Modelling conservation management options for a southern range-margin population of Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria vulnerable to climate change
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
© 2011 British Trust for Ornithology. Journal compilation © 2011 British Ornithologists’ Union
Volume 153, Issue 2, pages 345–356, April 2011
How to Cite
PEARCE-HIGGINS, J. W. (2011), Modelling conservation management options for a southern range-margin population of Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria vulnerable to climate change. Ibis, 153: 345–356. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2011.01108.x
- Issue published online: 17 MAR 2011
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2011
- Received 9 June 2010; revision accepted 24 January 2011. Associate Editor: Farah Ishtiaq.
- 2007. Increasing connectivity in fragmented landscapes: an investigation of evidence for biodiversity gain in woodlands. For. Ecol. Manag. 238: 7–23.
- 2007. The impact of predator control on lapwing Vanellus vanellus breeding success on wet grassland nature reserves. J. Appl. Ecol. 44: 534–544. , , &
- 2001. The sensitivity of peat-covered upland landscapes. Catena 42: 345–360. &
- 1987. Antipredator behavior and breeding success in greater Golden-plover and Eurasian Dotterel. Condor 89: 40–47.
- 1959. Observations on the Tipulidae (Diptera) of the Moor House Nature Reserve, Westmorland. Trans. R. Entomol. Soc. Lond. 111: 157–174.
- 1962. The biology of Tipula subnodicornis Zetterstedt, with comparative observations on Tipula paludosa Meigen. J. Anim. Ecol. 31: 1–21.
- 1990. The effect of open drainage ditches on the plant and invertebrate communities of moorland and on the decomposition of peat. J. Appl. Ecol. 27: 549–561. , &
- 1992. Trends in the Breeding Performance of Golden Plover in Britain. JNCC Report No. 23. Peterborough: JNCC.
- 2002. Environmental change and Antarctic seabird population. Science 297: 1510–1514. , &
- 2005. The effect of recreational disturbance on an upland breeding bird, the Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria. Biol. Conserv. 121: 53–63. , &
- 2010. Changes in breeding success and abundance of ground-nesting moorland birds in relation to the experimental deployment of legal predator control. J. Appl. Ecol. 47: 263–272. , , , &
- 2006. Census error and the detection of density dependence. J. Anim. Ecol. 75: 837–851. , , &
- 2006. From plankton to top predators: bottom-up control of a marine food web across four trophic levels. J. Anim. Ecol. 75: 1259–1268. , , , &
- 2010. Species management in the face of a changing climate. In Baxter, J.M. & Galbraith, C.A. (eds) Species Management: Challenges and Solutions for the 21st Century: 517–536. Edinburgh: HMSO. &
- 2008. Performance of climate envelope models in retrodicting recent changes in bird population size from observed climate change. Biol. Lett. 4: 599–602. , , , , &
- 2009. An indicator of the impact of climate change on European bird populations. PLoS ONE 4: e4678. , , , , , , , , &
- 2009. Biodiversity management in the face of climate change: a review of 22 years of recommendations. Biol. Conserv. 142: 14–32. &
- 2004. PLANTATT – Attributes of British and Irish Plants: Status Life History, Geography and Habitats. Wallingford: CEH. , &
- 2009. Climate change, connectivity and conservation decision making: back to basics. J. Appl. Ecol. 46: 964–969. , , &
- 2004. Artificial drainage of peatlands: hydrological and hydrochemical process and wetland restoration. Prog. Phys. Geog. 28: 95–123. , &
- 2007. A Climatic Atlas of European Breeding Birds. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. , , &
- 2008. Potential impacts of climatic change on European breeding birds. PLoS ONE 3: e1439. , , &
- 2007. Projected impacts of climate and land-use change on the global diversity of birds. PLoS Biol. 5: e157. , &
- 2007. Climate envelope, life history traits and the resilience of birds facing global change. Glob. Change Biol. 13: 1672–1684. , , , &
- 1996. SAS System for Mixed Models. Cary, NC: SAS Institute. , , &
- 2008. Predation on wader nests in Europe. Ibis 150(Suppl. 1): 73–75. &
- 2007. The complexity of predicting climate-induced ecological impacts. Clim. Res. 35: 165–175. , &
- 2004. Managing threatened species: the ecological toolbox, evolutionary theory and declining-population paradigm. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 413–426.
- 2004. Climate change meets habitat fragmentation: linking landscape and biogeographical scale level in research and conservation. Biol. Conserv. 117: 285–297. &
- 1992. The decline to extinction of a population of Golden Plover in north east Scotland. Ornis Scand. 23: 152–158.
- How ecological science can help manage the effects of climate change: a case study of upland birds. In Marrs, S.J., Foster, S., Hendrie, E.C., Mackey, E.C. & Thompson, D.B.A. (eds) The Changing Nature of Scotland. Edinburgh: TSO Scotland. in press.
- 2003. Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria breeding success on a moor managed for shooting Red Grouse Lagopus lagopus. Bird Study 50: 170–177. &
- 2004. Habitat selection, diet, arthropod availability and growth of a moorland wader: the ecology of European Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria chicks. Ibis 146: 335–346. &
- 2005. Warmer springs advance the breeding phenology of Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria and their prey (Tipulidae). Oecologia 143: 470–476. , &
- 2009. International importance and drivers of change of upland bird populations. In Bonn, A., Allot, T., Hubacek, K. & Stewart, J. (eds) Drivers of Environmental Change in Uplands: 209–227. London: Routledge. , , , &
- 2010. Impacts of climate on prey abundance account for fluctuations in a population of a northern wader at the southern edge of its range. Glob. Change Biol. 16: 12–23. , , &
- 2011. Targeting research to underpin climate change adaptation for birds. Ibis 153: 207–211. , , , , &
- 1993. Breeding biology of the Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria in eastern Finnish Lapland. Ornis Fenn. 70: 40–42. &
- 2010. Conservation-reliant species and the future of conservation. Cons. Lett. 3: 91–97. , , , &
- 2000. Impacts of a global climate cycle on population dynamics of a migratory songbird. Science 288: 2040–2042. , &
- 1991. Effects of moor-draining on the hydrology and vegetation of northern Pennine blanket bog. J. Appl. Ecol. 28: 1105–1117. &
- 2001. The effect of management for red grouse shooting on the population density of breeding birds on heather dominated moorland. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 439–457. , , , &
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427: 145–148. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- UKCP09. 2010. UK Climate Projections. http://ukclimateprojections.defra.gov.uk/. Data downloaded March 2010.
- 2001. The impact of peat harvesting and natural regeneration on the water balance of an abandoned, cut-over bog, Quebec. Hydrol. Process. 15: 233–248. &
- 2008. Keeping up with a warming world; assessing the rate of adaptation to climate change. Proc. R. Soc. B. 275: 649–659.
- 2008. Adapting landscapes to climate change: examples of climate-proof ecosystem networks and priority adaptation zones. J. Appl. Ecol. 45: 1722–1731. , , , , , , &
- 2001. Habitat selection by Golden Plover Pluvialis apricaria chicks. Basic Appl. Ecol. 2: 177–191. , &
- 2002. Nest-site selection by Golden Plover: why do shorebirds avoid nesting on slopes? J. Avian Biol. 33: 184–190. , &
- 1979. The hydrology of a peatland catchment in Northern Ireland following channel clearance and land drainage. In Hollis, G.E. (ed.) Man’s Impact on the Hydrological Cycle in the United Kingdom: 93–107. Norwich: GeoAbstracts.
- 2007. Compensatory mitigation as a solution to fisheries bycatch-biodiversity conservation conflicts. Front. Ecol. Environ. 5: 325–331. &
- 1997. Density-dependence and winter weather as factors affecting the size of a population of Golden Plovers Pluvialis apricaria. Bird Study 44: 227–234. &