Present address: RSPB, The Lodge, Sandy, Bedfordshire SG19 2DL, UK.
Testing agri-environment delivery for farmland birds at the farm scale: the Hillesden experiment
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 British Ornithologists’ Union
Volume 152, Issue 3, pages 500–514, July 2010
How to Cite
HINSLEY, S. A., REDHEAD, J. W., BELLAMY, P. E., BROUGHTON, R. K., HILL, R. A., HEARD, M. S. and PYWELL, R. F. (2010), Testing agri-environment delivery for farmland birds at the farm scale: the Hillesden experiment. Ibis, 152: 500–514. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2010.01029.x
- Issue published online: 15 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2010
- Received 8 June 2009; revision accepted 9 April 2010.
- Anon. 2009. Entry Level Stewardship Handbook, 3rd edn. London: Natural England.
- 1992. Bird Census Techniques. London: Academic Press. , &
- 2002. Growing crops to provide food for seed-eating farmland birds in winter. Asp. Appl. Biol. 67: 229–236. &
- 2000. Practical management solutions for birds on lowland arable farmland. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 105–114. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , &
- 2004. Five-year evaluation of the impact of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme on birds. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 171–180. , , &
- 2006. Leaving final-cut grass sileage in situ overwinter as a seed resource for declining farmland birds. Biodivers. Conserv. 15: 3827–3845. &
- 2008. Effects of resource availability and social parasite invasion on field colonies of Bombus terrestris. Ecol. Entomol. 33: 321–327. , , &
- 2000. Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 771–788. , , , &
- 2009. Bird use of cultivated fallow ‘Lapwing plots’ within English agri-environment schemes. Bird Study 56: 289–297. , , , , &
- 2010. Assessing the impact of Entry Level Stewardship on lowland farmland birds in England. Ibis, in press. , , , , &
- Defra. 2008. Wildbird populations 2007. Sustainable Development Strategy and Public Service Agreement Indicators. London: Environment Statistics Service, Defra, 22 pp.
- Defra. 2010a. http://www.defra.gov.uk/sustainable/government/progress/national/20.htm [accessed 10 May 2010].
- Defra. 2010b. http://www.defra.gov.uk/evidence/statistics/food.farm/enviro/observatory/indicators/a/a3_data.htm [accessed 10 May 2010].
- 2006. Habitat connectivity and matrix restoration: the wider implications of agri-environment schemes. J. Appl. Ecol. 43: 209–218. &
- 2009. Improving the value of field margins as foraging habitat for farmland birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 46: 353–362. , &
- 2009. Available at: http://www.BOUPROC.net, in press. , , &
- 2000. Relationships between recent changes in lowland British agriculture and farmland bird populations: an overview. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 5–16. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union.
- 1995. Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conserv. Biol. 9: 1425–1441. , , , , , &
- 2005. Winter availability of cereal stubbles attracts declining farmland birds and positively influences breeding population trends. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272: 733–739. , , &
- 2008. Could soil degradation contribute to farmland bird declines? Links between soil penetrability and the abundance of Yellow Wagtails Motacilla flava in arable fields. Biol. Conserv. 141: 3116–3126. , , , , , &
- 2004. The state of play of farmland birds: population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 1–13. , &
- 2004. The use of winter bird crops by farmland birds in lowland England. Biol. Conserv. 118: 21–32. , &
- 2009. Mapping understorey from leaf-on and leaf-off airborne LiDAR data of deciduous woodland. ISPRS J. Photogramm. Remote Sensing 64: 223–233. &
- 2005. Mapping woodland species composition and structure using airborne spectral and LiDAR data. Int. J. Remote Sens. 26: 3763–3779. &
- 1999. Influence of woodland area on breeding success in Great Tits (Parus major) and Blue Tits (Parus caeruleus). J. Avian Biol. 30: 271–281. , &
- 2002. Quantifying woodland structure and habitat quality for birds using airborne laser scanning. Funct. Ecol. 16: 851–857. , , &
- 2008. Effects of structural and functional habitat gaps on breeding woodland birds: working harder for less. Landsc. Ecol. 23: 615–626. , , , , , &
- 2010. Performance and effectiveness of winter bird food patches established under Environmental Stewardship: results from the Hillesden experiment. Asp. Appl. Biol. 100: 151–158. , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Widespread local House Sparrow extinctions – agricultural intensification is blamed for the plummeting populations of these birds. Nature Lond. 418: 931–932. , , , , , &
- 2006. A review of invertebrates and seed-bearing plants as food for farmland birds in Europe. Ann. Appl. Biol. 148: 49–71. , , &
- 2009. Available at: http://www.BOUPROC.net, in press. , &
- Natural England. 2009. Available at: http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/farming/funding/es/default.aspx, accessed May 2009.
- 2004. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain. An appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 579–600.
- 1997. Farming and Birds in Europe: The Common Agricultural Policy and its Implications for Bird Conservation. London: Academic Press. & ( eds )
- 2004. Habitat selection by song thrushes in stable and declining farmland populations. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 275–293. , , , , , , &
- 2009. Available at: http://www.BOUPROC.net, in press. , , &
- 2002. Reed Bunting, Emberiza schoeniclus. In Wernham, C.V., Toms, M.P., Marchant, J.H., Clark, J.A., Siriwardena, G.M. & Baille, S.R. (eds) The Migration Atlas: Movements of the Birds of Britain and Ireland: 675–677. London: T. & A.D. Poyser.
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. http://www.R-project.org .
- 2008. The Breeding Bird Survey 2007. BTO Research Report 508. Thetford: British Trust for Ornithology. , &
- 2002. Post-war changes in arable farming and biodiversity in Great Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 39: 157–176. &
- 2004. Habitat use by seed-eating birds: a scale-dependent approach. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 87–98. , , &
- 2000. Changes in agriculture and the status of birds breeding in European farmland. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 17–25. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union.
- 2010. The importance of spatial and temporal scale for agri-environment scheme delivery. Ibis, in press doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2010.01034.x.
- 2007. How can agri-environment measures providing winter food for birds best deliver population increases? Asp. Appl. Biol. 81: 117–126. &
- 2004. Effects of habitat on the use of supplementary food by farmland birds in winter. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 144–154. &
- 2000. The demography of lowland farmland birds. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 117–133. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , , , &
- 2006. The effect of the spatial distribution of winter seed food resources on their use by farmland birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 43: 628–639. , , &
- 2008. Farmland birds and late winter food: does seed supply fail to meet demand? Ibis 150: 585–595. , &
- 2004. Development of an agri-environment scheme option: seed bearing crops for farmland birds. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 203–209. , &
- 2000. The contribution of the UK Biodiversity Action Plan and agri-environment schemes to the conservation of farmland birds in England. In Aebischer, N.J., Evans, A.D., Grice, P.V. & Vickery, J.A. (eds) Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds: 36–42. Tring: British Ornithologists’ Union. , &
- 2004. Ecology and Conservation of Lowland Farmland Birds II: The Road to Recovery. Ibis 146 (Suppl. 2): 1–258. , , , & (eds)
- 2009. European trends in farmland birds. Available at: http://www.BOUPROC.net, in press. , , , &
- 2004. The effects of habitat structure on predation risk of birds in agricultural landscapes. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 210–220. &
- 2005. Habitat selection by yellowhammers Emberiza citrinella on lowland farmland at two spatial scales: implications for conservation management. J. Appl. Ecol. 42: 270–280. , , , &
- 1999. A review of the abundance of invertebrate and plant foods of granivorous birds in northern Europe in relation to agricultural change. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 75: 13–30. , , , &