The outputs from the 2009 BOU conference will be published in Ibis later this year.
Bird conservation and agriculture: a pivotal moment?
Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 British Ornithologists’ Union
Volume 152, Issue 1, pages 176–179, January 2010
How to Cite
WILSON, J. D., EVANS, A. D. and GRICE, P. V. (2010), Bird conservation and agriculture: a pivotal moment?. Ibis, 152: 176–179. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2009.00992.x
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2009
- Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. ( eds ) 2000. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union.
- 2009. How much does agriculture depend on pollinators? Lessons from long-term trends in crop production. Ann. Bot. 103: 1579–1588. , , &
- 2005. The effects of organic agriculture on biodiversity and abundance: a meta-analysis. J. Appl. Ecol. 42: 261–269. , &
- 2003. Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? Trends Ecol. Evol. 18: 182–188. , &
- 1996. Low-intensity farming systems in the conservation of the countryside. J. Appl. Ecol. 33: 413–424. &
- 2006. Farmland birds and resource protection in the UK: cross-cutting solutions for multifunctional farming? Biol. Conserv. 129: 530–542. &
- 1963. Silent Spring. London: Hamish Hamilton.
- 2009. Bird use of cultivated fallow ‘Lapwing plots’ within English agri-environment schemes. Bird Study 56: 289–297. , , , , &
- 2009. Energy- and greenhouse gas-based LCA of biofuel and bionergy systems: key issues, ranges and recommendations. Resour. Conserv. Recycl. 53: 434–447. , , , , &
- 2006. Watched like Never Before: The Local Economic Benefits of Spectacular Bird Species. Sandy, UK: Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. , &
- 2006. Habitat connectivity and matrix restoration: the wider implications of agri-environment schemes. J. Appl. Ecol. 43: 209–218. &
- 2001. Agricultural intensification and the collapse of Europe’s farmland bird populations. Proc. Roy. Soc. Lond. B 268: 25–29. , &
- 2006. Further evidence of continent-wide impacts of agricultural intensification on European farmland birds. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 116: 189–196. , , &
- 2007. An example of a two-tiered agri-environment scheme designed to deliver effectively the ecological requirements of both localised and widespread bird species. J. Ornithol. 148: S279–S286. &
- FAOSTAT. 2009. Food and agricultural commodities production. http://faostat.fao.org .
- 2005. Striking a new balance between agricultural production and biodiversity. Ann. Appl. Biol. 146: 163–175.
- 2009. It’s not enough to develop agriculture that minimizes environmental impact. Int. J. Agric. Sust. 7: 1–2.
- 2006. Biodiversity, ecosystem function, and resilience: ten guiding principles for commodity production landscapes. Front. Ecol. Environ. 4: 80–86. , &
- 2005. Global consequences of land use. Science, 309: 570–574. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2009. The spatial aggregation of organic farming in England and its underlying environmental correlates. J. Appl. Ecol. 46: 323–333. , , , , , , &
- 2009. Livestock-related greenhouse gas emissions: impacts and options for policy makers. Environ. Sci Policy 12(S1): 491–503.
- 2005. Developing indicators for European birds. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 360: 269–288. , , , , , &
- 2000. Responses of farmland birds to set-aside and its management. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 69–76: Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. &
- 2005. Does organic farming benefit biodiversity? Biol. Conserv. 122: 113–130. , , , , &
- 2004. The environmental consequences of adopting conservation tillage in Europe: reviewing the evidence. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 103: 1–25.
- 2003. How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 947–969. &
- 2007. Indirect effects of extensification schemes on pollinators in two contrasting European countries. Biol. Conserv. 135: 302–307. , , , &
- 2004. Soil carbon sequestration impacts on global climate change and food security. Science 304: 1623–1627.
- 2003. Organic agriculture. J. Sust. Agric. 21: 59–128.
- MacIntyre, B.D., Herren, H.R., Wakhungu, J. & Watson, R.T. ( eds ) 2009. Agriculture at a Crossroads: International Assessment of Agricultural Science and Technology for Development Global Report. Washington, DC: Island Press.
- 2004. Costs and benefits of wild goose conservation in Scotland. Biol. Conserv. 119: 475–485. , &
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Biodiversity Synthesis. Washington, DC: World Resources Institute.
- 2004. Sustainable Arable Farming for an Improved Environment (SAFFIE): managing winter wheat structure for Skylarks Alauda arvensis. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 155–162. , , &
- 2004. The recent decline of farmland bird populations in Britain: an appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146: 579–600.
- Policy Commission on the Future of Farming and Food. 2002. Farming and Food: A Sustainable Future. London: Cabinet Office.
- 2006. Resource-conserving agriculture increases yields in developing countries. Environ. Sci. Technol. 40: 1114–1119. , , , , , &
- 2005. Reconciling agricultural productivity and environmental integrity: a grand challenge for agriculture. Front. Ecol. Environ. 3: 38–46. &
- Royal Society. 2009. Reaping the Benefits: Science and the Sustainable Intensification of Global Agriculture. London: The Royal Society.
- 2007. The effect of supplementary winter seed food on breeding populations of farmland birds: evidence from two large-scale experiments. J. Appl. Ecol. 44: 920–932. , , , , &
- 2004. Carbon sequestration in croplands: the potential in Europe and the global context. Eur. J. Agron. 20: 229–236.
- 2007. The role of livestock production in carbon and nitrogen cycles. Annu. Rev. Environ. Resour. 32: 271–294. &
- 2008. The Economics of Ecosystems and Biodiversity: An Interim Report. European Communities.
- 2002. Restoring a sustainable countryside. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 148–150.
- 2004. A blueprint for the countryside. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 230–238.
- 2008. Targeting CAP support at High Nature Value Farming and Crofting Systems. Report to the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. &
- 2009. Wetland creation in agricultural landscapes: biodiversity benefits on local and regional scales. Biol. Conserv. 142: 964–973. , , , , &
- 2001. Forecasting agriculturally driven global environmental change. Science 292: 281–284. , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Agricultural sustainability and intensive production practices. Nature 418: 671–677. , , , &
- 2005. Landscape perspectives on agricultural intensification and biodiversity: ecosystem service management. Ecol. Lett. 8: 857–874. , , , &
- Vickery, J.A., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V., Aebischer, N.J. & Brand-Hardy, R. ( eds ) 2004. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: the Road to Recovery. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2).
- 2008. Predicting the impact of future agricultural change and uptake of Entry Level Stewardship on farmland birds. BTO Research Report, Vol. 485. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology. , , , , , , &
- 2009. Arable field margins managed for biodiversity conservation: a review of food resource provision for farmland birds. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 133: 1–13. , &
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycle: sources and consequences. Ecol. Appl. 7: 737–750. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Plant responses to drought, salinity and extreme temperatures: towards genetic engineering for stress tolerance. Planta 218: 1–14. , &
- 2007. Will agri-environment schemes deliver substantial biodiversity gain, and if not why not? J. Appl. Ecol. 44: 1–5.
- 2009. Bird Conservation and Agriculture. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , &