Emissions of N2O and NO associated with nitrogen fertilization in intensive agriculture, and the potential for mitigation
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2007
Soil Use and Management
Volume 13, Issue Supplement s4, pages 296–304, December 1997
How to Cite
Smith, K. A., McTaggart, I. P. and Tsuruta, H. (1997), Emissions of N2O and NO associated with nitrogen fertilization in intensive agriculture, and the potential for mitigation. Soil Use and Management, 13: 296–304. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.1997.tb00601.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2007
- 1994. Effect of nitrification inhibitors on emission of nitrous oxide from fertilized soils. In: Pedosphere: Proc. 2nd workshop on material cycling an the pedosphere (ed. Q. G.Zhao), Nanjing Univ. Press, Nanjing , pp. 21–30. &
- 1984. Acetylene and N-Serve effects upon N2O emissions from NH4 and NO-3 treated soils under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 16, 351–356. , &
- 1986. Other greenhouse gases and aerosols. In: The Greenhouse Effect, Climate Change and Ecosystems, SCOPE 29 (eds B.Bolin, B. R.Döös, J.Jäger & R. A.Warrick), Wiley, New York , pp. 157–203. , &
- 1990. Exchange of greenhouse gases between terrestrial ecosystems and the atmosphere. In: Soils and the Greenhouse Effect. (ed. A. F.Bouwman), Wiley, New York , pp 61–127.
- 1994. Method to estimate direct nitrous oxide emissions from agricultural soils. Report 773004004, National Institute of Public Health and Environmental Protection, Bilthoven .
- 1996. Direct emission of nitrous oxide from agricultural soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecoystems 46, 53–70.
- 1955. Uncertainties in the global source distribution of nitrous oxide. Journal of Geophyical Research 100, 2785–2800. , &
- 1981. Effect of nitrapyrin on emission of nitrous oxide from soils fertilized with anhydrous ammonia. Geophysical Research Letters 8, 353–356. , &
- 1991. Effect of encapsulated calcium carbide on dinitrogen, nitrous oxide, methane, and carbon dioxide emissions from flooded rice. Biology and Fertility of Soils 11, 116–120. &
- 1992. Nitrous oxide emissions in irrigated corn as affected by nitrification inhibitors. Soil Science Society of America Journal 56, 161–165. , &
- 1991. Nitrogen-15 recovery in winter wheat as affected by application timing and dicyandiamide. Soil Science Society of America Journal 55, 130–135. , , &
- 1990. Environmental effects of N fertilizer use – an overview. Fertilizer Research 26, 209–215.
- 1997. Nitrous oxide emissions from fertilised grassland: a two-year study of the effects of N fertiliser form and environmental conditions. Biology and Fertility of Soils 25, 252–260. , , , &
- 1996. Agricultural options for mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions. In: Climate change 1955. Impacts, adaptations and mitigation of climate change: scientific-technical analyses (eds R. T.Watson, M. C.Zinyowera, R. H.Moss & D. J.Dokken), Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , pp. 745–771. , , , &
- 1991. Fluxes of nitrous oxide and nitric oxide from terrestrial ecosystems. In: Microbial Production and Consumption of Greenhouse Gases: Methane, Nitrogen Oxides and Halomethanes (eds J. E.Rogers & W. B.Whitman). Am. Soc. Microbiol., Washington DC. , pp. 219–235.
- 1996. Mitigation alternatives to decrease nitrous oxides emissions and urea-nitrogen loss and their effect on methane flux. Journal of Environmental Quality 25, 1105–1111. & ,
- 1990. Nitrous oxide emissions from fertilized soils: Summary of available data. Journal of Environmental Quality 19, 272–280.
- 1989. Microbiological basis of NO and N2O production and consumption in soil. In: Exchange of Trace Gases between Terrestrial Ecosystems and the Atmosphere (ed. M. O.Andreae & D. S.Schimel), Wiley, Chichester , pp. 7–21. &
- 1978. Methods for analysis of denitrification in soils. In: Nitrogen in the environment, Vol 2. (eds D. R.Nielsen & J. G.MacDonald), Academic Press, New York , pp. 433–490.
- 1985. The emission of nitrogen to the remote atmosphere. In: The biogeochemical cycling of sulfur and nitrogen in the remote atmosphere (eds I. E.Galbally, R. J.Charlson, M. O.Andreae & H.Rohde), D. Reidel Publ. Co, Dordrecht , pp. 27–53.
- 1994. Nitrous oxide from agriculture. Norwegian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Supplement No 12, pp. 1–128. &
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel On Climatic Change) 1997 Nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide in agriculture; OECD/IPCC/IEA phase II development of IPCC guidelines for natural greenhouse gas inventory methodology. Workshop Report, 4-6 December, 1995, OECD, IPCC, IEA ( Geneva ) (in press).
- 1988. Emissions of nitrous oxide from tropical forest soils: Response to fertilization with ammonium, nitrate, and phosphate. Journal of Geophysical Research 93, 1600–1604. , , &
- 1956. Fertilization practices and soil variations control nitrogen oxide emissions from sugar cane. Journal of Geophysical Research 101, 18533–18545. , &
- 1994. Nitrous oxide flux from fertilized grassland: strategies for reducing emissions. In: Non-CO2 greenhouse gases: why and how to control?. (eds J.VanHam, L. J.Janssen & R. J.Swart), Kluwer, Dordrecbt , pp. 421–426. , & ,
- 1996. Nitrous oxide emissions from arable and grassland soils: Effect of crop type and nitrification inhibitors. Transactions 9th Nitrogen Workshop, Braunschweig, Sept. 1996, pp. 523–526. &
- 1997. Nitrous oxide emissions from grassland and spring barley, following N fertiliser application with and without nitrification inhibitors. Biology and Fertility of soils 25, 261–268. , , , &
- 1994. Effect of nitrification inhibiton and slow-release fertilizers on emissions of nitrous oxide from fertilized soils. In: CH4 and N2O: Global emissions and controls from rice fields and other agricultural and industrial sources. (eds K.Minami, A.Mosier & R.Sass), NIAES, Yokendo , Tokyo , pp. 187–196.
- 1996. Export and deposition of nitrogen in Japan. SCOPE Workshop on Effect of Human Disturbance on the Nitrogen Cycle in Asia, Taipei, August 1996. , &
- 1994. Nitrous oxide emissions from agricultural soils. Fertilizer Research 37, 191–200.
- 1996. Nitrogen fertilizer management for N2O and NO emissions in Mexican irrigated wheat. Transactions 9th Nitrogen Workshop, Braunschweig, Sept. 1996, pp. 531–534. , , &
- 1995. Other trace gases and atmospheric chemistry In: Climate change 1994: Radiative forcing of climate change and an evaluation of the IPCC IS92 emission scenarios (eds J. T.Houghton et al.), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , pp. 73–126. , , , , &
- 1996. Plant-type and N-fertilizer dependent variation of nitrous oxide emissions. Transactions 9th Nitrogen Workshop, Braunschweig, Sept. 1996, pp 539–542. , &
- 1997. Nitric oxide emissions from agricultural soils in temperate and tropical climates: sources, controls and mitigation options. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 48, 139–153. , &
- 1992. Fluxes of nitric and nitrous oxides from agricultural soils in a cool temperate climate. Atmospheric Environment 26A, 2477–2488. , , &
- 1993. Nitrification and denitrification as sources of nitric and nitrous oxide in a sandy loam soil. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 25, 1527–1536. , &
- 1997. The potential for feedback effects induced by global warming on emissions of nitrous oxide by soils. Global Change Biology 3, 327–338.
- 1989. Inhibition of nitrification by dicyandiamide in cool temperate conditions. In: Nitrogen in organic wastes applied to soils (eds J. A.Hansen & K.Henriksen), Academic Press, London , pp. 289–303. , , &
- 1997a. Emissions of N2O as a function of fertilizer N. Submitted to Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems. , , &
- 1997b. Effects of temperature, water content and mineral nitrogen on emissions of nitrous oxide by soils. Submitted to Atmospheric Environment. , , , &
- 1984. Anaerobic processes in soil. Plant and Soil 76, 197–212. , , , &
- 1995. N2O and NO emissions from fertilized soils, livestock waste and rice paddy fields. Proc. UK-Japan Workshop on Controlling Methane and the Nitrogen Cycle on Farms, Silsoe, Beds., March 1995, pp. 97–100.
- 1992. N2O and NO emissions from fertilized soils. Proc. 5th Internat. Workshop on Nitrous Oxide Emission, Tsukuba , pp. 281–285. , , , &
- 1993. Agriculture, the global nitrogen cycle, and trace gas flux. In: Biogeochemtstry of global change (ed. C.Oremland), Chapman and Hall, New York , pp. 193–208. &
- 1988. Nitrogen transformations near urea in soil: effects of nitrification inhibition, nitrifier activity and liming. Fertilizer Research 18, 201–212. &