The provision of winter bird food by the English Environmental Stewardship scheme
Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 British Ornithologists’ Union
Volume 153, Issue 1, pages 14–26, January 2011
How to Cite
FIELD, R. H., MORRIS, A. J., GRICE, P. V. and COOKE, A. (2011), The provision of winter bird food by the English Environmental Stewardship scheme. Ibis, 153: 14–26. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2010.01087.x
- Issue online: 6 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2010
- Received 12 June 2009; revision accepted 25 October 2010. Associate Editor: Gavin Siriwardena.
- 2003. Evaluation of the impact of the pilot UK arable stewardship scheme on breeding and wintering birds. Bird Study 50: 131–141. &
- 2004. Five-year evaluation of the impact of the pilot Arable Stewardship scheme on birds. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 171–180. , , &
- 2008. Wintering Cirl Buntings Emberiza cirlus in southwest England select cereal stubbles that follow a low-input herbicide regime. Bird Study 55: 23–31. , , &
- 2006. Leaving final-cut grass silage in situ overwinter as a seed resource for declining farmland birds. Biodivers. Conserv. 15: 3827–3845. &
- 1999. Use of set-aside land in winter by declining farmland bird species in the UK. Bird Study 46: 157–169. , , , &
- 2004. Quantifying the effects of habitat structure on prey detectability and accessibility to farmland birds. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 123–130. &
- 2005. Stubble height manipulation causes differential use of stubble fields by farmland birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 42: 469–476. , &
- 2006. The ranging behaviour of some granivorous passerines on farmland in winter determined by mark–recapture ringing and by radiotelemetry. Ibis 148: 169–173. , &
- 1997. A Review of the Indirect Effects of Pesticides on Birds. JNCC Report No. 227. Peterborough: JNCC. , , , , &
- 2000. Changes in the abundance of farmland birds in relation to the timing of agricultural intensification in England and Wales. J. Appl. Ecol. 37: 771–788. , , , &
- 2004. Habitat establishment on arable land: assessment of an agri-environment scheme in England, UK. Biol. Conserv. 119: 429–442. , , , &
- 2010. Assessing the impact of Entry Level Stewardship on lowland farmland birds in England. Ibis 152: 459–474. , , , , &
- 2008. The State of the UK’s Birds 2007. Sandy, UK: RSPB, BTO, WWT, CCW, EHS, NE and SNH. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. An example of a two-tiered agri-environment scheme designed to deliver effectively the ecological requirements of both localised and widespread bird species in England. J. Ornithol. 148: S279–S286. &
- 2002. The role of research and development in the evolution of a ‘smart’ agri-environment scheme. Asp. Appl. Biol. 67: 253–264. , &
- 1995. Population declines and range contractions among lowland farmland birds in Britain. Conserv. Biol. 9: 1425–1441. , , , , , &
- 1993. The New Atlas of Breeding Birds in Britain and Ireland: 1988–1991. London: Poyser. , & (eds)
- 2005. Winter availability of cereal stubbles attracts declining farmland birds and positively influences breeding population trends. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 272/1564: 733–739. , , &
- 1978. Factors affecting the diet of farmland skylarks Alauda arvensis. J. Anim. Ecol. 47: 913–928.
- 2004. The state of play of farmland birds; population trends and conservation status of lowland farmland birds in the United Kingdom. Ibis 146(Suppl. 2): 1–14. , &
- 2002. Widespread local House Sparrow extinctions. Nature 418: 931–932. , , , , &
- 2003. How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 947–969. &
- 2001. Agri-environment schemes do not effectively protect biodiversity in Dutch agricultural landscapes. Nature 413: 723–725. , , &
- 2006. Mixed biodiversity benefits of agri-environment schemes in five European countries. Ecol. Lett. 9: 243–254. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- Natural England 2008a. Entry Level Stewardship Handbook, 2nd edn. Peterborough: Natural England.
- Natural England 2008b. Higher Level Stewardship. Part C. Options, Capital items and Management Conditions Handbook, 2nd edn. Peterborough: Natural England.
- Natural England 2010. Entry Level Stewardship Handbook, 3rd edn. Peterborough: Natural England.
- 2004. The recent declines of farmland bird populations in Britain: an appraisal of causal factors and conservation actions. Ibis 146: 579–600.
- 2008. Landscape-dependent use of a seed-rich habitat by farmland passerines: relative importance of game cover crops in a grassland versus an arable region of Scotland. Bird Study 55: 118–123. &
- 1999. Long-term changes in overwinter survival rates explain the decline of reed buntings Emberiza schoeniclus in Britain. J. Appl. Ecol. 36: 798–811. , &
- 2001. Countryside stewardship delivers Cirl Buntings (Emberiza cirlus) in Devon, UK. Biol. Conserv. 101: 361–373. , , &
- 2000. Habitat characteristics affecting use of lowland agricultural grassland by birds. Biol. Conserv. 95: 279–294. , , , , &
- 2008. Winter bird use of seed-rich habitats in agri-environment schemes. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 126: 189–194. , &
- 2004a. Providing foraging resources for bumblebees in intensively farmed landscapes. Biol. Conserv. 121: 479–494. , , , , , , , &
- 2004b. Assessing habitat quality for butterflies on intensively managed arable farmland. Biol. Conserv. 118: 313–325. , , , , , , , &
- 2001. The importance of arable habitat for farmland birds in grassland landscapes. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 1059–1069. , &
- SAS Institute 2003. The SAS System for Windows, Version 9.1. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- 2003. Birds, Scythes and Combines. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1998. Trends in the abundance of farmland birds: a quantitative comparison of smoothed Common Birds Census indices. J. Appl. Ecol. 35: 24–43. , , , , &
- 2006. The effect of the spatial distribution of winter seed food resources on their use by farmland birds. J. Appl. Ecol. 43: 628–639. , , &
- 2007. The effect of supplementary winter seed food on breeding populations of farmland birds: evidence from two large-scale experiments. J. Appl. Ecol. 44: 920–932. , , , , &
- 2008. Farmland birds and late winter food: does seed supply fail to meet demand? Ibis 150: 585–595. , &
- 2006. Effects of the Arable Stewardship Pilot Scheme on breeding birds at field and farm scales. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 112: 283–290. &
- 2004. The role of agri-environment schemes and farm management practices in reversing the decline of farmland birds in England. Biol. Conserv. 119: 19–39. , , , &
- 2008. Zero Rate of Set-Aside: Evaluating the Potential Impact on Farmland Birds and the Implications for Requirements for ELS Uptake and Related Measures. DEFRA project BD1640. London: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. , , &
- 2002. The influence of substrate on the functional response of an avian granivore and its implications for farmland bird conservation. Oecologia 130: 637–644. &
- 1997. Territory distribution and breeding success of skylarks Alauda arvensis on organic and intensive farmland in southern England. J. Appl. Ecol. 34: 1462–1478. , , &
- 2009. Bird Conservation and Agriculture. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , &