Predicting the population consequences of human disturbance for Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula: a game theory approach
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s1, pages 82–94, March 2007
How to Cite
LILEY, D. and SUTHERLAND, W. J. (2007), Predicting the population consequences of human disturbance for Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula: a game theory approach. Ibis, 149: 82–94. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00664.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Received 23 January 2006; revision accepted 17 December 2006.
- 1981. Functional aspects of serial monogamy – the Magpie pair-bond in relation to its territorial system. Ardea 69: 145–166.
- 1991. Territory infidelity in the polygynous great reed warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus: the effect of variation on territory attractiveness. J. Anim. Ecol. 60: 857–871. &
- Birdlife International. 2000. Threatened Birds of the World. Barcelona and Cambridge, UK: Lynx Edicions and BirdLife International.
- 1983. The distribution and reproduction of Ringed Plovers breeding coastally and inland in north-west England. Bird Study 30: 222–228.
- 1978. Some factors affecting the laying date, incubation period and breeding success of the Manx shearwater Puffinus puffinus. J. Anim. Ecol. 47: 477–495.
- 1989. Kingfisher. In Newton, I. (Ed.) Lifetime Reproduction in Birds: 107–116. London: Academic Press. &
- 1999. A review of human disturbance effects on nesting colonial waterbirds. Waterbirds 22: 68–79. &
- 1992. Territory quality and reproductive success in the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata in Dorset, England. Biol. Conserv. 61: 209–215. &
- 1992. Dunnock Behaviour and Social Evolution. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1992. Optimization of territory shape in heterogeneous habitats: a field study of the red-capped cardinal Paroaria gularis. J. Anim. Ecol. 61: 411–424.
- 1992. Territory quality, parental effort and reproductive success of oystercatchers Haematopus ostralegus. J. Anim. Ecol. 61: 703–715. , , &
- 1999. Yield of sugar beet in relation to weather and nutrients. Agric. Forest Meteor. 93: 39–51. , , &
- 1997. Territoriality, adult survival, and dispersal in the Checker-throated Antwren in Panama. J. Avian Biol. 28: 103–110. &
- 2002. The population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man: an analysis of conservation concern 2002–2007. Br. Birds 95: 410–450. , , , , , , , &
- 1992. Examination of the effects of disturbance on birds with reference to its importance in ecological assessments. J. Environ. Manage. 36: 253–286. , , , , &
- 1998. Optimal floating and queuing strategies: consequences for density dependence and habitat loss. Am. Nat. 152: 354–366. &
- 2001. Ecological traps in changing environments: ecological and evolutionary consequences of a behaviourally mediated Allee effect. Evol. Ecol. Res. 3: 537–551. &
- 1992. Importance of habitat saturation and territory quality for evolution. Nature 358: 493–495.
- 1988. Effects of territory quality on occupancy, breeding performance and breeding dispersal in Tengmalm's owl. J. Anim. Ecol. 57: 97–108.
- 1971. Territory and breeding density in the great tit, Parus major L. Ecology 52: 2–22.
- 1986. Site fidelity and habitat quality as determinants of settlement pattern in male Painted Buntings. Condor 88: 206–210. &
- 1999. Predicting the Consequences of Human Disturbance, Predation and Sea Level Rise for Ringed Plover Populations. PhD thesis. Norwich: University of East Anglia.
- 2002. Ringed Plover Charadrius hiaticula. In Wernham, C.V., Toms, M.P., Marchant, J.A., Clark, G.M., Siriwardena, G.M. & Baillie, S.R. (eds.) The Migration Atlas: 278–280. London: T. & A.D. Poyser. , &
- 2007. Predicting the consequences of recreational disturbance for a woodlark Lullula arborea population on heathlands in southern England. J. Appl. Ecol. , , &
- 1982. Characteristics of Magpie Pica pica territories of varying duration. Ornis Scand. 13: 94–100.
- 1988. Nest predation and nest site choice in passerine birds in habitat patches of different size: a study of magpies and blackbirds. Oikos 53: 215–221.
- 2007. Habitat type determines the effects of disturbance on the breeding productivity of the Dartford Warbler Sylvia undata. Ibis 149 (Suppl. 1): 16–26. , , , , &
- 1989. Sparrowhawk. In NewtonI. (Ed.) Lifetime Reproduction in Birds: 279–296. London: Academic Press.
- 2000. Disturbance, habituation, and management of waterbird colonies. Waterbirds 23: 312–332.
- 1998. Effects of human disturbance on success of artificial duck nests. J. Wild. Manage. 62: 1142–1146. &
- 1991. Spatial and temporal scales in habitat selection. Am. Nat. 137: 29–49. &
- 1997. Distribution and breeding success of pallid swifts, Apus pallidus, on Mediterranean islands: nest predation by the roof rat, Rattus rattus, and nest site quality. Oikos 80: 78–88. , , , &
- 1987. Territory dynamics in a Sage Sparrow population: are shifts in site-use adaptive? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 21: 351–358. &
- 1984. Breeding biology and population dynamics of Ringed Plovers Charadrius hiaticula in Britain and Greenland: nest predation as a possible factor limiting distribution and timing of breeding. J. Zool. Lond. 202: 83–114.
- 1995. Eastern Bluebirds are attracted to 2-box sites. Wilson Bull. 107: 289–295. &
- 1977. Guide to the Identification and Ageing of Holarctic Waders. Tring: British Trust for Ornithology. , &
- 1991. Sources, sinks and habitat selection: a landscape perspective on population dynamics. Am. Nat. 142: 42–58. &
- 1997. Site-dependent regulation of population size: a new synthesis. Ecology 78: 2025–2042. , &
- 1978. The ‘underworld’ in a territorial sparrow: adaptive strategy for floaters. Am. Nat. 112: 571–582.
- 1989. How fit are floaters – consequences of alternative territorial behaviours in a non-migratory Sparrow. Am. Nat. 133: 830–845. &
- 1996. From Individual Behaviour to Population Ecology. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2006. Predicting the ecological consequences of environmental change: a review of the methods. J. Appl. Ecol. 43: 599–616.
- 2002. Behavioural models of population growth rates: implications for conservation and prediction. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 357: 1273–1284. &
- 1993. Site fidelity in predictable and unpredictable habitats. Evol. Ecol. 7: 533–555.
- 1992. Reproduction of Kentish Plover Charadrius alexandrinus in grasslands and fish-ponds: the habitat mal-assessment hypothesis. Aquila 99: 59–68.
- 2004. Literature Review on the Impact on Bird Populations of Disturbance Due to Human Access on Foot. RSPB Research Report no. 9. Sandy, Bedfordshire: RSPB. &