Habitat selection and foraging behaviour of breeding Eurasian Woodcock Scolopax rusticola: a comparison between contrasting landscapes
Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2007
Volume 149, Issue Supplement s2, pages 234–249, November 2007
How to Cite
HOODLESS, A. N. and HIRONS, G. J. M. (2007), Habitat selection and foraging behaviour of breeding Eurasian Woodcock Scolopax rusticola: a comparison between contrasting landscapes. Ibis, 149: 234–249. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2007.00725.x
- Issue online: 23 NOV 2007
- Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2007
- Received 7 July 2006; revision accepted 18 April 2007.
- 1979. Problems of interpreting arthropod sampling with pitfall traps. Zool. Anzeiger Jena 202: 177–184.
- 1993. Compositional analysis of habitat use from animal radio-tracking data. Ecology 74: 1313–1325. , &
- 2006. What's Happening to Our Woodland Birds? Long-Term Changes in the Populations of Woodland Birds. RSPB Research Report no. 19. BTO Research Report no. 169. Sandy: RSPB. , , , , , , , &
- 1978. Effects of telemetry transmitter weight on breeding success in Herring Gulls. Biotelemetry 5: 154–163. , &
- 1961. Die Waldschnepfe. Munchen-Solln: F.C. Mayer Verlag.
- 2004. Comparison of Type I error rates for statistical analyses of resource selection. J. Wildl. Manage. 68: 206–212. &
- 1972. Skovsneppen (Scolopax rusticola) som ynglefugl I Danmark. Danske Vildtundersogelser, hefte 19.
- 1973. Age and sex determination of the Woodcock (Scolopax rusticola). Dan. Rev. Game Biol. 8: 1–18.
- 1956. The use of distance measures in phytosociological sampling. Ecology 37: 451–460. &
- 1975. Correction factors for digestion rates for prey taken by Snow Buntings (Plectrophenax nivalis). Condor 77: 210–212. &
- 1965. Territory and food of the Song Thrush. Br. Birds 58: 161–175. &
- 2001. Importance of early successional habitat to Ruffed Grouse and American Woodcock. Wildlife Soc. Bull. 29: 456–465. &
- 1998. Effects of forest management and grazing on breeding bird communities in plantations of broadleaved and coniferous trees in western England. Biol. Conserv. 85: 183–197. , , &
- 1973. Summer behavior of immature radio-tagged woodcock in central Maine. J. Wildl. Manage. 37: 462–469. &
- 2005. Individual activity rates in wintering Eurasian Woodcocks: starvation versus predation risk trade-off? Anim. Behav. 69: 39–49. , , , &
- 1983. Woodcock singing-ground counts and habitat changes in the Northeastern United States. J. Wildl. Manage. 47: 772–779. , &
- 1984. Changes in agricultural practice and their impact on soil organisms. In Jenkins, D. (ed.) Agriculture and the Environment: 56–65. Proceedings of ITE Symposium No. 13. Cambridge: NERC.
- 1977. The Biology of Earthworms. London: Chapman & Hall. &
- 1984. The State of Highland Birchwoods. Edinburgh: Scottish Wildlife Trust.
- Forestry Commission. 1994. The Management of Semi-Natural Woodlands: 6. Upland Birchwoods. Edinburgh: Forestry Commission.
- 1982. Bird Habitats in Britain. Calton: Poyser.
- 2001. Ecological impacts of increasing numbers of deer in British woodland. Forestry 74: 193–199. &
- 2005. Recent declines in populations of woodland birds in Britain: a review of possible causes. Br. Birds 98: 116–143. , , &
- 1989. The diet of Lapwing Vanellus vanellus chicks on Scottish farmland. Ibis 131: 80–84.
- 1993. The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland: 1988–1991. London: Poyser. , &
- 1987. Régime alimentaire diurne de la Bécasse des Bois (Scolopax rusticola) en hivernage: approche quantitative. Gibier Faune Sauvage 4: 125–147.
- 1993. Importance of meadows for wintering Eurasian Woodcock in the west of France. In Longcore, J.R. & Sepik, G.F. (eds) 8th American Woodcock Symposium: 135. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. &
- 1984. The feeding ecology and survival of partridge chicks (Alectoris rufa and Perdix perdix) on arable farmland in East Anglia. J. Appl. Ecol. 21: 817–830.
- 1989. Determination of the diet of the Stone Curlew (Burhinus oedicnemus) by faecal analysis. J. Zool., Lond. 217: 311–320. &
- 1964. Pitfall trapping as a method for studying populations of Carabidae (Coleoptera). J. Anim. Ecol. 33: 301–310.
- 1984. Population Ecology of Woodcock in Wisconsin. Technical Bulletin no. 144. Madison, WI: Department of Natural Resources.
- 2002. The population status of birds in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man: an analysis of conservation concern 2002–2007. Br. Birds 95: 410–448. , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Summer diet and body condition of Song Thrushes Turdus philomelos in stable and declining farmland populations. Ibis 145: 637–649. , &
- 1983. A five-year study of the breeding behaviour and biology of the Woodcock in England – a first report. In Kalchreuter, H. (ed.) Proceedings of the 2nd European Woodcock and Snipe Workshop: 51–67. Slimbridge: IWRB.
- 1988. Habitat use by Woodcock (Scolopax rusticola) during the breeding season. In Havet, P. & Hirons, G. (eds) Proceedings of the 3rd European Woodcock and Snipe Workshop: 42–47. Slimbridge: IWRB.
- 1983. The diet and behaviour of Eurasian Woodcock wintering in Cornwall. In Kalchreuter, H. (ed.) Proceedings of the 2nd European Woodcock and Snipe Workshop: 11–17. Slimbridge: IWRB. &
- 1987. A quantitative analysis of habitat preferences of Woodcock Scolopax rusticola in the breeding season. Ibis 129: 371–381. &
- 1982. Radio-tagging as an aid to the study of woodcock. Symp. Zool. Soc. Lond. 49: 139–152. &
- 1994. Aspects of the Ecology of the European Woodcock Scolopax rusticola L. PhD thesis, University of Durham.
- 2006. Development of a survey method for breeding Woodcock and its application to assessing the status of the British population. In Ferrand, Y. (ed.) Proceedings of the 6th European Woodcock and Snipe Workshop: 48–54. Wageningen: Wetlands International. , , , &
- 2005. Long-Term Ecological Change in British Woodland (1971–2001). English Nature Research Report no. 653. Peterborough: English Nature. , , , , &
- 1986. The spring diet of the Woodcock (Scolopax rusticola). Folia Zool. 35: 289–297.
- Lawes Agricultural Trust. 2005. Genstat 8 Release 2. Reference Manual. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1975. Some features influencing the efficiency of pitfall traps. Oecologia 19: 345–357.
- 1987. The Native Woodlands of Scotland. Edinburgh: Friends of the Earth (Scotland).
- MapInfo Corporation. 2002. MapInfo Professional. New York: MapInfo Corporation.
- 1977. On the reproduction of the European Woodcock. Viltrevy 10: 27–40. &
- 1998. The Impact of Vertebrate Herbivores on the Natural Heritage of the Scottish Uplands – a Review. Scottish Natural Heritage Review no. 95. Edinburgh: Scottish Natural Heritage. , , , &
- 1988. An aid to the identification of arthropod fragments in the faeces of gamebird chicks (Galliformes). Ibis 130: 519–526.
- 1977. Diurnal high use areas of hatching-year female Woodcock. In & (eds) Proceedings of the 6th Woodcock Symposium: 155–160. Fredericton: New Brunswick Dept of Natural Resources.
- NCC. 1990. Handbook for Phase 1 Habitat Survey – a Technique for Environmental Audit. Peterborough: NCC.
- 1986. The Sparrowhawk. Calton: Poyser.
- 1986. Farming and Birds. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 1967. Changes in status among breeding birds in Britain and Ireland. Br. Birds 60: 97–123.
- 2004. Habitat selection by Song Thrushes in stable and declining farmland populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 275–293. , , , , , , &
- 2001. Effect of increasing numbers of deer on bird populations in Wytham Woods, central England. Forestry 74: 299–309. &
- 1977. Structural analysis of Woodcock diurnal habitat in northern Michigan. In & (eds) Proceedings of the 6th Woodcock Symposium: 125–134. Fredericton: New Brunswick Dept of Natural Resources.
- 1983. Feeding-site selection and foraging strategies of American Woodcock. Auk 100: 711–716. , &
- 1991. Population trends from the American Woodcock singing-ground survey, 1970–88. J. Wildl. Manage. 55: 300–312. &
- 1992. A Landowner's Guide to Woodcock Management in the Northeast. Miscellaneous Report 253. Maine: LSA Experiment Station, University of Maine. , &
- 1993. Critical review of the current knowledge of the biology of the American Woodcock and its management on the breeding grounds. US Fish Wildl. Serv. Biol. Report 16: 98–104. , &
- 1974. The European Woodcock (Scolopax rusticola). A Search of the Literature Since 1940. Game Conservancy Report no. 21. Fordingbridge: The Game Conservancy.
- SPSS Inc. 1999. SYSTAT 9. Chicago: SPSS Inc.
- 1985. Comparative ecological studies on Blackbird and Song Thrush populations. I. Nutritional ecology. Opusc. Zool. (Budapest) 21: 105–135.
- 1998. Breeding season diet of the Goshawk Accipiter gentilis in Wales. Ibis 140: 569–579.
- 1991. Woodlands: past, present and potential for insects. In Collins, N.M. & Thomas, J.A. (eds) The Conservation of Insects and Their Habitats: 155–211. London: Academic Press. &
- 2004. Woodcock feeding young. Br. Birds 97: 98.
- 1983. Wintering site fidelity of Woodcock in Ireland. In Kalchreuter, H. (ed.) Proceedings of the 2nd European Woodcock and Snipe Workshop: 18–27. Slimbridge: IWRB.
- 1954. Notes on woodcock and snipe from Tynan Abbey. Irish Naturalists’ Journal 11: 232.
- 1983. De houtsnip (Scolopax rusticola), deel I. De Graspieper, October 1983, 107–121.