Understanding population change in migratory songbirds: long-term and experimental studies of Neotropical migrants in breeding and wintering areas
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s2, pages 2–13, November 2007
How to Cite
HOLMES, R. T. (2007), Understanding population change in migratory songbirds: long-term and experimental studies of Neotropical migrants in breeding and wintering areas. Ibis, 149: 2–13. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00685.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2007
- Received 28 June 2006; revision accepted 8 January 2007.
- 2000. Restoring North America's Birds: Lessons from Landscape Ecology. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- 1992. Population limitation in Palearctic-migrant passerines. Ibis 131 (Suppl. 1): 120– 132. &
- 1993. Are declines in North American insectivorous songbirds due to causes on the breeding grounds? Conserv. Biol. 7: 76–86. , &
- 2006. Food supply controls the body condition of a migrant bird wintering in the tropics. Oecologia 149: 22–32. &
- 2002. Nest predators and fragmentation: a review and meta-analysis. Conserv. Biol. 16: 306–318. , &
- 1997. The use of isotope tracers for identifying populations of migratory birds. Oecologia 109: 132–141. , , , , &
- 2003. Combining genetic markers and stable isotopes to reveal population connectivity and migration patterns in a Neotropical migrant, Wilson's warbler (Wilsonia pusilla). Mol. Ecol. 12: 819–830. , , &
- 1985. The evolution of avian migration systems between temperate and tropical regions. Am. Nat. 126: 451–474.
- 1992. Density-dependent clutch size caused by habitat heterogeneity. J. Anim. Ecol. 61: 643–648. , &
- 2005. Habitat occupancy patterns of a forest dwelling songbird: causes and consequences. Can. J. Zool. 83: 1297–1305. &
- 2002. Saving Migrant Birds: Developing Strategies for the Future. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press.
- 1997. Calcium availability limits breeding success of passerines on poor soils. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 279–288. &
- 2002. The population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man: an analysis of conservation concern. Br. Birds 95: 410–448. , , , , , , , &
- 2005. Seasonal matching of habitat quality and fitness in a migratory bird. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272: 2319–2323. , , , &
- 2005. Stable isotopes and the determination of migratory connectivity and seasonal interactions. Auk 122: 1037–1048.
- 1990. The structure of a temperate deciduous forest bird community: variability in time and space. In Keast, A. (Ed.) Biogeography and Ecology of Forest Bird Communities: 121–139. The Hague: SPB Academic Publishers.
- 1996. Habitat-specific demography of breeding black-throated blue warblers (Dendroica caerulescens): implications for population dynamics. J. Anim. Ecol. 65: 183–195. , &
- 1988. Assessing population trends of New Hampshire forest birds: local versus regional patterns. Auk 105: 756–768. &
- 1992. Site fidelity of migratory warblers in temperate breeding and Neotropical wintering areas: implications for population dynamics, habitat selection, and conservation. In Hagan, J.M. & Johnston, D.W. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Neotropical Migrant Landbirds: 563–575. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Press. &
- 2001. Thirty-year bird population trends in an unfragmented temperate deciduous forest: importance of habitat change. Auk 118: 589–610. &
- 1992. Multiple brooding and productivity of a Neotropical migrant, the Black-throated Blue Warbler (Dendroica caerulescens), in an unfragmented temperate forest. Auk 109: 321–333. , , &
- 1989. Population structure, territoriality and overwinter survival of two migrant warbler species in Jamaica. Condor 91: 545–561. , &
- 1986. Bird community dynamics in a temperate deciduous forest: long-term trends at Hubbard Brook. Ecol. Monogr. 56: 201–220. , &
- 1991. Numerical and demographic responses of temperate forest birds to annual fluctuations in their food resources. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 20: 1559–1567. , &
- 1975. Bird community dynamics and energetics in a northern hardwoods ecosystem. J. Anim. Ecol. 44: 175–200. &
- 1996. Habitat selection by American Redstarts along a successional gradient in northern hardwoods forest: evaluation of habitat quality. Auk 113: 875–888.
- 1998. Evidence from a landscape population model of the importance of early successional habitat to the American Redstart. Conserv. Biol. 12: 1377–1389.
- 2001. Effects of food availability on the distribution of migratory warblers among habitats in Jamaica. J. Anim. Ecol. 70: 546–560. &
- 2006. Assessing habitat quality for a migratory songbird wintering in natural and agricultural habitats. Conserv. Biol. 20: 1433–1444. , , &
- 1956. Breeding bird population in relation to succession on the piedmont of Georgia. Ecology 37: 50–62. &
- 2003. Climate and food synchronize regional forest bird abundances. Ecology 84: 3024–3032. , &
- 2006. Stable isotope evidence links breeding geography and migration timing in wood warblers (Parulidae). Auk 123: 431–437.
- 2005. Combining genetic and stable isotope markers to assign migrant songbirds to breeding origins. Ecol. Applic. 15: 1487–1494. , &
- 1954. The Natural Regulation of Animal Numbers. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
- 1973. Wintering warblers in Jamaica. Living Bird 11: 129–153. &
- 1993. Response of early successional vertebrates to historic changes in land use. Conserv. Biol. 7: 866–873.
- 1995. Foraging behavior of American Redstarts (Setophaga ruticilla) in breeding and wintering habitats: implications for relative food availability. Condor 97: 782–791. &
- 2000. The role of behavioral dominance in structuring habitat occupancy of a migrant bird during the non-breeding season. Behav. Ecol. 11: 299–308.
- 1998. Linking winter and summer events in a migratory bird by using stable-carbon isotopes. Science 282: 1884–1886. , &
- 1998. Corticosterone levels as indicators of habitat quality: effects of habitat segregation in a migratory bird during the non-breeding period. Oecologia 116: 284–292. &
- 2001. Consequences of dominance-mediated habitat segregation in a migrant passerine bird during the non-breeding season. Auk 118: 94–106. &
- 1993. Territorial exclusion by a long-distance migrant warbler in Jamaica: a removal experiment with American Redstarts (Setophaga ruticilla). Auk 110: 565–572. , &
- 2001. Fall migration routes, timing and wintering sites of North American Ospreys as determined by satellite telemetry. Condor 103: 715–724. , , &
- 1982. Secondary succession and breeding bird community structure: patterns of resource utilization. Oecologia 55: 208–216.
- 2001. A general model of site-dependent population regulation: population-level regulation without individual-level interactions. Oikos 94: 417–424. , , &
- 1992. What do we know about the future of migrant birds? In Hagan, J.M. & Johnston, D.W. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Neotropical Migrant Landbirds: 579–589. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Press.
- 1994. Population regulation in theory and practice. Ecology 75: 271–287.
- 2004. Factors influencing fecundity in migratory songbirds: is nest predation most important? J. Avian Biol. 35: 487–491. &
- 2005a. To double brood or not? Individual variation in the reproductive effort in Black-throated Blue Warblers (Dendroica caerulescens). Auk 122: 902–914. &
- 2005b. Food limits annual fecundity of a migratory songbird: an experimental study. Ecology 86: 675–681. &
- 1993. Predation and limitation of bird numbers. Curr. Ornithol. 11: 143–198.
- 1998. Population Limitation in Birds. London: Academic Press.
- 2004a. Population limitation in migrants. Ibis 146: 197–226.
- 2004b. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain: an appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146: 579–600.
- 2005. Carry-over effects and habitat quality in migratory populations. Oikos 109: 178–186.
- 2004a. Tracking habitat use of a long-distance migratory bird, the American Redstart Setophaga ruticilla, using stable-carbon isotopes in cellular blood. J. Avian Biol. 36: 164–170. , , &
- 2004b. Tropical winter habitat limits reproductive success on the temperate breeding grounds of a migratory bird. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 59–64. , , , &
- 2004c. Reproductive effort, molting latitude, and feather color in a migratory songbird. Science 306: 2249–2250. , , , &
- 1998. Long-term changes in the abundance of passerines in Britain and Ireland as measured by constant effort mist-netting. Bird Study 45: 257–275. , &
- 1988. Sources, sinks, and population regulation. Am. Nat. 132: 652–661.
- 1991. Sources, sinks, and habitat selection: a landscape perspective on population dynamics. Am. Nat. 137: S50–S66. &
- 1994. Cause and effect in population declines of migratory birds. Auk 111: 652–660. &
- 1992. Is nest predation density dependent? A test using artificial nests. Can. J. Zool. 70: 2498–2500.
- 1990. Effects of removal of red squirrels (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) and Eastern chipmunks (Tamias striatus) on nest predation in a northern hardwoods forest: an experiment with artificial nests. Oikos 57: 375–380. , &
- 2007. Climate effects on caterpillar fluctuations in northern hardwood forests. Can. J. For. Res. in press. , , &
- 1969. An analysis of nesting mortality in birds. Smithsonian Contrib. Zool. 9: 1–48.
- 1989. Population declines in North American birds that migrate to the tropics. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 86: 7658–7662. , , &
- 1995. Regional forest fragmentation and the nesting success of migratory birds. Science 267: 1987–1990. , , , &
- 1992. Results of experimental and natural food reductions for breeding Black-throated Blue Warblers. Ecology 73: 357–372. &
- 2006. Contribution of site-dependence to regulation of population size: evidence and consequences for biological monitoring of populations. Proc. Intern. Ornith. Congr. (Beijing). Acta Zool. Sinica 52 (Suppl.): 457–464. , &
- 1997. Site-dependent regulation of population size: a new synthesis. Ecology 78: 2025–2042. , &
- 2003. Multiple density-dependence mechanisms regulate a migratory bird population during the breeding season. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 270: 2105–2110. , , &
- 2004. The role of species abundance in determining breeding origins of migratory birds with stable isotopes. Ecol. Applic. 14: 1780–1788. &
- 2002. Linking breeding and wintering ranges of a migratory songbird using stable isotopes. Science 295: 591–593. , , , , , &
- 2006. Long-term population declines in Afro-Palearctic migrant birds. Biol. Conserv. 131: 93–105. , , , &
- 2001. The North American Breeding Bird Survey, results and analysis 1966–2000. Online: http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs. , &
- 2003. Nest predation and population declines in Illinois songbirds: a case for mesopredator effects. Conserv. Biol. 17: 1141–1150.
- 1992. Population fluctuations in a long-distance Neotropical migrant: demographic evidence for the importance of breeding season events in the American Redstart. In Hagan, J.M. & Johnston, D.W. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Neotropical Migrant Landbirds: 431–442. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Press. &
- 1995. Summer versus winter limitation of populations: what are the issues and what is the evidence? In Martin, T.E. & Finch, D.M. (eds) Ecology and Management of Neotropical Migratory Birds: a Synthesis and Review of Critical Issues: 85–120. New York: Oxford University Press. &
- 1996. Winter habitat quality, population limitation, and conservation of Neotropical–Nearctic migrant birds. Ecology 72: 36–48. &
- 2005. Does winter food limit populations of migratory birds? In Greenberg, R. & Marra, P.P. (eds) Birds of Two Worlds: Advances in the Ecology and Evolution of Temperate-Tropical Migration Systems: 414–425. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. , &
- 2002. Variation in survivorship of a migratory songbird throughout its annual cycle. J. Anim. Ecol. 71: 296–308. &
- 2005. Long-term demographic trends, limiting factors, and the strength of density dependence in a breeding population of a migratory songbird. In Greenberg, R. & Marra, P.P. (eds) Birds of Two Worlds: Advances in the Ecology and Evolution of Temperate-Tropical Migration Systems: 426–436. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. &
- 2000. Impacts of a global climate cycle on population dynamics of a migratory songbird. Science 288: 2040–2042. , &
- 2004. Experimentally reducing neighbor density affects reproduction and behavior of a migratory songbird. Ecology 85: 2467–2477. , &
- 1989. Population regulation in animals. Symp. Br. Ecol. Soc. 28: 33–42.
- 1998. Depredation rates and predators at artificial bird nests in an unfragmented northern hardwoods forest. J. Wildl. Manage. 62: 529–539. , &
- 2005. Molecular genetic approaches to linking breeding and overwintering areas in five Neotropical migrant passerines. In Greenberg, R. & Marra, P.P. (eds) Birds of Two Worlds: Advances in the Ecology and Evolution of Temperate-Tropical Migration Systems: 222–234. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. , , , , &
- 1992. Habitat selection by breeding Black-throated Blue Warblers at two spatial scales. Ornis Scand. 23: 33–42.
- 1993. Selection of foraging and nesting sites by Black-throated Blue Warblers: their relative influence on habitat choice. Condor 95: 568–579.
- 1985. Effects of changes in tropical environments on the North European avifauna. Ornis Fenn. 62: 56–63.
- 2001. Eggshell characteristics and calcium demands of a migratory bird breeding in two New England forests. Wilson Bull. 113: 94–100. , &
- 2000. Migration routes and differences of migration schedule between adult and young Steller's Sea Eagles Haliaetus pelagicus. Ibis 142: 35–39. , , &
- 2002. Links between worlds: unraveling migratory connectivity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 76–83. , , , &