Conflict of interests: The authors declare no conflict of interests.
Differential mortality of wintering shorebirds on the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania, due to predation by large falcons
Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 British Ornithologists’ Union
Special Issue: Birds as predators and as prey
Volume 150, Issue Supplement s1, pages 219–230, August 2008
How to Cite
VAN DEN HOUT, P. J., SPAANS, B. and PIERSMA, T. (2008), Differential mortality of wintering shorebirds on the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania, due to predation by large falcons. Ibis, 150: 219–230. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2008.00785.x
- Issue online: 21 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2008
- Received 25 September 2007; revision accepted 5 October 2007.
- 1982. Wintering Waders on the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania. Report of the Netherlands Ornithological Mauritanian Expedition 1980. Leiden: Stichting Veth tot Steun aan Waddenonderzoek. , , &
- 1995. Interaction between food availability and predation mortality mediated by adaptive behavior. Ecology 76: 2230–2234. &
- 1985. Gulls and Plovers. New York: Columbia University Press. &
- 1990. Predation by large falcons on wintering waders on the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania. Ardea 78: 75–82.
- 1996. A comparison of behavior and success rates of Merlins and Peregrine Falcons when hunting Dunlins in two coastal habitats. J. Raptor Res. 30: 93–98.
- 1988. Merlin predation on wintering Dunlins: hunting success and Dunlin escape tactics. Wilson Bull. 100: 108–118. , , &
- 2005. Anti-predator Defenses in Birds and Mammals. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2004. Using the proportion of juvenile waders to measure recruitment. Wader Study Group Bull. 104: 51–55. , , &
- 1980. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. 2. Oxford: Oxford University Press. & (eds)
- 2007. Predation risk affects reproductive physiology and demography of Elk. Science 315: 960. , , &
- 1994a. Flocking is an effective anti-predation strategy in Redshanks, Tringa totanus. Anim. Behav. 47: 433–442.
- 1994b. Age-dependent choice of redshank (Tringa totanus) feeding location: profitability or risk? J. Anim. Ecol. 63: 589–600.
- 1996. Surprise as a winter hunting strategy in Sparrowhawks Accipiter nisus, Peregrines Falco peregrinus and Merlins F. columbarius. Ibis 138: 684–692.
- 2004. Faced with a choice, sparrow-hawks more often attack the more vulnerable prey group. Oikos 104: 71–75. &
- 1994. The effects of raptor predation on wintering wader populations at the Tyninghame estuary, southeast Scotland. Ibis 136: 223–232. &
- 2007. Ringing or colour-banding does not increase predation mortality in Redshanks Tringa totanus. J. Avian Biol. 38: 309–316. , , , &
- 2006. African–Western Eurasian Flyways: current knowledge, population status and future challenges. In Boere, G.C., Galbraith, C.A. & Stroud, D.A. (eds) Waterbirds Around the World: 63–73. Edinburgh: The Stationery Office. &
- 1980. Hunting success rates, foraging habits, and prey selection of Peregrine Falcons migrating through central Alberta. Can. Field-Nat. 94: 371–382.
- 1988. Peregrine Falcon and Merlin predation on small shorebirds and passerines in Alberta. Can. J. Zool. 66: 925–928.
- 1998. Over-ocean flocking by Dunlins, Calidris alpina, and the effect of raptor predation at Boundary Bay, British Columbia. Can. Field-Nat. 112: 694–697.
- 2003. Peregrine Falcon predation on Dunlins and ducks and kleptoparasitic interference from Bald Eagles wintering at Boundary Bay, British Columbia. J. Raptor Res. 37: 91–97.
- 2004. Raptor predation on wintering Dunlins in relation to the tidal cycle. Condor 106: 415–419. &
- 1998. Routes and travel rates of migrating Peregrine Falcons Falco peregrinus and Swainson's Hawks Buteo swainsonii in the Western Hemisphere. J. Avian Biol. 29: 433–440. , &
- 1980. Competition for food and interference amongst waders. Ardea 68: 31–52.
- 2007. State dependent risk-taking by green turtles mediates top-down effects of tiger shark intimidation in a marine ecosystem. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 837–844. , , , , , , &
- 1999. Models of Adaptive Behaviour. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 2006. The Birds of the Banc d’Arguin. Arles: Fondation Internationale du Banc d’Arguin.
- 2002. Living in Groups. Oxford: Oxford University Press. &
- 1984. Age-related mortality in a wintering population of Dunlin. Auk 101: 69–73. , , &
- 2003. Death and danger at migratory stopovers: problems with ‘predation risk’. J. Avian Biol. 34: 225–228. &
- 2003. Effects of predation danger on migration strategies of sandpipers. Oikos 103: 303–319. , , &
- 2006. Small home ranges and high site fidelity in Red Knots (Calidris c. canutus) wintering on the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania. J. Ornithol. 147: 376–384. , , &
- 1990. Behavioral decisions made under the risk of predation: a review and a prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 68: 619–640. &
- 2005. Determining the fitness consequences of antipredation behaviour. Behav. Ecol. 16: 945–956. &
- 2006. The blind men and the elephant: about the use of juvenile proportion data. Stilt 50: 194–204. , , &
- 2002. Migration and ranging of Peregrine Falcons wintering on the Gulf of Mexico coast, Tamaulipas, Mexico. Condor 104: 39–48. , , , &
- 1994. The effect of a change in foraging options on intake rate and predation rate. Am. Nat. 144: 978–1000. &
- 2007. Malaria and risk of predation: a comparative study of birds. Ecology 88: 871–881. &
- 2000. Nonlethal effects of predators on prey populations: predator-mediated change in bivalve growth. Ecology 81: 1031–1045.
- 1998. Population Limitation in Birds. San Diego: Academic Press.
- 1975. Raptor predation on wintering shorebirds. Condor 77: 73–83. &
- 1976. Some biases in cannon-and mist-netted samples of wader populations. Ring. Migr. 1: 105–107. &
- 1992. The migration system of Afro-Siberian Knots Calidris canutus canutus. Wader Study Group Bull. 64: 52–63. , &
- 1993. Scale and intensity of intertidal habitat use by Knots Calidris canutus in the western Wadden Sea in relation to food, friends and foes. Neth. J. Sea Res. 31: 331–357. , , , , , &
- 1977. Guide to the Identification and Ageing of Holarctic Waders. BTO Guide 17. Tring: British Trust for Ornithology. , &
- 2004. Predator hunting behaviour and prey vulnerability. J. Anim. Ecol. 73: 143–154. &
- 1993. The Peregrine Falcon, 2nd edn. London: Poyser.
- 2006. High-tide habitat choice: insights from modelling roost selection by shorebirds around a tropical bay. Anim. Behav. 72: 563–575. , , , &
- 195051. The choice of prey and modes of hunting of predatory birds with special reference to their selective effect. Oikos 2–3: 67–83; 200–231.
- 2003. Estimation of survival rates for wader populations: a review of mark–recapture methods. Wader Study Group Bull. 100: 163–174.
- 1985. Predation, competition, and prey communities: a review of field experiments. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16: 269–311. , , , &
- 1989. Numbers, midwinter distribution, and migration of wader populations using the East Atlantic flyway. In Boyd, H. & Pirot, J.-Y. (eds) Flyways and Reserve Networks for Waterbirds: 24–63. IWRB Special Publication No. 9. Slimbridge: International Waterfowl and Wetlands Research Bureau. &
- 1986. Foraging Theory. New Jersey: Princeton University Press. &
- 2005. The mechanisms of interference competition: two experiments on foraging waders. Behav. Ecol. 16: 845–855. , , , &
- 1984. Age-related distribution of Dunlin in the Dutch Wadden Sea. In Evans, P.R., Goss-Custard, J.D. & Hale, W.G. (eds) Coastal Waders and Wildfowl in Winter: 160–176. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , &
- 2004. Digestively constrained predators evade the cost of interference competition. J. Anim. Ecol. 73: 386–398. &
- 2004. Carrying capacity models should not use fixed prey density thresholds: a plea for using more tools of behavioural ecology. Oikos 104: 197–204. , , &
- 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46: S120–139. &
- 1985. Raptor predation on wintering waders in southeast Scotland. Ibis 127: 544–558.
- 2003a. Predation by Eurasian sparrowhawks produces density-dependent mortality of wintering redshanks. J. Anim. Ecol. 72: 27–35.
- 2003b. Density-dependent mortality of wintering Dunlins Calidris alpina through predation by Eurasian Sparrowhawks Accipiter nisus. Ibis 145: 432–438.
- 1988. The impact of raptor predation on wintering waders. Acta Congr. Int. Ornithol. 19: 674–687. , &
- 1994. Effects of microhabitat, flocking, climate and migratory goal on energy expenditure in the annual cycle of Red Knots. Condor 96: 257–279. &
- 1990. The Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania, as an environment for coastal birds. Ardea 78: 17–38. &
- 2004. Western sandpipers have altered migration tactics as peregrine falcon populations have recovered. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 1263–1269. , , , &
- 2007. Effects of predator landscapes on the evolutionary ecology of routing, timing and molt by long-distance migrants. J. Avian Biol. 38: 523–529. , &
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis, 4th edn. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- 1990. Increased prey availability drives premigration hyperphagia in Whimbrels and allows them to leave the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania, in time. Ardea 78: 279–300.
- 1990. Selectivity of Whimbrel feeding on Fiddler Crabs explained by component specific digestibilities. Ardea 78: 193–208. &
- 1990. Digestive bottleneck limits the increase in food intake of Whimbrels preparing their departure from the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania, in spring. Ardea 78: 257–278. &
- 1998. Wader count on the Banc d’Arguin, Mauritania, in January/February 1997. Wader Study Group Bull. 86: 53–69. , , , , , &