. , &
- Brighton University. 2002. Water-based Sport and Recreation: the Facts. Brighton, UK: Brighton University School of Environment.
- 2005. The Wetland Bird Survey 2003/04: Wildfowl and Wader Counts. Thetford, UK: BTO/WWT/RSPB/JNCC. , , , , &
- 1999. Food intake rates and habitat segregation of Tufted Duck Aythya fuligula and Scaup Aythya marila exploiting Zebra Mussels Dreissena polymorpha. Ardea 87: 15–31.
- Department of Environment, Transport and the Regions. 2000. Waterways for Tomorrow. London: DETR.
- Department of Environment. 1991. Sport and Recreation. Planning Policy. Guidance Note 17. London: HMSO.
- 1982. Foraging and size selection of mussels by the tufted duck, Aythya fuligula. J. Anim. Ecol. 51: 943–956.
- 1985. The effect of disturbance on nocturnal abundance and behaviour of grey herons Ardea cinerea at a fish farm in winter. J. Anim. Ecol. 22: 19–27. &
- 1987. Use of echosounding tracer to estimate above ground biomass of submersed plants in lakes. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 44: 734–735.
- 2001. Does shooting disturbance affect diving ducks wintering on large shallow lakes? A case study on Lough Neagh, Northern Ireland. Biol. Conserv. 98: 315–323. &
- 2002. Hunting disturbance on a large shallow lake: the effectiveness of waterfowl refuges. Ibis 144: 2–8. &
- 2004. Targeting conservation investments in heterogeneous landscapes: a distance-function approach and application to watershed management. Am. J. Agric. Econ. 86: 905–918. Direct Link:
- 1993. Distribution of submersed macrophytes by echo sounder tracings in Lake Saint-Pierre. J. Aquat. Plant. Manage. 31: 232–240. , &
- 2002. Human-caused disturbance stimuli as a form of predation risk. Conserv. Ecol. 6: 11. &
- 1996. A method to quantify the effects of human disturbance on animal populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 33: 786–792. , &
- 1998. The consequences of human disturbance for estuarine birds. RSPB Conserv. Rev. 12: 67–72. , &
- 2006. Critical thresholds of disturbance by people and raptors in foraging wading birds. Biol. Conserv. 127: 88–97. , , &
- 1994. Predation of zebra mussels by diving ducks – an exclosure study. Ecology 75: 521–531. , &
- 2006. Spatial scales, stakeholders and the valuation of ecosystem services. Ecol. Econ. 57: 209–228. , , &
- 1997. Bird disturbance: improving the quality and utility of disturbance research. J. Appl. Ecol. 34: 275–288. , , , , &
- 1992. Cross-scale morphology, geometry, and dynamics of ecosystems. Ecol. Monogr. 62: 447–502.
- 2006. The effects of adjacent land use on wetland species richness and community composition. Wetlands 26: 79–96. , , &
- 2003. An Assessment of the Effect on Over-Wintering Ducks of Recreation at the Wraysbury and Thorpe Park Pits Within the SW London Waterbodies Special Protection Area. WWT Wetlands Advisory Service report to English Nature.
- 2004. Waterbirds and Wetland Recreation Handbook. A Review of Issues and Management Practice. Slimbridge, UK: WWT. , , , &
- 1997. The Cotswold Water Park Biodiversity Action Plan 1997–2007. A report to CWP Joint Committee. &
- 1993. Biomass techniques for monitoring and assessing control of aquatic vegetation. Lake Res. Manage. 7: 141–154.
- 1998a. Experimental refuges for migratory waterfowl in Danish wetlands. I. Baseline assessment of the disturbance effects of recreational activities. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 386–397.
- 1998b. Experimental refuges for migratory waterfowl in Danish wetlands. II. Tests of hunting disturbance effects. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 398–417.
- 2000. Food habits of four diving duck species wintering in seagrass beds, Apalachee Bay, Florida. Sylvia 36: 25–26. &
- 2004. Redheads wintering in Louisiana and Texas have similar diets. Duck Specialist Group Bull. 1: 13–14. &
- 1998. Benthic pharenogam species recognition in side scan sonar images: importance of the sensor direction. In Alippi, A. & Caneli, G.B. (eds) Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Underwater Acoustics: 173–178. Rome: Italian National Research Council. , &
- 2000. Threats to wetlands: implications for research and conservation. Wildfowl 51: 1–15.
- 2002. Research needs in relation to the conservation of biodiversity in the UK. Biol. Conserv. 103: 115–123. &
- 1968. The food and feeding habits of the Pochard. Biol. Conserv. 1: 71–76.
- 2002. Sources and extent of human disturbance to waterbirds in the UK: an analysis of Wetland Bird Survey data, 1995/96–1998/99. Bird Study 49: 205–211. &
- 1998. Digital echo sounder system for characterising vegetation in shallow water environments. In Alippi, A. & Caneli, G.B. (eds) Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Underwater Acoustics: 165–171. Rome: Italian National Research Council. &
- 2002. Evaluation of a digital echo sounder system for detection of submersed aquatic vegetation. Estuaries 25: 133–141. , , , &
- 1966. Utilisation of available foods by diving ducks on Apalachee Bay, Florida. Proc. Annu. Conf. Southeastern Assoc. Game Fish Commissioners 20: 42–50.
- 2002. Seasonal changes in the response of Oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus to human disturbance. J. Avian Biol. 33: 358–365. &
- 1993. Factors affecting feeding distribution of red-breasted geese Branta ruficollis wintering in Romania. Biol. Conserv. 63: 61–65. &
- 1990. Distribution of submergent plant bed bioVolume using acoustic range information. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 47: 805–812. , , , &
- 1984. Some ecological factors affecting winter wildfowl distribution on inland waters in England and Wales: the influence of water-based recreation. J. Appl. Ecol. 21: 41–62. , &
- 2005. Evaluation of alternative interpolation techniques for the mapping of remotely-sensed submersed vegetation abundance. Aquat. Bot. 81: 13–25. , &
- 1990. Recreation on inland lowland waterbodies: does it affect birds? RSPB Conserv. Rev. 4: 63–68.
- 1983. The effects of recreation activities on wintering waterfowl. In Matthews, G. (ed.) Proceedings of a Symposium on the Subject of Wildlife on Man-Made Wetlands: 223 ARC. Great Linford, UK: Wildfowl Centre.
- 2002. Predicting the impacts of disturbance on shorebird mortality using a behaviour-based model. Biol. Conserv. 106: 319–328. , , , , &
- Assessment in two shallow lakes of a hydroacoustic system for surveying aquatic macrophytes and an example of its application. Hydrobiologia, in press. , , , , , &
- 2000. Wetland creation: colonisation and primary production of phytoplankton and submerged macrophytes in hypereutrophic freshwater lagoons. Aquat. Conserv. 10: 305–309. &
- 2004. Waterbird herbivory on a newly created wetland complex: potential implications for site management and habitat creation. Wetlands Ecol. Manage. 12: 395–406. , &