Seasonal movements of Gyrfalcons Falco rusticolus include extensive periods at sea
Article first published online: 14 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Ibis © 2011 British Ornithologists’ Union
Volume 153, Issue 3, pages 468–484, July 2011
How to Cite
BURNHAM, K. K. and NEWTON, I. (2011), Seasonal movements of Gyrfalcons Falco rusticolus include extensive periods at sea. Ibis, 153: 468–484. doi: 10.1111/j.1474-919X.2011.01141.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 14 JUN 2011
- Received 10 November 2010; revision accepted 2 May 2011. Associate Editor: Fabrizio Sergio.
- 1996. Bimodal orientation and the occurrence of temporary reverse bird migration during autumn in south Scandinavia. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 38: 293–302. , , &
- 1986. Spring migration of birds across the Greenland inland ice. MoG: Bioscience 21: 1–38. , , , , &
- 2006. Seabird numbers and prey consumption in the North Atlantic. ICES J. Mar. Sci. 63: 1145–1158. , , , , , &
- 2001. Bird Migration: A General Survey. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1996. Seabird Colonies in Western Greenland (60°–79°30′ N. lat.). NERI Technical Rep. 170. Copenhagen: National Environmental Research Institute. , , &
- 2004. The significance of Southwest Greenland as winter quarters for seabirds. Bird Conserv. Int. 14: 87–112. , , &
- 2003. Gyrfalcon diet in central west Greenland during the nesting period. Condor 105: 528–537. &
- 2008. Gyrfalcon (Falco rusticolus). In Poole, A. (ed.) The Birds of North America Online: Ithaca, NY: Cornell Lab of Ornithology. http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/114 (accessed 10 September 2010). , &
- 1999. Performance and accuracy evaluation of small satellite transmitters. J. Wildl. Manage. 63: 1349–1358. , &
- 1984. Seabirds in the Greenland, Barents and Norwegian Seas, February–April 1982. Polar Res. 2: 1–18.
- 1978. Vogelfag und Vogelberingung/Bird Trapping and Bird Banding: A Handbook for Trapping Methods All Over the World. Translated by Hamerstrom, F. & Wuertz-Schaefer, K. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 2008. Inter- and intraspecific variation of breeding biology, movements, and genotype in Peregrine Falcon Falco peregrinus and Gyrfalcon F. rusticolus populations in Greenland. D.Phil. Thesis, University of Oxford.
- 1984. Biology of the Peregrine and Gyrfalcon in Greenland. Meddelelser om Grønland: Bioscience 14: 1–28. &
- 1960. Ecology of the Peregrine and Gyrfalcon populations in Alaska. Univ. Calif. Publ. Zool. 63: 151–290.
- 1982. The Falcons of the World. London: Williams Collins Sons.
- 1998. Falco rusticolus Gyrfalcon. BWP Update (J. Birds Western Palearct.) 2: 1–25. , &
- 2008. Tracking seasonal movements of adult male Harlequin Ducks from central Labrador using satellite telemetry. Waterbirds 31(Special Publication 2): 173–182. , , , , &
- 1996. The distribution and abundance of seabirds off southwestern Greenland in autumn and winter 1988–1989. Polar Res. 15: 23–42. &
- 2003. Estimating colony area and population size of Little Auks Alle alle at Northumberland Island using aerial images. Polar Biol. 26: 8–13. , , &
- 2001. Raptors of the World. London: Christopher Helm. &
- 1995. The use of satellite systems for the study of bird migration. Isr. J. Zool. 41: 243–252. , &
- 1998. Routes and travel rates of migrating Peregrine Falcons Falco peregrinus and Swainson’s Hawk Buteo swainsoni in the Western Hemisphere. J. Avian Biol. 29: 433–440. , &
- 2003. Snowy Owl movements: variation on the migration theme. In Berthold, P., Gwinner, E. & Sonnenschein, E. (eds) Avian Migration: 359–366. New York: Springer. , &
- 2004. Autumn migration and wintering areas of Peregrine Falcons Falco peregrinus nesting on the Kola Peninsula, northern Russia. Ibis 146: 291–297. , , , , , , , &
- 2010. Post-breeding movements of northeast Atlantic Ivory Gull Pagophila eburnea populations. J. Avian Biol. 41: 532–542. , , , , , &
- 2002. Dark-bellied Brent Geese Branta bernicla bernicla, as recorded by satellite telemetry, do not minimize flight distance during spring migration. Ibis 144: 106–121. , , , &
- 1960. Some reflections on ptarmigan cycles in Iceland. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 12: 259–265.
- 2001. The implications of location accuracy for the interpretation of satellite-tracking data. Anim. Behav. 61: 1035–1040. , , , &
- 2000. Animal Movement Extension to ArcView ver. 2.0 and Later. Anchorage: USGS Alaska Biological Science Center. &
- 1953. Birds and mammals of Peary Land in north Greenland. Meddelelser om Grønland 128: 1–135.
- 1993. Use of satellite telemetry for study of a Gyrfalcon in Greenland. J. Raptor Res. 27: 75–76. , , , , , , , &
- 1980. Distribution and breeding biology of raptors in the Thelon River area, Northwest Territories, 1957–1969. Can. Field Nat. 94: 121–130.
- 1998. Birds of Bylot Island and adjacent Baffin Island, Northwest Territories, Canada, 1979 to 1997. Arctic 51: 125–141. , &
- 2003. Migration and winter ranges of birds in Greenland. Dansk Orn. Foren. Tidsskr. 97: 11–167.
- 1910. The terrestrial mammals and birds of north-east Greenland. From Danish by Mattox, W.G Meddeleser om Grønland 45: 183–187.
- 1982. A radio-tracking study of the ranging behaviour and dispersion of European sparrowhawks Accipiter nisus. J. Anim. Ecol. 51: 111–133. &
- 2009. Movements of juvenile Gyrfalcons from western and interior Alaska following departure from their natal areas. J. Raptor Res. 43: 99–109. , &
- 1982. Spring migration and habitat use by seabirds in eastern Lancaster Sound and western Baffin Bay. Arctic 35: 88–111.
- 1982. Seabird concentrations in late summer along the coasts of Devon and Ellesmere Island, N.W.T. Arctic 35: 112–117. &
- 1961. Methods, ancient, medieval, and modern, for the capture of falcons and other birds of prey. In Wood, C.A. & Fyfe, F.M. (eds) The Art of Falconry: 433–449. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 2002. Winter seabird distribution and abundance off south-western Greenland, 1999. Polar Res. 21: 17–36. , , &
- 1995. Zug und Überwiterung des Schreiadlers Aquila pomarina: Satellitentelemetrische Untersuchungen. J. Ornithol. 136: 401–422. , &
- 2004. Migration, wintering and breeding of a Lesser Spotted Eagle (Aquila pomarina) from Slovakia tracked by satellite. J. Ornithol. 145: 1–7. , , &
- 1999. Late winter distribution and abundance of sea-associated birds in south-western Greenland, the Davis Strait and southern Baffin Bay. Polar Res. 18: 1–17. &
- 2006. Year-round movements of Northern Common Eiders Somateria mollissima borealis breeding in Arctic Canada and west Greenland followed by satellite telemetry. Ardea 94: 651–665. , , , , &
- 2001. Population cycles in birds of the grouse family (Tetraonidae). Adv. Ecol. Res. 32: 53–111. &
- 1979. Population Ecology of Raptors. London: T & AD Poyser.
- 1986. The Sparrowhawk. Calton, Staffordshire: T & AD Poyser Ltd.
- 2003. The Speciation and Biogeography of Birds. London: Academic Press.
- 2008. The Migration Ecology of Birds. London: Academic Press.
- 1990. Annual cycle of the Gyrfalcon in Iceland. Natl Geogr. Res. 6: 41–62. &
- 1977. The breeding behavior of wild and captive Gyrfalcons in relation to their environment and human disturbance. PhD Thesis, Cornell University.
- 2005. The Gyrfalcon. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. &
- 1933. Lidt om fuglene I og omkring Julianehaab. Dansk Orn. Foren. Tidsskr. 27: 19–25.
- 1982. The Dovekie, Alle alle, as a spring migrant in Eastern Lancaster Sound and Western Baffin Bay. Arctic 35: 118–125. , &
- 1950. Grønlands Fugle/Birds of Greenland. Copenhagen: Ejnar Munksgaard.
- An avian terrestrial predator of the Arctic relies on the marine ecosystem during winter. J. Avian Biol. , & In Press.
- 1963. Birds of the Labrador Peninsula and Adjacent Areas. Pittsburg, PA: Carnegie Museum.
- 1971. The occurrence of Greenland and European birds in Newfoundland. Bird Banding 42: 184–209.
- 1967. Arctic animals in relation to climatic fluctuations. Meddelelser om Grønland 170: 1–227.
- 1998. Population dynamics of Scottish Rock Ptarmigan cycles. Ecology 79: 1174–1192. , &
- 1972. The dynamics of a fluctuating population of Rock Ptarmigan in Alaska. Proc. Int. Ornithol. Congr. 15: 90–106. &