Conflict of interests: The authors declare no conflict of interests.
Intraguild predation in raptor assemblages: a review
Article first published online: 21 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 British Ornithologists’ Union
Special Issue: Birds as predators and as prey
Volume 150, Issue Supplement s1, pages 132–145, August 2008
How to Cite
SERGIO, F. and HIRALDO, F. (2008), Intraguild predation in raptor assemblages: a review. Ibis, 150: 132–145. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2008.00786.x
- Issue published online: 21 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 21 AUG 2008
- Received 3 August 2007; revision accepted 15 October 2007.
- 1984. Foraging time optimization and interactions in food webs. Am. Nat. 124: 80–96.
- 1993. Why predation rate should not be proportional to predator density. Ecology 74: 726–733.
- 1994. The fallacies of ‘ratio-dependent’ predation. Ecology 75: 1842–1850.
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity in the interactions and evolution of species. Science 294: 321–326.
- 2006. Status and trends in demography of Northern Spotted Owls, 1995–2003. Wildl. Monogr. 163: 1–48. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Intraguild predation: a widespread interaction related to species biology. Ecol. Lett. 7: 557–564. &
- 1999. Behavioral responses of coyotes to wolf recolonization in northwestern Montana. Can. J. Zool. 77: 1919–1927. &
- 1992. Niche overlap of two sympatric-nesting hawks Accipiter spp. in the Jersey–New York highlands. Ecography 15: 358–372. , &
- 2006a. Factors affecting breeding habitat selection in a cliff-nesting Peregrine Falco peregrinus population. J. Ornithol. 147: 428–435. , &
- 2006b. Eagle Owl Bubo bubo proximity can lower productivity of cliff-nesting Peregrines Falco peregrinus. Ornis Fennica 83: 20–26. , &
- 2004. Nistplatz-Konkurrenz und Prädation zwischen Uhu (Bubo bubo) und Habicht (Accipiter gentilis): erste Ergebnisse aus Norddeutschland. Die Vogelwarte 42: 169–177. , &
- 2002. Interesting case of aggressive interaction between Common Buzzard (Buteo buteo) and Ural Owl (Strix uralensis). Subbuteo 5: 46.
- 1988. Peregrine Falcon Populations: Their Management and Recovery. Boise: The Peregrine Fund. , , & (eds)
- 2003. The potential for interspecific competition among African carnivores. Biol. Conserv. 110: 67–75. &
- 2003. Removing protected populations to save endangered species. Science 302: 1532. , &
- 1980. The Birds of the Western Palearctic, Vol. 2. Oxford: Oxford University Press. & (eds)
- 2001. Interspecific competition and the population biology of extinction-prone carnivores. In Gittleman, J.L., Funk, S.M., MacDonald, D. & Wayne, R.K. (eds) Carnivore Conservation: 35–60. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , &
- 2008. Non-lethal effects of predation in birds. Ibis 150: 3–17.
- 1999. Mesopredator release and avifaunal extinctions in a fragmented system. Nature 400: 563–566. &
- 2005. The effect of broadcasting Great Horned Owl vocalizations on Spotted Owl vocal responsiveness. J. Raptor Res. 39: 111–118. , &
- 2006. Does the presence of Barred Owls suppress the calling behaviour of Spotted Owls? Condor 108: 760–769. , , , , , &
- 1984. Le Faucon pélerin Falco peregrinus dans le sud du Massif Central de 1974 à 1983. Alauda 52: 161–176.
- 2000. Effects of multiple, predator-induced behaviors on short-term producer-grazer dynamics in open systems. Am. Nat. 156: 293–313. , , , , , &
- 1990. Brutbiotop und Territorialität bei Habicht (Accipiter gentilis) und Rotmilan (Milvus milvus). J. Ornithol. 131: 85–93.
- 1999. Predators as prey at a Golden Eagle Aquila chrysaetos eyrie in Mongolia. Ibis 141: 139–158. , , &
- 2003. The impact of Golden Eagles on a diverse bird of prey assemblage. In Thompson, D.B.A., Redpath, S.M., Fielding, A.H., Marquiss, M. & Galbraith, C.A. (eds) Birds of Prey in a Changing Environment: 221–244. Edinburgh: The Stationery Office. , , , &
- 1999. Causes and consequences of territory change and breeding dispersal distance in the Black Kite. Ecology 80: 1298–1310. , , &
- 2000. Breeding density, habitat selection and reproductive rates of the Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus in Álava (northern Spain). Bird Study 47: 225–231. , &
- 2007. The invasion of barred owls and its potential effect on the spotted owl: a conservation conundrum. Biological Invasions 9: 181–196. , , &
- 1996. Competitive and predatory interactions among raptors: an observational and experimental study. Ecology 77: 1134–1142. &
- 2001. Experimental increase of predation risk induces breeding dispersal of Tengmalm's owl. Oecologia 126: 355–259. , , &
- 2004. Competitive interactions among raptors in boreal forests. Oecologia 141: 420–424. , , , &
- 1989. Spatial relationships between coyotes and red foxes in eastern Maine. J. Wildl. Manage. 53: 181–185. , &
- 1976. Food-niche and trophic relationships among European owls. Ornis Scand. 7: 29–41. &
- 1997. A theoretical framework for intraguild predation. Am. Nat. 149: 745–764. &
- 1982. Inadequacy of activity time as a niche difference: the case of diurnal and nocturnal raptors. Oecologia 32: 171–175.
- 1983. Food-niche relationships and guild structure of diurnal birds of prey: competition versus opportunism. Can. J. Zool. 61: 2230–2241. &
- 2003. Are Barred Owls displacing Spotted Owls? Condor 105: 45–53. , &
- 1999. Owls: A Guide to the Owls of the World. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- 1985. Selection for nest-hole shift and tactics of breeding dispersal in Tengmalm's owl Aegolius funereus. J. Anim. Ecol. 56: 185–196.
- 1989. Avian predation on mustelids in Europe 1: occurrence and effects on body size variation and life traits. Oikos 55: 205–215. &
- 1991. Interspecific interference competition in three European raptor species. Ethol. Ecol. Evol. 3: 127–143.
- 2002. Interactions between common buzzard Buteo buteo and goshawk Accipiter gentilis: trade-offs revealed by a field experiment. Oikos 96: 441–452.
- 1998. Nonlethal effects in the ecology of predator–prey interactions – What are the ecological effects of anti-predator decision-making? Bioscience 48: 25–34.
- 1990. Behavioral decisions made under the risk of predation: a review and prospectus. Can. J. Zool. 68: 619–640. &
- 1971. Population dynamics of the Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) at Rochester, Alberta. Auk 88: 75–87. , &
- 1996. Mortality of Prairie Falcons during the fledging dependence period. Condor 98: 791–800. &
- 2004. Does intraguild predation enhance predator performance? A stoichiometric perspective. Ecology 85: 2601–2615. , , , , &
- 1974. Predator–prey relations and breeding biology of the Great Horned Owl and Red-tailed Hawk. Can. Field Nat. 88: 1–20. &
- 1976. Owls killing and killed by other owls and raptors in Europe. Br. Birds 69: 144–154.
- 1983. Owls of Europe. Calton: T & AD Poyser.
- 2002. Intraguild predation in biological control and conservation biology. Biol. Conserv. 25: 216–223. &
- 2001. Impact of intraguild predation and stage structure on simple communities along a productivity gradient. Am. Nat. 158: 259–276. , , &
- 1979. Population Ecology of Raptors. Berkhamsted: T & AD Poyser.
- 2004. Modeling demographic performance of northern spotted owls relative to forest habitat in Oregon. J. Wildl. Manage. 68: 1039–1053. , , , , , &
- 2005. Modeling of site occupancy for northern spotted owls, with emphasis on the effects of barred owls. J. Wildl. Manage. 69: 918–932. , , , , , , , &
- 1956. Red-tailed Hawk and Horned Owl populations in Wisconsin. Condor 58: 371–385. &
- 1999. Interspecific killing among mammalian carnivores. Am. Nat. 153: 492–508. &
- 1995. Positive effects on game species of top predators by controlling smaller predator populations: an example with lynx, mongooses, and rabbits. Conserv. Biol. 9: 295–305. , , &
- 2004. Context dependence of nonlethal effects of a predator on prey growth. Israel J. Zool. 50: 139–167. &
- 2003. Distribution, numbers and site characteristics of Spotted Owls and Barred Owls in the Cascade Mountains of Washington. J. Raptor Res. 37: 265–276. &
- 2003. The decline of Common Kestrels Falco tinnunculus in a forested area of northern England: the role of predation by Northern Goshawks Accipiter gentilis. Ibis 145: 472–483. , , , , , &
- 1992. Intraguild predation: the dynamics of complex trophic interactions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7: 151–154. &
- 1989. The ecology and evolution of intraguild predation: potential competitors that eat each other. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 20: 297–330. , &
- 2005. Scared to death? The effects of intimidation and consumption in predator–prey interactions. Ecology 86: 501–509. , &
- 1988. On the life history of a reintroduced population of Eagle Owls (Bubo bubo). In Garcelon, D.K. & Roemer, G.W. (eds) Proceedings of the International Symposium on Raptor Reintroduction, 1985: 83–94. Arcata: Institute of Wildlife studies. &
- 2005. Large Carnivores and the Conservation of Biodiversity. Washington: Island Press. , , & (eds)
- 1982. Nesting habitat of coexisting Accipiter in Oregon. J. Wildl. Manage. 46: 124–138. , &
- 2002. Golden eagles, feral pigs, and insular carnivores: How exotic species turn native predators into prey. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99: 791–796. , &
- 1998. Song sparrows, top carnivores, and nest predation: a test of the mesopredator release hypothesis. Oecologia 116: 227–33. &
- 1992. Food-stressed Great Horned Owl kills adult Goshawk: exceptional observation or community process? J. Raptor Res. 26: 261–263. &
- 1996. First-year survival of great horned owls during a peak and decline of the snowshoe hare cycle. Can. J. Zool. 74: 1092–1097. &
- 1978. Predation ecology of coexisting Great Horned and Barn Owls. Wilson Bull. 90: 134–137.
- 1995. Attempts to reintroduce African wild dogs Lycaon pictus into Etosha National Park, Namibia. S. Afr. J. Wildlife Res. 25: 138–140. &
- 1983. Field experiments on interspecific competition. Am. Nat. 122: 240–285.
- 2003. Occupancy as a measure of territory quality. J. Anim. Ecol. 72: 857–865. &
- 2003a. Spatial refugia and the coexistence of a diurnal raptor with its intraguild owl predator. J. Anim. Ecol. 72: 232–245. , &
- 2003b. Spatio-temporal shifts in gradients of habitat quality for an opportunist avian predator. Ecography 26: 243–255. , &
- 2004. The importance of interspecific interactions for breeding-site selection: peregrine falcons seek proximity to raven nests. Ecography 27: 818–826. , , &
- 2005a. Preservation of wide-ranging top predators by site-protection: black and red kites in Doñana National Park. Biol. Conserv. 125: 11–21. , , , , &
- 2005b. Top predators and biodiversity. Nature 236: 192. , &
- 2005c. Effect of agro-forestry and landscape changes on common buzzards (Buteo buteo) in the Alps: implications for conservation. Anim. Conserv. 7: 17–25. , , , &
- 2006. Ecologically justified charisma: preservation of top predators delivers biodiversity conservation. J. Appl. Ecol. 43: 1049–1055. , , &
- 2007. Coexistence of a generalist owl with its intraguild predator: distance-sensitive or habitat-mediated avoidance? Anim. Behav. 74: 1607–1616. , , &
- 2000. Relationship between raptors and rabbits in the diet of Eagle Owls in southwestern Europe: competition removal or food stress? J. Raptor Res. 34: 305–310.
- 1985. Predation, competition, and prey communities: a review of field experiments. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16: 269–311. , , , &
- 1985. Risk of nest predation in three species of hole nesting owls: influence on choice of nesting habitat and incubation behaviour. Ornis Scand. 16: 261–269.
- 2007. Interspecific competition limits larders of Pygmy Owls Glaucidium passerinum. J. Avian Biol. 38: 630–634. , , &
- 2005. Predators control post-fledging mortality in tawny owls, Strix aluco. Oikos 110: 461–472.
- 1999. Intraguild predation of lynxes on foxes: evidence of interference competition? Ecography 22: 521–523. , &
- 2003. Diurnal exposure as a risk sensitive behaviour in Tawny Owls Strix aluco? J. Avian Biol. 34: 409–418. , &
- 1993. Eagle Owl predation on Egyptian Vulture and Northern Goshawk: possible effect of a decrease in European Rabbit availability. J. Raptor Res. 27: 111–112. &
- 2004. Effects of land-use, nesting-site availability, and the presence of larger raptors on the abundance of vulnerable lesser kestrels Falco naumanni in Kazakhstan. Oryx 38: 224–227. , , , , , , , &
- 2003. Post-fledging survival of burrowing owls in Saskatchewan. J. Wildl. Manage. 67: 512–519. , , &
- 2004. Nest-site selection and nesting success of Little Owls (Athene noctua) in Mediterranean woodland and open habitats. J. Raptor Res. 38: 35–46. , &
- 1952. Neue Ergebnisse über die Ernährung der Greifvögel und Eulen. Stuttgart: Verlag Eugen Ulmer.
- 1988. Owls of the Northern Hemisphere. London: Collins.
- 2003. A review of trait-mediated indirect interactions in ecological communities. Ecology 84: 1083–1100. &
- 2007. Social interactions between two owl species sometimes associated with intraguild predation. Ardea 96: 109–113. , , , , , &