Conflict of interests: The authors declare no conflict of interests.
Using inter-colony variation in demographic parameters to assess the impact of skua predation on seabird populations
Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 British Ornithologists’ Union
Special Issue: Birds as predators and as prey
Volume 150, Issue Supplement s1, pages 45–53, August 2008
How to Cite
VOTIER, S. C., HEUBECK, M. and FURNESS, R. W. (2008), Using inter-colony variation in demographic parameters to assess the impact of skua predation on seabird populations. Ibis, 150: 45–53. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2008.00804.x
- Issue online: 21 AUG 2008
- Version of Record online: 21 AUG 2008
- Received 12 September 2007; revision accepted 2 January 2008.
- 2003. Prey resources, competition, and geographic structure of kittiwake colonies in Prince William Sound. Ecology 84: 709–723. , , , &
- 2002. Sandeel recruitment in the North Sea: demographic, climatic and trophic effects. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 238: 199–210. &
- 2002. Model Selection and Multimodel Inference: A Practical Information-theoretic Approach. New York: Springer. &
- 2004. Estimation of the age-specific rate of natural mortality for Shetland sandeels. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 61: 159–164.
- 1983. The changing status of the Kittiwake Rissa tridactyla in the British Isles. Bird Study 30: 9–16.
- 1992. Where do young Kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla breed: philopatry or dispersal? Ardea 80: 187–197. &
- 2007. The R Book. West Sussex: John Wiley & Sons.
- 1992. Population dynamics modelling of two neighbouring Kittiwake Rissa tridactyla colonies. Ardea 80: 171–180. &
- 1998. Conspecific reproductive success and breeding habitat selection: implications for the study of coloniality. Ecology 79: 2415–2428. , &
- 2004. The role of industrial fisheries and oceanographic change in the decline of North Sea black-legged kittiwakes. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 1129–1139. , , , &
- 2005a. Inter-population variation in demographic parameters: a neglected subject? Oikos 111: 209–214. , &
- 2005b. Regional patterns of kittiwake Rissa tridactyla breeding success are related to variability in sandeel recruitment. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 300: 201–211. , , , , &
- 2007. Regional variation in the role of bottom-up processes in controlling sandeel abundance in the North Sea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 337: 279–286. , &
- 2003. Impacts of fisheries on seabird communities. Sci. Mar. 67: 33–45.
- 2000. Seabird–fishery interactions: quantifying the sensitivity of seabirds to reductions in sandeel abundance and identification of key areas for sensitive seabirds in the North Sea. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 202: 2563–264. &
- 1987. A low-input method of monitoring Kittiwake Rissa tridactyla breeding success. Biol. Conserv. 41: 1–10.
- 1994. Predation of seabird eggs by Hooded Crows. The Shetland Naturalist 1: 80–81. &
- 1997. Changes in the breeding distribution and numbers of Kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla around Unst, Shetland, and the presumed role of predation by Great Skuas Stercorarius skua. Seabird 19: 12–21. , &
- 1999. Estimating the population size and rate of decline in Kittiwakes Rissa tridactyla breeding in Shetland 1981–97. Bird Study 46: 48–61. , , , &
- ICES. 2002. Report of the working group on the assessment of demersal stocks in the North Sea and Skagerrak, June 2001. Int. Counc. Explor. Sea Comm. Meet 2002/ACFM: 01: 1–554.
- 2004. Seabird Populations of Britain and Ireland. London: T & AD Poyser. , , &
- 2002. Influences of food availability and predation on survival of kittiwakes. Ecology 83: 2516–2528. &
- 2006. Influence of density-dependence on predator–prey seabird interactions at large spatio-temporal scales. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 379–383. , , , &
- 2004. The Birds of Shetland. London: Christopher Helm. , , , , , &
- 1997. Inter-colony variation in diet and reproductive performance of great skuas Catharacta skua. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 152: 285–293. , , , &
- 2004. Fishing vs. natural recruitment variation in sandeels as a cause of seabird breeding failure at Shetland: a modelling approach. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 61: 788–797. , , &
- R Development Core Team. 2007. R: a Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing, http://www.R-project.org .
- 2002. Implications of Technical Conservation Measures and Fishing Effort for Scavenging Seabird Populations in the Northern North Sea. Sandy, UK: The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. &
- 1996. Interactive effects of food shortage and predation on breeding failure of black-legged kittiwakes: effects of fisheries activities and implications for indicator species. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 155: 249–260. &
- 2005. Colony size selection determines adult survival and dispersal preferences: allee effects in a colonial bird. Am. Nat. 166: 22–31. , , &
- 2002. Modern Applied Statistics with S. New York: Springer. &
- 2004a. Reproductive consequences for Great Skuas specializing as seabird predators. Condor 106: 275–287. , , &
- 2004b. Predation by great skuas at a large seabird colony. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 1117–1128. , , , &
- 2004c. Changes in fisheries discard rates and seabird communities. Nature 427: 727–730. , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Seabird predation by Great Skuas – intra-specifc competition for food? J. Avian Biol. 38: 234–246. , , , &