Habitat type determines the effects of disturbance on the breeding productivity of the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata
Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s1, pages 16–26, March 2007
How to Cite
MURISON, G., BULLOCK, J. M., UNDERHILL-DAY, J., LANGSTON, R., BROWN, A. F. and SUTHERLAND, W. J. (2007), Habitat type determines the effects of disturbance on the breeding productivity of the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata. Ibis, 149: 16–26. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00660.x
- Issue online: 5 MAR 2007
- Version of Record online: 5 MAR 2007
- Received 13 February 2006; revision accepted 16 November 2006.
- 1996. Short term behavioural and physiological response of moose Alces alces to military disturbance in Norway. Biol. Conserv. 77: 169–176. , &
- Anon. 19942004. Dorset Bird Reports. Dorset Bird Club.
- 2001. Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. A User's Guide. Unpublished report. Peterborough, UK: English Nature.
- 2007. Political and social drivers for access to the countryside: the need for research on birds and recreational disturbance. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 3–8.
- 2004. Behavioural responses to human disturbance: a matter of choice? Anim. Behav. 68: 1065–1069. &
- 2001. Territory selection by the Dartford warbler (Sylvia undata) in Dorset, England: the role of vegetation type, habitat fragmentation and population size. Biol. Conserv. 101: 217–228. , , , &
- 1977. Dartford Warblers in Britain. PhD thesis, RSPB/Institute of Terrestrial Ecology.
- 1978. Conservation of the Dartford Warbler on English lowland heaths. Biol. Conserv. 13: 299–307.
- 1979a. Foods of the Dartford warbler Sylvia undata on southern English heathland. J. Zool., Lond. 188: 557–576.
- 1979b. Mortality and movements of Dartford Warblers in England. Br. Birds 72: 10–22.
- 1975. Status, habitats and conservation of the Dartford Warbler in England. Br. Birds 68: 177–195. &
- 2000. Bird Census Techniques. London: Academic Press. , , &
- 2000. Geographical separation of two Ulex species at three spatial scales: does competition limit species’ ranges? Ecography 23: 257–271. , , &
- 1995. Ecotourism and birds in coastal New Jersey: contrasting responses of birds, tourists and managers. Environ. Conserv. 22: 56–65. , &
- 1999. A review of human disturbance effects on nesting colonial waterbirds. Waterbirds 221: 68–79. &
- 1992. Territory quality and reproductive success in the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata in Dorset, England. Biol. Conserv. 61: 209–215. &
- 2005. Visitor access patterns on the Dorset heathlands. English Nature Research Report. Peterborough, UK: English Nature. , , &
- ed.) 1992. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. 6. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (
- 2001. Alert distance as an alternative measure of bird tolerance to human disturbance: implications for park design. Environ. Conserv. 28: 263–269. , &
- 2000. Discovering Statistics Using SPSS for Windows. London: Sage Publications.
- 2005. The effect of recreational disturbance on an upland breeding bird, the golden plover Pluvialis apricaria. Biol. Conserv. 121: 53–63. , &
- 2002. Human-caused disturbance stimuli as a form of predation risk. Conserv. Ecol. 6: Article number 11. &
- 1996. The Dartford Warbler in the United Kingdom in 1994. Br. Birds 89: 203–212. &
- 2007. Approaches to measuring the effects of human disturbance on birds. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 9–14.
- 1996. A method to quantify the effects of human disturbance on animal populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 33: 786–792. , &
- 2001. Why behavioural responses may not reflect the population consequences of human disturbance. Biol. Conserv. 97: 265–268. , &
- 1994. Winter recreation and hibernating black bears Ursus americanus. Biol. Conserv. 67: 105–110. &
- 2000. Heathlands in an urban setting – effect of urban development on heathlands of south-east Dorset. Br. Wildl. 11: 229–237.
- 1997. Bird disturbance: improving the quality and utility of disturbance research. J. Appl. Ecol. 34: 275–288. , , , , &
- 1992. Examination of the effects of disturbance on birds with reference to its importance in ecological assessments. J. Environ. Manage. 36: 253–286. , , , , &
- 1999. Predicting the Consequences of Human Disturbance, Predation and Sea-level Rise for Ringed Plover Populations. PhD thesis, University of East Anglia.
- 2001. Urban Development Adjacent to Heathland Sites in Dorset: the Effect on the Density and Settlement Patterns of Annex I Bird Species. Report for public enquiry. Poole: RSPB/CEH. &
- 2007. Predicting the population consequences of human disturbance for Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula: a game theory approach. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 82–94. &
- 2001. Wildlife responses to pedestrians and dogs. Wildl. Soc. Bull. 29: 124–132. , &
- 1962. The heaths of Dorset and their conservation. J. Ecol. 50: 369–391.
- 2004. Exposure to ecotourism reduces survival and affects stress response in hoatzin chicks (Opisthocomus hoazin). Biol. Conserv. 118: 549–558. , &
- 1933. The field habits, and nesting of the Dartford Warbler. The Oologist's Record 13: 51–61.
- 1999. Contexts and possible functions of barking in roe deer. Anim. Behav. 57: 1121–1128. , &
- 1994. The effects of car traffic on breeding bird populations in woodlands. I. Evidence of reduced habitat quality for Willow Warblers (Phylloscopus trochilus) breeding close to a highway. J. Appl. Ecol. 31: 85–94. &
- 1995. The effects of car traffic on breeding bird populations in woodland. IV. Influence of population size on the reduction of density close to a highway. J. Appl. Ecol. 32: 481–491. &
- 1995. The effects of car traffic on breeding bird populations in woodland. III. Reduction in the density in relation to the proximity of main roads. J. Appl. Ecol. 32: 187–202. , , &
- 1996. The effects of traffic on the density of breeding birds in Dutch agricultural grasslands. Biol. Conserv. 75: 255–260. , &
- 1985. Dartford Warblers in 1984 in Britain. Br. Birds 78: 269–280. &
- 2000. Changes on the heathlands in Dorset, England, between 1987 and 1996. Biol. Conserv. 93: 117–125. , , &
- 2004. A new means of presenting the results of logistic regression. Bull. Ecol. Soc. Am. 85: 100–102. , , &
- 1997. Compensatory limits: energy budgets of Brent Geese, Branta bernicla, the influence of human disturbance. J. Ornithol. 138: 387–411. &
- 1998. Scope for strategical ecological assessment of trunk road development in England with respect to potential impacts on lowland heathland, the Dartford warbler (Sylvia undata) and the sand lizard (Lacerta agilis). J. Environ. Manage. 53: 147–163. , , , &
- 2007. Visitor patterns on southern heaths: a review of visitor access patterns to heathlands in the UK and the relevance to Annex I bird species. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 112–119. &
- 1980. An ecological survey of heathlands in the Poole Basin, Dorset, England in 1978. Biol. Conserv. 17: 281–296. &
- 2002. Heart rate and energy expenditure of incubating wandering albatrosses: basal levels, natural variation, and the effects of human disturbance. J. Exp. Biol. 205: 475–483. , , , , &
- 1991. Dartford warblers Sylvia undata, their habitat and conservation in the New Forest, Hampshire, England in 1988. Biol. Conserv. 56: 89–100. &