Nitrous oxide emission from soils after incorporating crop residues
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
Soil Use and Management
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 82–87, June 2000
How to Cite
Baggs, E.M., Rees, R.M., Smith, K.A. and Vinten, A.J.A. (2000), Nitrous oxide emission from soils after incorporating crop residues. Soil Use and Management, 16: 82–87. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.2000.tb00179.x
- Issue published online: 19 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
- Received April 1999, accepted after revision January 2000
- 1991. Nitrous oxide production and denitrification in Scottish arable soils. Journal of Soil Science 42, 351–367. , , ,
- 1991. Crop residue type and placement effects on denitrification and mineralization. Soil Science Society of America Journal 55, 1020–1025. , , , ,
- 1984. The influence of plant residues on denitrification rates in conventional and zero-tilled soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 48, 790–794. , ,
- 1989. Carbon sources for bacterial denitrification. Advances in Soil Science 10, 113–142. , ,
- 1997. Nitrous oxide emission from agricultural soils. Canadian Journal of Soil Science 77, 113–123.
- 1996. Direct emission of nitrous oxide from agricultural soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 46, 53–70.
- 1998. Nitrous oxide emission from long-term manured soils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 62, 677–682. , ,
- 1996. Agricultural options for mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions In: Climate change 1995. Impacts, adaptations and mitigation of climate change: scientific-technical analyses, eds RTWatson MZinyowera RHMoss & DJDokken, Cambridge University Press Cambridge pp 745–771. , , , ,
- 1985. The effect of some carbon substrates on denitrification rates and carbon utilization in soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils 1, 183–187. ,
- 1999. Nitrous oxide emission from intensive agricultural systems: variations between crops and seasons; key driving variables; and mean emission factors. Journal of Geophysical Research 104, 26891–26899. , ,
- 1986. Effect of fertiliser source on denitrification and nitrous oxide emissions in a maize-field. Soil Science Society of America Journal 50, 644–648. ,
- 1990. Nitrous oxide emission from fertilised soils: Summary of available data. Journal of Environmental Quality 19, 272–280.
- 1980. Nitrous oxide from soil denitrification: Factors controlling its biological production. Science 208, 749–751. , ,
- 1998. Nitrous oxide release from arable soil: Importance of N-fertilization, crops and temporal variation. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30, 1553–1563. , , , , ,
- 1996. Enhanced denitrification in plots of N2-fixing faba beans compared to plots of a non-fixing legume and non-legumes. Biology and Fertility of Soils 21, 77–83. ,
- 1993. Denitrification and mineralization in soil amended with legume, grass and corn residues. Soil Science Society of America Journal 57, 1013–1020. , , ,
- 1994. Nitrous oxide emissions from agricultural soils. Fertiliser Research 37, 191–200.
- 1998. Assessing and mitigating N2O emissions from agricultural soils. Climatic Change 40, 7–38. , , , ,
- 1989. Denitrification and fermentation in plant-residue-amended soil. Biology and Fertility of Soils 7, 303–309. ,
- 1993. Statistical evaluation of median estimators for lognormally distributed variables. Soil Science Society of America Journal 57, 317–323. ,
- 1984. Role of available carbon and nitrogen in determining the rate of wheat straw decomposition. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 16, 459–464. , , ,
- 1993. Fluxes of nitrous oxide and other nitrogen trace gases from intensively managed landscapes: A global perspective In: Agricultural Ecosystem Effects on Trace Gases and Global Climate Change. ASA Special Publication 55 pp 95–108.
- SAC (Scottish Agricultural College) 1993. Fertiliser Series No. 5 Recommendations for Cereals: Nitrogen Technical Note.
- 1989. The nitrogen cycle in the Broadbalk wheat experiment: 15N-labelled fertilizer residues in the soil and in the soil microbial biomass. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 21, 529–533. , , ,
- 1993. Nitrification and denitrification as sources of nitric oxide and nitrous oxide in a sandy loam soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 25, 1527–1536. , ,
- 1995. The measurement of nitrous oxide emissions from soil by using chambers. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, London, A 351, 327–338. , , , , ,
- 1997. Emissions of N2O and NO associated with nitrogen fertilization in intensive agriculture, and the potential for mitigation. Soil Use and Management 13, 296–304. , ,
- 1990. Soil denitrification and nitrification potentials during the growing season relative to tillage. Soil Science Society of America Journal 54, 1602–1608. , ,
- 1986. Low temperature or low water effects on microbial decomposition of wheat residue. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 18, 577–582. , , ,
- 1999. Nitrogen conserving potential of successive ryegrass catch crops in continuous spring barley. Soil Use and Management 15, 195–200. &
- 1997. Automated soil monolith-flux chamber system for the study of trace gas fluxes. Soil Science Society of America Journal 61, 1323–1330. , , , ,
- 1984. Anaerobic processes in soil. Plant and Soil 76, 197–212. , , , ,
- 1998. Control of nitrate leaching from a nitrate vulnerable zone using paper mill waste. Soil Use and Management 14, 44–51. , , ,
- 1982. Nitrous oxide emission from permanent grass swards. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 33, 227–230. ,