Nitrous oxide emissions from grazed grassland
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2007
Soil Use and Management
Volume 13, Issue Supplement s4, pages 288–295, December 1997
How to Cite
Oenema, O., Velthof, G. L., Yamulki, S. and Jarvis, S. C. (1997), Nitrous oxide emissions from grazed grassland. Soil Use and Management, 13: 288–295. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.1997.tb00600.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2007
- 1996. Nitrous oxide emissions from soils due to inputs of nitrogen from excreta return by livestock on grazed grassland in the UK. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 28, 297–607. , &
- 1984. Nitrogen relationships in intensively managed temperate grasslands. Plant and Soil 76, 23–33. &
- 1995. Compilation of a Global Inventory of Emissions of Nitrous Oxide. PhD Thesis, Wageningen Agricultural University.
- 1995. Emission of nitrous oxide from some grazed pasture soils in New Zealand. Australian Journal of Soil Research 33, 341–352. , &
- 1996. Fate of urine nitrogen on mineral and peat soils in New Zealand, Plant and Soil 178, 141–152. , , &
- 1993. Limits to denitrification in two pasture soils in a temperate maritime climate. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 43, 49–68.
- 1993. The response of a ryegrass sward to wheel traffic and applied nitrogen. Grass and Forage Science 48, 91–100. &
- 1996. Influence of cattle wastes on nitrous oxide and methane fluxes in pasture land. Journal of Environmental Quality 25, 1366–1370. , , , &
- 1993. N2O, CO2 and O2 concentrations in soil air influenced by organic and inorganic fertilizers and soil compaction. Norwegian Journal of Agricultural Sciences 7, 1–10. &
- 1995. Effect of fertilizer application on NO and N2O fluxes from agricultural fields. Journal of Geophysical Research 100, 25923–25931. , , &
- 1993. Nutrient cycling and soil fertility in the grazed pasture ecosystem. Advances in Agronomy 49, 119–199. &
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climatic Change). 1994. Radiative forcing of climate change. The 1994 report of the scientific assessment working group of IPCC. Summary for policy makers, WMO, IPCC, UNEP.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climatic Change). 1997. Nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide in agriculture; OECD/IPCC/IEP phase II development of IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventory methodology. Workshop Report, 4-6 December, 1995, OECD, IPCC, IEA, Geneva (in press).
- 1989. Ammonia fluxes from grazed grassland: annual losses from cattle production systems and their relation to nitrogen input. Journal of Agricultural Science 113, 99–108. , &
- 1992. The global sources of nitrous oxide. Journal of Geophysical Research 97, 14651–14660. &
- 1997. Nitrous oxide production, its source and distribution in urine patches on grassland on peat soil. Plant and Soil 191, 57–65. , &
- 1970. Fouling of pastures by dung. Herbage Abstracts 40, 123–130. &
- 1993. Nitrous oxide and dinitrogen emissions from urine-affected soil under controlled conditions. Plant and Soil 151, 127–138. &
- 1985. Denitrification in a shortgrass prairie: A modelling approach. In: Planetary Ecology (eds D. E.Caldwell, J. A.Brierley & C. L.Brierley) Van Nostrand Reinhold Co, New York , pp. 441–452. &
- 1989. Chamber and isotope techniques. In: Exchange of Trace Gases between Terrestrial Ecosystems and the Atmosphere (eds M. O.Andrea & D. S.Schimel), Life Sciences Research Report 47, John Wiley, Chichester , pp. 175–187.
- 1991. Methane and nitrous oxide fluxes in native, fertilized, and cultivated grasslands, Nature 350, 330–332. , , &
- 1997. Factors influencing N2O emission from dung pasture soil affected by animal urine or ploughing. European Journal of Soil Science, in press. , &
- 1990. Soil compaction impacts of grazing in mixed prairie and fescue grassland ecosystems of Alberta. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 70, 157–167. , , , &
- 1995. N2O-Freisetzung von Exkrementflecken auf dem Weideland, Abstract VDLUFA, Garmisch-Partenkirchen 1995, pp. 275. , &
- 1990. Atmospheric emissions and trends of nitrous oxide deduced from ten years of ALE-GAGE data. Journal of Geophysical Research 95, 18369–18385. , et al.
- 1984. Nitrate leaching from grassland. Nature 311, 50–53. , &
- 1986. Gaseous losses of nitrogen from grassland. In: Nitrogen Fluxes in Intensive Grassland Systems (eds H. G.Van derMeer, J. C.Ryden & G. C.Ennik), Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Dortrecht , pp. 59–73.
- 1992. Global methane emissions from livestock and poultry manure. United States Environmental Protection Agency, Washington . , , &
- 1983. Initial emission of nitrous oxide from sheep urine applied to pasture soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 15, 615–617. &
- 1981. The Ecology of Grazed Pastures. In: Grazing Animals (ed. F. H. W.Morley). Elsevier, Amsterdam , pp. 13–31.
- 1988. Ecology of denitrification and dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium. In: Biology of anaerobic microorganisms (ed. A. J. B.Zehnder), pp. 179–224.
- 1992. Effects of soil compaction and waterfilled pore space on soil microbial activity and N losses. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analyis 23, 1321–1331. &
- 1994. Nitrous oxide emission out of grassland. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 31, 145–152. , , &
- 1994. Effect of nitrogen fertilizer type and urine on nitrous oxide flux from grassland in early spring. In: Grassland and Society, Proceedings of the 15th General Meeting of the European Grassland Federation (eds L.'tMannetje & J.Frame), Wageningen, pp. 458–462. &
- 1995a. Nitrous oxide fluxes from grassland in the Netherlands: I. Statistical analysis of flux-chamber measurements. European Journal of soil Science 46, 533–544. &
- 1995b. Nitrous oxide fluxes from grassland in the Netherlands: II. Effects of soil type, nitrogen fertilizer application and grazing. European Journal of Soil Science 46, 541–549. &
- 1996a Spatial variability of nitrous oxide fluxes in mown and grazed grasslands on a poorly drained clay soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 28, 1215–1225. , , , &
- 1996b. Prediction of nitrous oxide fluxes from managed grassland on peat soils using a simple empirical model. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 44, 339–356. , , &
- 1996c. Seasonal variations in nitrous oxide losses from managed grassland in The Netherlands. Plant and Soil 181, 263–274. , &
- 1997. Effects of type and amount of applied nitrogen fertilizer on nitrous oxide fluxes from intensively managed grassland. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 46, 257–267. , , &
- 1997. Contribution of urine patches to the emission of N2O. In: Proceedings International Conference on Nitrogen Emissions from Grassland; Gaseous Transfer and their Interactions. IGER, North Wyke, Okehampton , Devon , 20-22 May, 1996. (in press). , &
- 1986. Soil response to trampling under intensive rotation grazing. Soil Science Society of America Journal 50, 1336–1341. , , &
- 1997. Impact of dicyandiamide on nitrous oxide emissions following return of animal excreta to grassland. Soil Biology & Biochemistry (submitted). &
- 1997. Nitrous oxide emissions from excreta in a simulated grazing pattern. Soil Biology & Biochemistry (submitted). , &
- 1997. Nitrous oxide emissions from excreta from simulated grazing pattern and fertilizer application to grassland. In: Proceedings International Conference on Nitrogen Emissions from Grassland; Gaseous Transfers and their Interactions. IGER, North Wyke, Okehampton , Devon , 20-22 May, 1996. (in press). &